Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Buzz Rothfield: Which club is trying to offload four players

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He has been our best for the last 2 years. He is the soul of the team and he is worth the money we are paying him.
With a young team like ours you need players like jacko, they look up to him, he is a clean skin mentor to the young guys.
He does all the 1% plays, you cant have 13 tpj’s.
you need balance and he brings that not only on the field but at training and off the field.
You do realise he can’t play forever right? and we have a history of holding onto players long after their best. We should not make the same mistake. This whole “need experience” is a myth. We need talent. You tell me which player panthers have that is 31 years old and is captain courageous

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same people who wanted reynolds out for someone more talented (foran) didn’t learn their lesson apparently and now want Jackson out. He’s not gonna score 4 tries a game but he’s our glue and we would have a massive void to fill without him. The only guy that has shown up almost every single game and given 100% even through some terrible years. He should always have a spot in the side

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Same people who wanted reynolds out for someone more talented (foran) didn’t learn their lesson apparently and now want Jackson out. He’s not gonna score 4 tries a game but he’s our glue and we would have a massive void to fill without him. The only guy that has shown up almost every single game and given 100% even through some terrible years. He should always have a spot in the side
He offers no value, fuck him off if possible.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You do realise he can’t play forever right? and we have a history of holding onto players long after their best. We should not make the same mistake. This whole “need experience” is a myth. We need talent. You tell me which player panthers have that is 31 years old and is captain courageous
myth? guess you havent played senior football, all teams need that hardened player in their team to lead the way on and off the field.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I understand people's loyalty to Jacko however over the last few years his captaining has been average, his performances have been average and he's on big money that could be better spent elsewhere... if Gus thinks it's time to move him on then I support that decision.
A lock forward these days needs to be a fast skilful ball player that makes an impact, something Jacko is not.
This post makes me want to go old school utility on your arse, Fam. You’re lucky I am Zen now.

Jacko has remained a consistent performer in the most difficult of circumstances. You watch his form go through the roof next year with more support around him. Namaste.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This post makes me want to go old school utility on your arse, Fam. You’re lucky I am Zen now.

Jacko has remained a consistent performer in the most difficult of circumstances. You watch his form go through the roof next year with more support around him. Namaste.
Same people saying the same thing about Hopoate a few years ago and changed tune quick fast. Facts are his best footy is behind him. He body and style doesn’t suit todays game. People expect him to play the same in the few years ahead at the level he played 5 years ago. He should never been extended last year for 3 years.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
myth? guess you havent played senior football, all teams need that hardened player in their team to lead the way on and off the field.
I agree, I just don’t think Jackson is that guy. Just a small sample size example for you; If you had a choice between Jackson and Finucane who would you choose? Point proven. All I’m saying is that there are better options than Jackson. And if we want trophies, we better have the balls to make the hard decisions. Because being loyal and signing that hard working type player who put his heart on his sleeve is what got us in this mess to begin with. We need speed, power and skill as a priority all across the park. You want experience, surround them with that off the field.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Sorry mate but that example is woeful. Not only did Reynolds do sweet fuck all at the tigers but he was a injury liability just as bad if not worse than Foran!

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you have seriously counter offered Reynolds anything near what the Tigers offered him? Passionate player but probably the most brain dead no. 6 to have played the game in the last 25 years.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He has been our best for the last 2 years. He is the soul of the team and he is worth the money we are paying him.
With a young team like ours you need players like jacko, they look up to him, he is a clean skin mentor to the young guys.
He does all the 1% plays, you cant have 13 tpj’s.
you need balance and he brings that not only on the field but at training and off the field.
no he has not lol
This year I would say Thompson was our best and the year before I would say rfm or Kieran foran.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wtf did renoylds do for us hhahahaha

we didn’t win shit with him

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Same people saying the same thing about Hopoate a few years ago and changed tune quick fast. Facts are his best footy is behind him. He body and style doesn’t suit todays game. People expect him to play the same in the few years ahead at the level he played 5 years ago. He should never been extended last year for 3 years.
Hoppa showed he’s still got it in the final round of this season, Fam. He’s just been floundering under Barrett’s poor attacking and defensive structures. If Gus does a fair bit of shadow coaching next year and improves our structures, Jacko will do well too. He’s the type of player everyone loves to play with. I’d listen to his peers over the keyboard coaches. Every blessing. Namaste.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoppa showed he’s still got it in the final round of this season, Fam. He’s just been floundering under Barrett’s poor attacking and defensive structures. If Gus does a fair bit of shadow coaching next year and improves our structures, Jacko will do well too. He’s the type of player everyone loves to play with. I’d listen to his peers over the keyboard coaches. Every blessing. Namaste.
Even better, just ask Adam 'The Oracle' Elliott what we should do and then we have our answer.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whether or not he set the world on fire afterward, after Reynolds left the slow decline began, and players like the Morris boys, James graham etc all have said that exact thing

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Whether or not he set the world on fire afterward, after Reynolds left the slow decline began, and players like the Morris boys, James graham etc all have said that exact thing
Yeah, them leaving was the reason we got the wooden spoon

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wtf did renoylds do for us hhahahaha

we didn’t win shit with him
That’s a pretty poor argument. We didn’t win shit with Josh Morris either. Does that mean he was useless for us?

I can tell you one thing, true we didn’t win a premiership with Reynolds in the halves, but we were always there or there abouts.. not like now where avoiding the spoon would be classified as a great achievement

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Hoppa showed is that he should have been gone 2 seasons ago. He was a safe pair of hands and that’s it. Played good during international games and the rest in slow motion for us. Namaste.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
All Hoppa showed is that he should have been gone 2 seasons ago. He was a safe pair of hands and that’s it. Played good during international games and the rest in slow motion for us. Namaste.
Aww bless you, Fam. It’s not your fault you don’t know much about the game. The good news is we live in a pinko commie Stalinist society where bad opinions are as equal as correct ones. Hooray for you!

He showed origin worthy form in round 25 against the tigers. Namaste

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem i have with our club is that its stuck in the mindset that a players value is an upward trajectory until they leave us or retire.

Its not the case.

A player is only worth what his form suggests and his market value. Its time we changed our mindset and only offered renewed contracts on current and future value and form.

Jacko falls into this category. He is coming up to his 11th first grade season next year and is on the downslide. If he comes cheap on next contract and we dont have other players in his spot, i dont mind if we offer him a contract for what he is worth (2 year max deal). But if he or his manager thinks its not enough, then sorry, we need to move on.

Far too often we seem to get stuck with players who hang around one or 2 seasons too long. Just go to England for a swan song and finish off your career...

The storms succession plan and process is way ahead of us. So is the Roosters one