1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Talkin Sport Caller claims Bulldogs player and Pearce player swap

Discussion in 'Rumours' started by BushDog, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Freakzilla

Freakzilla Immortal

Hayne wouldn't fit into their team. Ponga is their fullback and Conor Watson their 5/8. They don't need Hayne. They need forwards. Buzz said they 100% offered him 500K a season.

2. Gotenks

Gotenks Immortal Gilded

Hayne could easily play centre for the Knights. But who gives a shit what Buzz said, it's simply not true. How could you even believe they offered him 500k a season? Lol.

3. chisdog

chisdog Kennel Enthusiast

I don't like the luxury tax idea because you are condoning going over the cap, but at a cost. People like Politis would be happy with that unless the tax is extremely high & it would have to be something like 10x the salary payment to make people think twice.

I certainly agree that what we have now is a joke & the NRL have their head in the sand about it. They wonder why people aren't watching & this is one reason why.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oatley Dog

Oatley Dog Kennel Enthusiast

Really? So, a bloke who has no history of playing NRL signs with a club for whatever price he signs for, the media suggest that he was offered a fortune to go elsewhere and because he doesn't apparently go the governing body is corrupt. Do you know any of this for sure? Seen a contract? Do you know what other forms of support the bloke was offered? No, of course you haven't but it just has to be the NRL's fault because......well who else can we blame - right? I'd hate to see what you think of Shaun Johnson taking less money to stay in NZ. that must be corruption as well. How about Taumololo - surely he's worth $1.5m a year now and he's only signed for $1m. So that's $10k a week he's blowing. Maybe, just maybe he wasn't offered $1.5m by the knights and maybe just maybe given his off field problems getting his life back on track is more of a priority and he thinks he can do it up there rather than down here. But hell lets just blame the NRL for not changing the state boundaries so Newcastle is in Qld.

5. Freakzilla

Freakzilla Immortal

Why would he lie about this? You have literally no way of knowing whether it is true or not.

6. Oatley Dog

True, but ask yourself a question. If you were the CEO of the Knights and you had money to spend would you offer $500K to an untried jailbird who has a proven history of being a complete and utter dickhead even before he got into trouble in the US or would you invest that money in keeping the Saifiti brothers plus herman plus a few others? I know which way I would go and it wouldn't be to buy more trouble, particularly when I have plenty of cash to spend and good players available elsewhere. Even Eastwood and Tolman would be a much better bet than him at that price. We supposedly on re-signed Tolman for $450k a year so if the Knights were to offer him say $600K we would let him go and they would get a class footballer who would bring a strong work ethic with him. He could teach their young blokes good footballing practices not how to land in gaol.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gotenks

Gotenks Immortal Gilded

Why not? This is the same bloke that said Pearce needs to hurry up and decided if he's leaving the Roosters so they can spend his 800k on another big signing lol.

But seriously, just think about it logically and there's absolutely no way he was offered this sort of money. Theres an article on him from a couple months back and in the article he said he wants to move back to sydney and live with his partner as an NRL career wasn't working out. He planned to get a regular job so he could provide for her and his kid that is due sometime this month and play park footy for fun. He's constantly being chased by US authorities for money as he owes them over 1.5m.

There's other quotes that i can't remember but the point is that surely a bloke in this type of situation would of signed $1.5m contract with a NSW team the instant it was offered to him?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dogzof95

Dogzof95 Kennel Enthusiast

By Sporting News

November 13, 2017 5:18am AEDT
    Something smells fishy with the Broncos salary cap after controversial prop Matt Lodge rejected a monster deal with Newcastle to stay at Red Hill, according to journalist Phil Rothfield.

MORE: Newcastle's unique salary cap problem that justifies their heavy spending | Guerra: Knights are aiming for top-eight finish

Lodge divided opinion last week when Brisbane handed him an NRL lifeline with a reported $85,000 one-year deal as Wayne Bennett plans to use him as his starting prop next season.

The former Tiger admitted he was close to calling it quits after accumulating a massive amount of debt from his lawsuit where he was forced to cough up $1.6 million in damages for assaulting a New York couple.

The hefty bill is the reason why Rothfield can't understand why Lodge wouldn't opt for a lucrative three-year $1.5 million contract with the cash-loaded Knights.

