1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Talkin Sport Caller claims Bulldogs player and Pearce player swap

Discussion in 'Rumours' started by BushDog, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Mr Invisible

Mr Invisible Super Mod Staff Member Premium Member Gilded

I'm on your side.. I like Ata...

• Like Like x 1
  2. chisdog

chisdog Kennel Enthusiast

Geez that gives me the Bill Harrigans! Newcastle offer $1.5M for 3 seasons & he says no so he can go to Brisbane for $85K & the NRL say that makes sense. This smacks of corruption from both the Broncos & NRL. How can they let this happen?

NRL you are losing me a 40+ year supporter of the game because of your lack of integrity, transparency & corruption in my opinion. It is time to have a points cap to make it look a LOT closer to being honest. Now it is a joke!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Oatley Dog

Oatley Dog Kennel Enthusiast

I get that you have an issue with the Broncos, but why the NRL? What has it got to do with them? A player should be free to play for whoever he wants. Maybe the support systems in place in Brisbane are just so much better than in Newcastle. Maybe Lodge has an issue with a few of the Knights people. I really don't know and for mine he should be banned for life but given he isn't its a matter for him what's important to him. As for points - well he would still be on nothing anyway. He hasn't even played FG yet or if he has only one or two games. If you think a points system won't be open to manipulation then you are very wrong. What about someone like Jamie Lyon? No reps so his points are lower yet he was probably the highest paid player at Manly at the time. What about Farah - current international but at the end of his career? And on it goes.

4. XR6T

XR6T Kennel Enthusiast

I thought that the minimum was also around $100K.
    Maybe Papa Bennett has put him on a 2nd tier contract?
    If so, the bloke is a dickhead if the offer from Newcastle is true!!

5. chisdog

1. The NRL is at fault here because they have previously stepped in & awarded notional values for salary cap purposes on players when contracts have been lodged - Mark Gasnier was a case in point. For one club to value a player at $85,000 & another $500,000, is a great concern. If it is let to continue with the Broncos, Roosters, Cowboys & Melbourne, then the strong will stay strong & the weak will remain weak & therefore all the salary cap has achieved is to continue the disparity but change the teams. Therefore they should either scrap the cap altogether & risk teams falling by the wayside or enforce it properly without looking away at certain deals.

2. I have put a proposed points system on this website several times which would cover people like Robbie Farah. The points system I put up was a starting point for discussion & valid points like Jamie Lyon is a good one. I would suggest that if a player like Lyon is rated the best centre in the game, then he would be awarded points as an Australian rep. People refusing to represent are few & far between. Apart from rep retirement how many are there apart from Lyon? The last one I can remember is Terry Lamb in 1982 not going on the Kangaroo Tour for personal reasons.

6. chisdog

Either that or there are some 3rd party agreements or "Andrew Gee" arrangements not disclosed.

7. chisdog

Here you go:

- 5 points for first grade experience, junior Aust, NZ or Eng player + an additional 5 points for

every 50 NRL games.

- 2 points for every City or Country representation (if you do not play this form of

representative football you would lose one point after 12 months and the other point if you

do not represent in two consecutive years.

- 10 points for every State of Origin game or international game outside NZ, Aust & Eng

- 20 points for every international game (for NZ, Aust & Eng)

Now if you haven't played a SOO game for 12 months you get a 20% discount, 2 years 40% etc & so after 5 years of not playing SOO these points would no longer count towards the cap. The same would apply to test level.

You could include discounts for local juniors & long serving players.

You couldn't implement this system next year, but you could have to bring it in, in say 5 years. This would cover for every contract currently in existence as there wouldn't be any contracts more than 5 years currently. What total points cap would you have? To decide what total points cap to have, you would apply the proposed points system to every club now & see how many points you would come up with, then average the points for all the clubs and add a little bit of fat. The points would be in effect, say, at the end of the representative season each year, eg this year after the SOO series. This is so you could budget for the following year and still be under the points cap.

This is just a starting point and greater minds than mine could refine the system to ensure it works.

• Like Like x 2
  8. XR6T

XR6T Kennel Enthusiast

Wouldn't surprise me!
    After all, the Broncos are the Roosters of Qld....

• Like Like x 1
  9. Oatley Dog

They are all arbitrary and really don't get you any further as Lodge would still be on zero and so worth $85k, Connor Watson who just got a $600k contract is worth 5 points while say Michael Gordon would be on what? How about Keary, and on it goes. So a SOO game is worth the same as PNG? Rhyse Martin has played 5 games for PNG and hasn't cracked FG - what does that do to our cap? Tramontana? So is Eastwood worth more or less than Munster? I acknowledge your effort but am simply pointing out what I see as glaring deficiencies in such a system. The reality is that the more complicated you make a system the easier it is to either rort or get wrong and land a club in trouble. At the end of the day the marketplace determines contract values by the amounts that get paid. Lodge is an exception not the rule. Now if Cronk was on $85k I'm right there with you but Lodge is a numpty who allegedly the Knights offered a lot of money for. Not ready to burn the building down yet.

