Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently looking to which ISP. I'm currently on Optus Cable (no NBN in my area) I get a lot of drop offs and poor internet for cable imo.

Is anyone on Telstra cable, feedback, experience? stories? let me know what you've experienced

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think anyone can give you good feedback 'cause it'll vary depending on area. I'm on Optus Cable and don't have any drop outs or speed issues but I'm pretty sure there's not many other people in my area on Optus Cable..

If you switch to Telstra cable and many others in your area are on Telstra cable then you'll have the same issues you're having now.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently looking to which ISP. I'm currently on Optus Cable (no NBN in my area) I get a lot of drop offs and poor internet for cable imo.

Is anyone on Telstra cable, feedback, experience? stories? let me know what you've experienced
Don't change until the NBN hits your area - then do it in one go. Look at the NBN rollout schedule to see when it hits you: https://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/content/dam/tw/nbn/Documents/rollout-list.pdf

I'm with Telstra NBN and this is what I get:

1. NBN Modem (sent to me from NBN)
  2. Telstra Gateway Modem Router (send to my by Telstra)
  3. Telstra technician comes to your home to install the NBN socket and then run it from your roof to the telephone line
  4. Unlimited calls Australia-wide from home phone line
  5. Unlimited calls from my mobile phone nation-wide (1300 numbers are the exception though)
  6. Unlimited SMS from my mobile phone
  7. Unlimited NBN data (you read that right... GREAT for people who have Netflix etc...)
$90 per month - no installation fee.

You won't get a better deal.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey guys,

When I was living with the in laws they had/have telstra. Was pretty good up until they got NBN. Then it turned to absolute shit. Slow speeds and CONSTANT drop outs. The modem was replaced 2-3 times, too.

If the missus was browsing on her phone and I was on YouTube, it would buffer my videos most times.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't change until the NBN hits your area - then do it in one go. Look at the NBN rollout schedule to see when it hits you: https://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/content/dam/tw/nbn/Documents/rollout-list.pdf

3. Telstra technician comes to your home to install the NBN socket and then run it from your roof to the telephone line
  5. Unlimited calls from my mobile phone nation-wide (1300 numbers are the exception though)
  7. Unlimited NBN data (you read that right... GREAT for people who have Netflix etc...)

Cool thanks man, i might just wait. I'll have NBN in 9-Nov-2018

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks all love you

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

actually that list is a bit confusing, I'm in Yagoona and i'm getting different dates on when NBN will be available unless im reading it all wrong?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Prev 25Mbit Telstra Cable at 2 addresses. Worked a treat with decent speeds and barely a drop out.

Now Telstra 100/50 NBN and the odd drop (could be my router), but never drop below about 92 Mbit Down :D

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
actually that list is a bit confusing, I'm in Yagoona and i'm getting different dates on when NBN will be available unless im reading it all wrong?
Use NBNCo Map: https://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address.html
Use Finder Map: https://www.finder.com.au/nbn-tracker/map

Those two are most accurate. When we moved into this new place Telstra didn't have the street or lot number, because it was a new development. Telstra use Google Maps.

NBNCo operate using Google as well as Whereis maps.

Wahesh

Reaction score

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
You beat me to it lol.
BTW that deal you have is standard these days. $90 per month.

I tried to get better recently but the idiot on the phone from Telstra was a moron (ddin't even know they sold a premium speed boost or what it was).

So I'm waiting it out a few months then trying again for a better deal.

I previously had $20 a month discount that they've removed after 2 years because the plan has been retired that I'm on.

Wahesh

Reaction score
BTW that deal you have is standard these days. $90 per month.

I tried to get better recently but the idiot on the phone from Telstra was a moron (ddin't even know they sold a premium speed boost or what it was).

So I'm waiting it out a few months then trying again for a better deal.

I previously had $20 a month discount that they've removed after 2 years because the plan has been retired that I'm on.
We originally has a plan for $99 per month and 500GB data (which was plenty). Then they changed it after 6 months, unlimited data for $110 per month. We said nice try and argued with them and got it down to $90 unlimited data. We basically threatened to switch service providers so they shat themselves and complied. I would've been happy with 500GB for $99 but considering we got Netflix recently it's much better now.

Telstra are one of those cunning companies who can tune YOUR deal to suit THEIR needs by any means possible to squeeze every cent out of you as possible. You just need to remind them occasionally who's boss and who the customer is and that the customer is always right. As soon as you threaten to switch, they'll usually comply.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m with Telstra and have had no internet for 8 days and I get no response other then “it’s under investigation”
That sounds like the way they treat my sister when they have issues at her house. Demand that they reduce the price for the month based on the time you are disconnected or you switch carriers

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That sounds like the way they treat my sister when they have issues at her house. Demand that they reduce the price for the month based on the time you are disconnected or you switch carriers
Yeah bro it’s fucking awful, I bought one of those pocket WiFi modems from Telstra and top it up with 40GB which cost me $90, and when the next bill comes I’m going to pay $90 less and attach the pocket WiFi receipt to the Cheque for the monthly WiFi and send it off with it, I’m not paying for a service I’m not receiving, they can cover that extra $90.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I’m with Telstra and have had no internet for 8 days and I get no response other then “it’s under investigation”
What are you on though? NBN? ADSL? Cable? and if on NBN, what type of NBN technology.

People are quick to blame Telstra, but if it's a network issue with NBN/cabling to the node, that's not a Telstra thing to fix. Likewise if it's water in the lines/damaged copper that's not always Telstras to fix either.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What are you on though? NBN? ADSL? Cable? and if on NBN, what type of NBN technology.

People are quick to blame Telstra, but if it's a network issue with NBN/cabling to the node, that's not a Telstra thing to fix. Likewise if it's water in the lines/damaged copper that's not always Telstras to fix either.
Cable bro

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Cable is owned by NBNCo these days and resold back to Telstra/Optus (until Hybrd HFC NBN is deployed in the area), and it's rolling out again now.

Could be a number of things... my parents had a massive issue with NBN via HFC, went on for months. Turned out a connection/junction point had corroded and cable kept dropping in and out as a result.

With all the rain recently in areas of Sydney, rain in the pits can fuck up HFC as well (used to happen to us every now and then years ago).

Wahesh

Reaction score
Cable is owned by NBNCo these days and resold back to Telstra/Optus (until Hybrd HFC NBN is deployed in the area), and it's rolling out again now.

Could be a number of things... my parents had a massive issue with NBN via HFC, went on for months. Turned out a connection/junction point had corroded and cable kept dropping in and out as a result.

With all the rain recently in areas of Sydney, rain in the pits can fuck up HFC as well (used to happen to us every now and then years ago).
I have a cable from my roof which goes up to the telephone line - completely by-passes the underground... however I would've preferred it if it ran under the house like the home phone line does.