Brown reportedly looked into the services of the out-of-favour front-rower after an impressive year with Brisbane's feeder in the Redcliffe Dolphins, but Lodge chose to repay the favour to the Broncos for giving him a second chance.

But, it's a huge sacrifice that has put question marks on the the Queensland powerhouse's salary cap expenditure.

‘’Now I don’t know what’s happening with the Broncos salary cap and they go and sign him for $100,000,'' Rothfield told Fox Sports' NRL 360.

‘’I’m told he knocked back $400, $500 and $500 (thousand over three years).

‘’You haven’t worked for two years, so he’s taken as you’ve said $85,000, and I’m telling you Newcastle offered him $1.5 (million).

‘’I’m not saying there’s a rort but there’s something sus about it, how a kid who hasn’t earned money for so long, has stayed at the Broncos so cheap.’’

Panellist Andrew Webster butted in with some reasoning for Lodge's lower-paying choice.

‘’Power of one – he wants to go and play for Wayne Bennett,’’ he said.

If Lodge was so troubled by his inability to pay off his debts, the idea of moving to Newcastle could have both solved his financial issues and satisfied his desire to play first grade football.

‘’Theoretically, $1.5 (million) he nearly pays his debt in New York after three years. He at least gets half of it done if he’s sensible,’’ NRL 360 co-host Paul Kent said.

I’ll just wait for Newcastle to reject his claim!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Lov_Dog

Lov_Dog Kennel Enthusiast

Regardless of Knights offer being true (or likely) not .. there are some glaringly obvious generalizations in the reporting.
    Just to clarify a few basic points Lodge allegedly owes, $US1.234 million (AUD$1.6 million).
    3 years @ Knights on AUD$1.5M ~ $500,000/year.
    By the tax calculator, his take home would be closer to $300k/year (depending on negotiations around superannuation/insurance/deductions).
    He's not paying off the US debt anytime soon, regardless of Broncos or Knights.
    Potentially he's staying with Bronco's so his salary remains so small that the repayments will take even longer to finalise and may strike a deal to reduce them further.

‘’Theoretically, $1.5 (million) he nearly pays his debt in New York after three years. He at least gets half of it done if he’s sensible,’’ NRL 360 co-host Paul Kent said.

BS Paul Kent.

~c.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dogzof95

Dogzof95 Kennel Enthusiast

I think the Broncos already have/will be paying it off for him! You concentrate on the footy son and we’ll cover that fine for you! Just take the minimum contract of $85k, and if you perform well, by the time you’re 23 you will have a multi million dollar offer on the table!

The kid is being touted as a state of origin/Australian rep, his only 20 years of age!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Trafford10

Trafford10 Kennel Enthusiast Gilded

The luxury tax system works in the MBL for what it is designed to do.
    And the clubs are required to declare their payroll.
    We should have a similar system in the NRL and everything should be in the open. But tweaked for the NRL club finances.

As it stands now, everyone knows the salary cap doesn't work as it should to even out the talent pool.
    It is much too clandestine and lacks commonsense, how can Melbourne, Roosters and Broncos get their rosters under the salary cap?

When it's in the darkness and the rugby league media (a bigger bunch of useless cunts would be hard to find) refuse to shine a light on it. The NRL can ignore the corruption.

12. chisdog

chisdog Kennel Enthusiast

I will respectfully disagree. I don't like allowing salary cap extras at all even if taxed on it.

13. Oatley Dog

You may be right but you may also be wrong. What evidence is there that any club is deliberately cheating the system and the NRL is somehow complicit in it? I'm as frustrated as anyone that a couple of teams seem to have outsmarted the rest of us at least in the short term but just firing off and saying that this team or that is cheating and we need a completely new system is a waste of time. Most of the players don't know what they earn so how could a fan know? It's amazing that when it suits every journo in the country is a genius and when it doesn't the same people are liars. They don't know any more than we do - only what they get told. Melbourne and Manly are the only teams to win 2 comps in the last decade and in both cases they had a core of champion players that they rotated ordinary players around. The salary cap has evened out the comp there is no denying that. May not like having to shed players we develop but its the same for everyone.

In any event if clubs can continually outwit qualified accountants and lawyers with the cap what makes you think they won't be able to outwit the ATO?