10. boggie23

boggie23 Kennel Addict

Bring in a system that you can’t have more then x amount of rep player or international players in Your squad (spread the talent). If you develop a rep player from say u/16 level you get a concession (they don’t count to the quota). If you have say 3 rep players and another one gets to rep level then you have to trade them before the start of next season (you need to have x amount at the start of the year).

Have a cap in place but have a soft cap where after 3-4 years you can go over it. If you are too far over it get slammed with luxury tax. If politis wants 7-8 rep players let him have them. But every dollar over he pays 3 dollars in taxes. So 1-1.5 million over charge him 5 mill. It will only last so long, a club will lose money will get cap compliant. No one will lose 10 million a year no matter how much you love the team.

NRL sets the value of the player based on market price (maybe even from contracts submitted for same player I.e Tedesco was offered 1 at the dogs 1.2 at tigers and 750k at the roosters for example, his cap value is 1.2m even thought he “signed” for 750).

You can use one or all of these systems. Not only will it encourage grass roots funding as you try to get the best kids at your club early, but it should make contracts and the league more transparent. Because all too often players are offered huge money only to “sign” for less apparently. And it’s always the same teams that players want to “play” for and these teams have never been caught or investigated.

• Best Post Best Post x 2
  11. chisdog

As I said it is a starting point. I've done half the work & others can improve on it. At least I have tried to put something forward & it is light years ahead of the current easily corruptible system we have now that we are all complaining about.

• Like Like x 1
  12. chisdog

The problem with your soft cap is the amounts they are allegedly being paid. They would all go to the Roosters first & get a deal there without having to go to lower teams who would have to pay overs to get them to their clubs. Roosters would then do what they are doing now & pay them in brown paper bags or other investments received after footy or to Swiss Bank accounts etc.

13. boggie23

boggie23 Kennel Addict

Definitely not a perfect system. But you need to have a certain amount of years in the team (say 3-4) before being able to break the cap. Which in reality means most players wouldn’t stick around on unders for 3 years in hope of a pay day later.

And the other thing with the luxury tax is you will get slammed financially of going over. Like the cavs in the nba they are paying 127 million or so in luxury taxes. So they chased success but now are trying their best to pick up cheapies to reduce the luxury tax.

Either way. There is no perfect system but the worst thing is the nrl don’t acknowledge that the cap and it’s compliance is farcical. They prefer the head in the sand method and hope they won’t find out about bleaches down the line and have to strip more premierships.

If they think all the clubs are on an even playing field with the cap they must be delusional.

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Best Post x 1
  14. Garrett

Garrett Kennel Addict

The problem is the 3rd party stuff. You cannot stop someone for selling their brand, its just not right. The one team Cities have the best opportunities to lure these guys as the Club can seek endorsements for these guys without coming off the Cap. Just get the players to go to the local Holden/Ford for a few hours every now and then, the likes of Slater/Johnson in the Powerade ads, they are not mentioned to be with a particular club. Its why they say "NRL Player" and usually dressed in plain clothes. None of this is in the Cap. Roosters have this pull too due to Uncle Nics connections.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Oatley Dog

True, but I'm sure Politis has national and international business contacts he can draw on and honestly good on him for doing the best for his club. What the other clubs have to do is get people on their boards with that type of influence and then they can attract opportunities for the players. Despite our concerns, the Dogs actually do pretty well with TPAs. In fact if they got rid of them we would be one of 3 or 4 clubs who would go backwards (with Broncs/Chooks/Storm). Its funny how things are only a problem if you don't get the advantage.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dogzof95

Dogzof95 Kennel Enthusiast

So you don’t think there’s anything suspicious about a player taking a pay cut of around $8000 a week!!! Really, this has everything to do with the NRL, they’re the ones who police what goes on! They are the most corrupt organization running a sport in Australia by a country mile!

17. Gotenks

Gotenks Immortal Gilded

Lol it's bs. No way he was offered that sort of money by the Knights.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Freakzilla

Freakzilla Immortal

The Knights are $1.5 million under the $8.9 million minumum that a club must spend. They have until June 30 to spend it or they get a fine of that much

19. Garrett

Garrett Kennel Addict

Im sure there are smarter ways than throwing that much at a person like him. He'd be lucky to get 500k over 3 years.

20. Gotenks

Gotenks Immortal Gilded

Doesn't matter, they're still not offering Lodge half a million a season EVER. It's complete bs and goes totally against what Brown is doing at the Knights. Even if there was that big of an offer (there wasn't), there's no way a bloke that has over $1.5m in fines is going to turn it down.

If the NRL actually forces the Knights to spend more money, then they'll just frontload contracts and pounce on their next target. Brown has already ruled out a move for Hayne so they obviously aren't under that much pressure to spend the money.