News Call of duty: Mason’s brutal advice for Pangai Jr

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He left a sour taste in my mouth when he joined our arch rivals and scored under the sticks on his first game against us back in 08 (before the walkout by $BW) but listening to him lately he only ever talks good things about the dogs.. you get the feeling he regrets not becoming a one club player.

Thank you mason and looking forward to having you onboard to help with the young lads.
There was an interview years ago with Mason Tonga and Maitua where they said they all wished they had stayed and built a dynasty at the Dogs. Mason acknowledges he was young stupid and up himself snd thought he was bigger than the club. And he realises he made a big mistake.

These old boys still love the club big time. Even watching them play together for the old boys 9s tournament back in 2019 they still are like 1 big happy family.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Willie Mason warned Tevita Pangai Jr he risked wasting his talent if he joined the Wests Tigers or St George Illawarra and insists the Bulldogs are the perfect fit for the powerhouse forward.

It was the phone call from a Bulldogs legend that could inspire Tevita Pangai Jr to become “one of the most damaging forwards to ever play the game”.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal former Canterbury, NSW and Kangaroos forward Willie Mason reached out to Pangai – a long-time friend – to tell him he “hadn’t been coached the right way over the last three or four years”.
Mason also told Pangai Jr that he would never play rep footy or finals if he joined one of his other two suitors, St George Illawarra or Wests Tigers.

After offering a glowing endorsement of Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett and the club’s board, Mason told Pangai to join Canterbury, the three-year deal being finalised on Wednesday.
While wanting to play down his role in luring Pangai to Belmore, Mason said: “I want to see the best out of him because, potentially, he could be one of the most damaging forwards to ever play the game.
Willie Mason believes Tevita Pangai Jr can become one of the game’s best players under Trent Barrett next season. Picture: Albert Perez/Getty Images

Willie Mason believes Tevita Pangai Jr can become one of the game’s best players under Trent Barrett next season. Picture: Albert Perez/Getty Images

“I made a phone call and said: ‘Look, T, you’re 25 years old and I just don’t think you’ve been coached the right way over the last three or four years’.
“I said: ‘You should be playing Origin and for Australia. I know you love playing for Tonga but you’ve already done that. Your next thing is that Blues jersey and then a green and gold jersey. You’re not even in the talks’.
“I told him: ‘Your two options were St George and Wests Tigers’. I told him if he went there he would never, ever see a rep jersey or play finals in his whole career.
“He’s a wrecking ball. You get him in the right frame of mind, you see what he can do. He’s just very inconsistent – he will destroy teams once every five or six games.
“If he puts together 12 games like that he will play for Australia. He has so much potential and I don’t want to see him waste it.
Willie Mason gave Pangai Jr a brutal assessment of the Wests Tigers and St George Illawarra. Picture: Alix Sweeney

Willie Mason gave Pangai Jr a brutal assessment of the Wests Tigers and St George Illawarra. Picture: Alix Sweeney
“T is the most damaging left-side back-rower. He’s up there with David Fifita but I think he’s tougher than Fifita. I question Fifita’s toughness in those big games where Pangai loves that shit. You can put him in the middle, put him on the left edge, he’s a left-arm carry, left foot step, right palm.”
Bulldogs chairman John Khoury revealed the role Mason played in pushing Pangai Jr to Canterbury.
“I know Willie has a friendship with Tevita and he put in a good word in regards to where the club was and where we were headed,” Khoury said.

“Willie told Tevita that the Bulldogs were a club on the rise and it was a great club when it was pumping, what happens with our passionate members and fans and that he would be coming to a good place.
“Willie also vouched for Trent, vouched for me and vouched for the board. That certainly helped and I want to call that out and acknowledge it. I know Willie told Tevita he should join us.”
Mason has an enormous opinion of Barrett and reckons his former club are finals bound in 2022 through the recruitment of Pangai, Josh Addo-Carr, Matt Burton, Brent Naden, Matt Dufty and possibly Paul Vaughan.
He’s already represented Tonga, but Willie Mason believes there are more representative offers available for Tevita Pangai Jr. Picture: Anthony Au-Yeung/Getty Images

He’s already represented Tonga, but Willie Mason believes there are more representative offers available for Tevita Pangai Jr. Picture: Anthony Au-Yeung/Getty Images
“Tevita’s got all the attributes to be a gun – he just needs someone inside him and then there’s Burton,” Mason said. “The club is heading in the right direction so when I spoke to Tevita, I told him I just wanted the best out of him with his footy.
“He has been playing lock, right-side back row, in the middle, left-side back row. Next year, with Matt Burton, Pangai, Naden, ‘Fox’ and Dufty around the back, you’re talking a dynamic left edge.
“I know Baz is a great coach and Gus (Gould) is a great club builder. He knows the culture of the club. They have all the right people there and they want to see the club go forward and I told ‘T’ that.
“When you’re successful at that club, everything goes well. Baz is building something and I told Tevita to be part of it. We haven’t had a cult figure there since my man Sonny (Bill Williams). The fans just want a bunch of dogs.”

