Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Buzz Rothfield: Which club is trying to offload four players

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The problem i have with our club is that its stuck in the mindset that a players value is an upward trajectory until they leave us or retire.

Its not the case.

A player is only worth what his form suggests and his market value. Its time we changed our mindset and only offered renewed contracts on current and future value and form.

Jacko falls into this category. He is coming up to his 11th first grade season next year and is on the downslide. If he comes cheap on next contract and we dont have other players in his spot, i dont mind if we offer him a contract for what he is worth (2 year max deal). But if he or his manager thinks its not enough, then sorry, we need to move on.

Far too often we seem to get stuck with players who hang around one or 2 seasons too long. Just go to England for a swan song and finish off your career...

The storms succession plan and process is way ahead of us. So is the Roosters one
Post of the year. Someone who actually gets it.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That’s a pretty poor argument. We didn’t win shit with Josh Morris either. Does that mean he was useless for us?

I can tell you one thing, true we didn’t win a premiership with Reynolds in the halves, but we were always there or there abouts.. not like now where avoiding the spoon would be classified as a great achievement
yep we are a avoiding the spoon now because we lost king josh!
Come on mate!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree, I just don’t think Jackson is that guy. Just a small sample size example for you; If you had a choice between Jackson and Finucane who would you choose? Point proven. All I’m saying is that there are better options than Jackson. And if we want trophies, we better have the balls to make the hard decisions. Because being loyal and signing that hard working type player who put his heart on his sleeve is what got us in this mess to begin with. We need speed, power and skill as a priority all across the park. You want experience, surround them with that off the field.
I’d choose Jackson every time. Point lost.

Always a Bulldog

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aww bless you, Fam. It’s not your fault you don’t know much about the game. The good news is we live in a pinko commie Stalinist society where bad opinions are as equal as correct ones. Hooray for you!

He showed origin worthy form in round 25 against the tigers. Namaste
Yes and everyone saw that origin worthy form in one game and decided to extend his contract… oh snap

Namaste.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yes and everyone saw that origin worthy form in one game and decided to extend his contract… oh snap

Namaste.
We should have extended him, Fam. He’s better than Naden or Schoupp. Namaste

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jackson deserves to win a comp with us. I'd die happy knowing he jagged one before he retired. Deserves it with all the shit he's had to deal with.
Spot on those wanting him gone are dicks ,in the team we have now he will shine more than people think,cant just have a team of power forwards,he will go all day

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Jacko is often in our top 3 performers on the field. But it doesn't end there, his name keeps coming up in interviews of dogs players, especially younger ones. He does a lot of work in the background checking in with people, being present, encouraging, etc.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Jacko is often in our top 3 performers on the field. But it doesn't end there, his name keeps coming up in interviews of dogs players, especially younger ones. He does a lot of work in the background checking in with people, being present, encouraging, etc.
Yh but a premiership winning team doesn't pay him what we're paying him and that's the issue. He should be on 300k max cap, instead we're paying double that.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yh but a premiership winning team doesn't pay him what we're paying him and that's the issue. He should be on 300k max cap, instead we're paying double that.
Mr Daft, one more time, Jackson is on a $600k package, of which $200k is Veteran and Developed Player allowance, which we would not get as my understanding is no other player qualifies. NRL Captains commonly get $50k to $100k for accepting the responsibility, on field and off field, that goes along with that position. Plus he has the usual ~$20k car allowance outside the Cap. As a result in our Cap he costs around $280k, which is less than you (very dubious) valuation, which means he is great value for money.

Always a Bulldog

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Mr Daft, one more time, Jackson is on a $600k package, of which $200k is Veteran and Developed Player allowance, which we would not get as my understanding is no other player qualifies. NRL Captains commonly get $50k to $100k for accepting the responsibility, on field and off field, that goes along with that position. Plus he has the usual ~$20k car allowance outside the Cap. As a result in our Cap he costs around $280k, which is less than you (very dubious) valuation, which means he is great value for money.

Always a Bulldog
im sure you are close to the money turbo, but why do they keep quoting $600k?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Same reason as they include Thompson‘s transfer fee paid to StHelens and Cotric’s relocation costs and include the Chooks payment to Flanagan as if it was ours and and …… The higher the number the bigger the headline.

Plus some (most) of them are too dumb to understand the difference between what is included in the Cap and what isn’t. So it’s easier for them to just say “X player costs $Y”, when the fact is the only thing that is relevant is what’s in the Cap.

FWIW player managers/agents get their % based on the total, so they don’t care what’s in the Cap either.

Always a Bulldog

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bigger the salary the better the story.. unless you’re the roosters in which case you have a hand in the media and can control what is said