Bye caramba... and that's all she wrote folks (end of The Simpsons)

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
This deserves it's own thread as it's pretty big news.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...-composer-claims-the-show-is-coming-to-an-end

The world’s longest running animation could bow out after its current series, according to Danny Elfman

D’oh ... is The Simpsons about to be gone for good? Photograph: Entertainment Pictures/Alamy
They have been a TV fixture for almost 30 years, but The Simpsons could finally be “coming to an end” according to Danny Elfman, the man behind its famous theme tune.

Speaking on a podcast hosted by the site joe.ie, the 66-year-old said he was aware of plans to stop the long-running series after its current run. “From what I’ve heard it will be coming to an end,” said Elfman. “I don’t know for a fact, but I’ve heard that it will be in its last year.” He went on to express his surprise at the show’s success. “I’m so flabbergasted and amazed that it has lasted as long as it did … you have to realise, when I scored The Simpsons, I wrote this crazy piece of music, and I expected no one would hear it, because I really did not think the show had a chance in hell.”

Created by Matt Groening, The Simpsons is currently the world’s longest-running animated show, and the longest-running US sitcom of all time. It started life as a segment on Fox’s Tracey Ullman Show in 1987, before it was developed into a standalone show, which has run for 670 episodes to date.

At its peak, it was a pop culture phenomenon, making household names of Homer, Marge and their offspring. Starry cameos ranged from Stephen Hawking to Paul McCartney, and Homer Simpson’s “d’oh” catchphrase was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2001. A film spinoff, The Simpsons Movie, also brought in over $500m at the box office in 2007.

While the show’s popularity has waned in recent years, with ratings at an all-time low for its 30th season finale earlier this year, its recent Treehouse of Horror Halloween special was watched by a respectable 5.7 million viewers in the US. The show currently airs on Channel 4 and Sky One in the UK, and Fox and Disney+ in the US, with the nascent streaming service pushing the series heavily in promotional materials.

Early this year, the show attracted attention for withdrawing an episode featuring the voice of Michael Jackson from TV and streaming services, in light of the HBO documentary Leaving Neverland. Prior to that, the show’s makers were embroiled in controversy regarding the character of Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, the Hindu convenience store owner seen by many to perpetuate racist stereotypes. Fox have been approached for comment.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Dammit, didn't think it had a T at the end hahaha.

Glad you got what I was going for though mate :tearsofjoy:
No worries brother. You're probably referencing the scene from The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase where Moe takes advice from Grampa via the love tester after he sneaks it into the restaurant lol.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No worries brother. You're probably referencing the scene from The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase where Moe takes advice from Grampa via the love tester after he sneaks it into the restaurant lol.
Oh bahahahaha. Possibly, I remember that one. Man I miss watching these all the time.
Might have to, get my kids into it also. Maybe they might then get some of my bad humour (well what they think anyway).

Wahesh

Reaction score
Oh bahahahaha. Possibly, I remember that one. Man I miss watching these all the time.
Might have to, get my kids into it also. Maybe they might then get some of my bad humour (well what they think anyway).
Yeah I know mate. I used to love waiting until 6pm weekdays to watch the re-runs on channel 10. Good old days :grinning:

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
About time.
Simpsons started going downhill with the episode where they ruined principle skinners character.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
About time.
Simpsons started going downhill with the episode where they ruined principle skinners character.
Yep! That was their jump the shark moment. In 30min they ruined a genuine character.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The show died at around season 10.

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeext

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep! That was their jump the shark moment. In 30min they ruined a genuine character.
What about that episode where Lisa is being bullied by a red head? Another wtf moment which sent the show spiralling down.

Wahesh

Reaction score
What about that episode where Lisa is being bullied by a red head? Another wtf moment which sent the show spiralling down.
That ranga was in season 12. By then the shows best years were behind them and yep - the downward trend was into motion.

In 1999, Matt Groening left the set to focus on Futurama, that's when things started going down. He's still credited as The Simpsons is HIS show, but he hasn't been apart of it for the last 20 years.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
That ranga was in season 12. By then the shows best years were behind them and yep - the downward trend was into motion.

In 1999, Matt Groening left the set to focus on Futurama, that's when things started going down. He's still credited as The Simpsons is HIS show, but he hasn't been apart of it for the last 20 years.
The best seasons are when Conan O'Brien was a writer and Phil Hartman was voicing Lionel Hutz and Troy Mclure

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Should have ended like 20 years ago

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Homer versus New York is the best episode.

Vendor "You want Morning Dew or Grab Juice?"
Homer "OH GOD, BLUUURRRR, yuck, I'll take Grab Juice"

Once it started to get political that was the start of the death spiral.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Probably a good 15 years too long. Every episode in the first decade or so was bang on. Last few years - a lot of meh.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
as they say, get woke get broke. Ever since the show became a beacon of hope for lefties the show lost its magic.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
when you start writing for dickheads its going to be shit, star wars 9 will look like stars wars but without escapism it wont be good its too bright paranoid all across the world cameras everywhere its not escapism!!!!!