News Cam lands first signing – and it’s another blow for Hasler

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cam lands first signing – and it’s another blow for Hasler
Cameron Ciraldo’s first official signing as head coach of the Bulldogs is his “bubble buddy” Chad Randall, the now former assistant to embattled Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler. Randall is seen as key to Ciraldo’s success, and Hasler fought hard to keep him, but a desire to make his name away from the club where his dad, Terry, was a legend led Randall to the Bulldogs.

“Cam and I got to know each other up in the team’s bubble on the Sunshine Coast,” he said. “We were neighbours up there in the bubble last year.

“After we’d finish our day’s work we would sit around and discuss all things footy and soon realised that we were on the same path. We’d talk about some of the simple stuff in footy and what you want out of your recruitment and things like that. We are definitely aligned in the way that we want to play the game and the way that we feel the game should be and could be played. I feel a real responsibility because I was his first recruit and I feel honoured to be working at the Canterbury club.”

Randall’s departure will be seized upon as a sign that Manly are falling apart after the inclusivity jersey fiasco.

“I was talking with Cam about coaching with him when the Tigers were talking with him, well before all of the Manly media started to take hold,” he said.

“This has not been the result of the rainbow jersey or how the season finished up – anything but, to be honest. Des wanted to keep me at the club, but for me it was always about my personal development as a coach. Des and the Manly club have been great for me and to me.

“I have learnt so much from Des. We’ve had some big conversations for some time and especially over the last six weeks about it and in the end he was very good to me – he put his arm around me and said congratulations. I look at what Dean Young has done at the Cowboys. He took himself out of a familiar environment [St George Illawarra] and he has had success at his new club. I have obvious ties with Manly, and I would never shut the door on a club like that, but for now, this is a huge opportunity.

“The other reason I went there was to work with Gus [general manager Phil Gould].”

As for being a first-grade coach?

“I’m not 100 per cent there yet. I still have a lot to learn.”

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Bit of a worry. Didn't see much of his coaching influence on Manly.....but maybe that's a good thing :grinning:.

Time will tell. Hopefully Gus moves in quickly if Randall is a non-event.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
T
Trepidation when you see the word Manly...but will trust in CC's judgement until we see how the Club's new coach pans out.

If Barrett-like then OMG but Gus here now so that's highly unlikely *cross fingers* :grinning:
They still allowed to call themselves Man-ly?
Obviously those rainbow jerseys didn't work...

Big Vibe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bit of a worry. Didn't see much of his coaching influence on Manly.....but maybe that's a good thing :grinning:.

Wouldn’t read too much into that considering how dictatorial Des is. Doubt Chad would’ve had much of an opportunity to influence.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gott give the guy a chance we all thought furner was a god send it’s up to the players how they will take and buy into cams philosophy

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Sandercock is gone? Doubt he was signed for footy chats or taking over Mounties.

Damodogs

Waterboy
Reaction score
Went to school with his older brother Matt (who was the better footy player when he was young). Many a drunk moment in that house. His dad Terry was an imposing man. It seems like Gus is letting CC pick his assistants/staff so im all good with that

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Remember one thing - Be it player or coach, when you work under Des - It's his way or the Highway, as confirmed by Sharks Premiership winning Hooker Michael Ennis.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Remember one thing - Be it player or coach, when you work under Des - It's his way or the Highway, as confirmed by Sharks Premiership winning Hooker Michael Ennis.
Yes for sure. I alluded to that in the first sentence. Des would be a nightmare for a keen, young, innovative coach with new ideas on the way the game is evolving.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Let's face it were have no idea how good it will be. People thought that barrets hires were good and well....

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Apart from the old women harping on about manly Randall is good at what he does and Ciraldo isn’t silly. I’ll relax and give them both a chance without worrying about the past

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far we have an unproven ex Penrith assistant coach as a head coach and an unproven ex Manly assistant as an assistant coach right? What will Randall's role actually be?