Opinion Call for tackling ban for under 14's

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something I always required when I coached rugby and league from minis to seniors is that every player wore headgear, no exceptions.
This "news" segment is also an "advertorial..."

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Something I always required when I coached rugby and league from minis to seniors is that every player wore headgear, no exceptions.
Would you believe....(in Maxwell Smart voice) "Opinion" then :grinning:

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Stats i read last week, players with head gear had more concussions than players without.
headgear just stops facial injuries not concussion

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Will never happen and it is a stupid idea.
So they get to 15 , no tackling experience and are expected to tackle players who are 6foot and 90 plus kilos
It will only increase the concussion imo

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
As someone said above, apparently headgear doesn't lessen concussion occurances. Unless it's a hit straight to the temple or behind the ear, they more than likely protect the brain from those sorts of impacts at least.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
"calls for" does not mean it will ever happen. I can understand and respect this doctor's opinion - he's a neuroscientist after all. We should always be striving to make sport safer if possible, but, of course, the only way to fully eliminate concussion would be to ban contact sports altogether, and that would suck obviously.

Continuing research will hopefully allow the games we love to play to continue whilst also striving to lower risks for those involved of long term brain injuries. One thing we can't do anymore when it comes to CTE is to ignore it altogether.

TBH, i see a lot of differing opinions on whether headgear works. Logic would initially make one think it should help reduce impact, but research doesn't really seem to support that (but does help with cuts and the dreaded ear blows suffered by rugby forwards), and can in fact provide a false sense of security.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stats i read last week, players with head gear had more concussions than players without.
headgear just stops facial injuries not concussion
I have heard that before but is that though because of the impact of the gear?

I had wondered 1) if either the players wearing headgear play with less self preservation incorrectly believing they are more protected or 2) when so few players wear the headgear do they then become a target for the other team who believe they're scared of being hit hard.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

I had wondered 1) if either the players wearing headgear play with less self preservation incorrectly believing they are more protected or 2) when so few players wear the headgear do they then become a target for the other team who believe they're scared of being hit hard.
It is interesting, from my history, especially juniors, the players who are low on confidence usually wear head gear. The more confident players dont.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As someone said above, apparently headgear doesn't lessen concussion occurances. Unless it's a hit straight to the temple or behind the ear, they more than likely protect the brain from those sorts of impacts at least.
Headgear lessens the impact and can reduce the chance of concussion but it certainly can stop a head-clash from turning into a bloody mess.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Being a coach and having a bull for a son lol, I can see your points being a correct. My boy goes harder when wearing a head gear then when not wearing it. I've learned to use it as a "confidence" boost, usually doesn't wear it but if the team is losing or not fired up I make him wear it to lift him in turn lifting the team.

Also, boys naturally target boys wearing head gear as they think they can run over them easily. In the begining of the season he usually wears it the first 2 or 3 games, one to bring confidence and two, to make the other team target him (as he loves to tackle and tackle hard).

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
PS if they ban tackling, I think it will do more harm than good as by 14, you should of already mastered tackling and how to take a tackle.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Being a coach and having a bull for a son lol, I can see your points being a correct. My boy goes harder when wearing a head gear then when not wearing it. I've learned to use it as a "confidence" boost, usually doesn't wear it but if the team is losing or not fired up I make him wear it to lift him in turn lifting the team.

Also, boys naturally target boys wearing head gear as they think they can run over them easily. In the begining of the season he usually wears it the first 2 or 3 games, one to bring confidence and two, to make the other team target him (as he loves to tackle and tackle hard).
Similar to the NFL, they claim the same effect from wearing the helmets, the defence goes harder as they have less fear of injuring themselves when wearing a helmet.

Always a Bulldog

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Similar to the NFL, they claim the same effect from wearing the helmets, the defence goes harder as they have less fear of injuring themselves when wearing a helmet.

Always a Bulldog
I'd love to see nrlol players play in the full NFL gear, can you imagine the hits?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I think the younger guys are at less risk than elite players because they run softer and are lighter.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Will never happen and it is a stupid idea.
So they get to 15 , no tackling experience and are expected to tackle players who are 6foot and 90 plus kilos
It will only increase the concussion imo
Yeah hard to see it catching on.

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Being tackled and pounded into the turf at Pratten Park never did me no harm....the Mrs is telling porkies, nothing wrong with me....most days anyways

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think wearing headgear will fry the brain, especially in hot weather, don't know how JT wore it all them years in NQ.
So glad dogmonster jr missed all the bullshit years of no tackling, no scoring, I thought the pink and yellow vests for the halves was stupid enough.

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think wearing headgear will fry the brain, especially in hot weather, don't know how JT wore it all them years in NQ.
So glad dogmonster jr missed all the bullshit years of no tackling, no scoring, I thought the pink and yellow vests for the halves was stupid enough.
Played rugby union for 10+ years, our club made it mandatory for juniors to wear headgear, our jerseys were black and you had to soak your headgear in preseason games when it was hot because it felt like you were cooking.
I like a headgear to hitting your head on carpet as opposed to tiles. Still hurts.
I suffered most of my concussions between ages of 13-16 but put that down to poor technique/inexperience and size differences in kids of that age. By 18 most the difference between the bigger kids and smaller kids was less drastic. I think the difference in size/strength and development ages of kids is the bigger issue in regards to concussions etc