Mason looks set to have a mentoring role at Canterbury from next season.
“Mentoring, skills, just being around the club and around the players, driving the culture of the club. I know what that club is built on,” Mason said.
seeing Willie Mason wearing the jerseys of rivals - the Roosters, the Cowboys, the Knights and the Sea Eagles - always hurt

I think Mason can have a positive influence around the club now

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I had to look at the title again, I thought there was a second article where Mason was calling to Dufty. Call to Dufty

Last edited:

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Mate he’s an absolute legend. When I say he’s a passionate supporter like us, I mean it. He just wants to get things done!
He is not afraid to explore every single option out there, no stone left unturned type of guy.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loved Willie before he lost his marbles and became a journeyman, but I guess we all grow up eventually. It’s good to have him back in the fold to help rebuild the Dogs of War and siege mentality we need to restore.
Yes I agree, I hope they get some former champions to mentor the new guard. If you look at the QLD state of Origin team, they always bring back former players to be around the new players. It works. So other than Gus Gould, Willie Mason, Sonny Bill Williams, I wonder who else they have coming to assist getting our team back to a successful team.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The old crew were so entrenched in the culture that they bleed the colours. They were an extremely damaging team and they put the fear of god in anyone they played. Shit i miss those times
Yes I miss those times as well. They also had Mark O’Malley (Shrek) he was a hard ass too. With Mason they were scary. The team used to all drink together after training and games, but when they needed to perform they all stepped up. That’s why they won in 2004. Steve Folkes was the coach.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mason had a huge impact on SBW leaving as well. As much as you can't excuse what SBW did, SBW always looked up to Mason and expected him to lead the way and then you have a gut wrenching decision at the end of 2007 that started a cascading effect of the entire old guard leaving

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If I was tedesco id be looking over my shoulder :p I have a feeling he will be shafted once the next best thing comes along just like Omeley, Anasta, to a degree friend (even though he retired, they wanted to shaft him for the last 12-18 months). Roosters are run like a multinational, results driven. Dogs are run like the local corner store from the 70s, when if you didnt have enough for an ice cream youd fix it up next time :p
Is that why they are paying out Cordners salary in full after his sudden retirement? Calm your pitch forks.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Imagine this current young brigade sitting around a fire having a chin wag about the ol days with Mason, SBW and O'meley! They would be hanging on their every word! Put them in the same room with Gillespie, Tunks, Folkes and co, and they probably wouldnt even know who they were talking to. We can only benefit by having these guys around the club again!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I have a vague memory of Mason badmouthing the club once on his way out.
Can anyone confirm?

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
True bulldogs legend Mase. Glad to have him back at the dogs where he belongs

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Not Waddell Stinkson Smelliot & Crapa type players is what he means
Willie loves Elliott. I know this for a fact. Bumped into him at the supermarket while I was shopping for essentials a few weeks ago. He said and I quote “Adam is the glue of this club. He just needs some things to stick together.”

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Next thing you know we going to have O meley poke his head out after we sign Vaughan and say ‘he signed because of me’ and when BBO re-signs Dene Halatau is going to say he taught him everything he knows.

Then Reni Maria is going to call the Daily Telegraphto offer Aaron Schoupp some public ‘advice’ on his future and running lines or something.

RabiedDog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Naden will be right centre and cotric right wing
Left centre will be schoup and left wing fox

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Next thing you know we going to have O meley poke his head out after we sign Vaughan and say ‘he signed because of me’ and when BBO re-signs Dene Halatau is going to say he taught him everything he knows.

Then Reni Maria is going to call the Daily Telegraphto offer Aaron Schoupp some public ‘advice’ on his future and running lines or something.
Your not getting the significance of what players like mason, reni, sbw etc meant to the current generation of players - especially Poly players. JK knows how much influence they have as absolute heroes of the current generation. This along with Gus and Laundy means we should get any player we want.