Official Burton

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ciro was asked in the post match press conference something along the lines of how does he see Burto developing as a five eighth and I loved what he said. Ciro basically said Burto wanted to make amends for what he saw as a poor final 20 of the Warriors match and that you can usually tell with him early in the week that he’s going to lift.

The best thing he said though, was that Burto was calm and confident in the dying stages of the match last night and told his team mates that he’s got it covered.

Centre, five eighth whatever, for a 23 year old kid to have that attitude AND DELIVER is crazy impressive tbh. That field goal will be on highlight reels for years. Not only how difficult a kick it was (angle and distance) but with 10 seconds left on the clock and the frantic way the play unfolded, how the hell did he do that?!

Seriously, he doesn’t play like a seasoned vet (well duh) or consistently in our best 3, and people criticise him, but it’s those few moments he owned to win the game that is why I’ve always been a huge fan. He’s still learning and improving. Be patient like the club has by putting 5 years worth of faith in him. Remember JT and how we let him go and then he turned into one of the greats? Yeah well, Burton has that sort of potential.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He played well Let’s hope he backs it up this week against south’s and doesn’t go back into shell and does nothing 1 good game doesn’t make him a great player
He’s had way more than one good game ffs. You don’t play for NSW and Australia because you’re shit. The takes on here sometimes….

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Ciro was asked in the post match press conference something along the lines of how does he see Burto developing as a five eighth and I loved what he said. Ciro basically said Burto wanted to make amends for what he saw as a poor final 20 of the Warriors match and that you can usually tell with him early in the week that he’s going to lift.

The best thing he said though, was that Burto was calm and confident in the dying stages of the match last night and told his team mates that he’s got it covered.

Centre, five eighth whatever, for a 23 year old kid to have that attitude AND DELIVER is crazy impressive tbh. That field goal will be on highlight reels for years. Not only how difficult a kick it was (angle and distance) but with 10 seconds left on the clock and the frantic way the play unfolded, how the hell did he do that?!

Seriously, he doesn’t play like a seasoned vet (well duh) or consistently in our best 3, and people criticise him, but it’s those few moments he owned to win the game that is why I’ve always been a huge fan. He’s still learning and improving. Be patient like the club has by putting 5 years worth of faith in him. Remember JT and how we let him go and then he turned into one of the greats? Yeah well, Burton has that sort of potential.
Enough with the JT comparisons, not even in the same universe.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They'll never move Kikau to the right but it's obvious Preston and Burton have a great combo where as Kikau and Burton is more clunky. Which is weird when they played together on that side at Penrith..
It’s not really as most of those games Burton was OUTSIDE of Kiks, not inside. Hopefully it’s just a matter of more training, but their timing and sync is off atm.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reed is not mediocre. The only problem is Flanagan. But then again Burton with ball in hand has been making very shit passes. So yeah...
Reed has had heaps of poor parts to his performances, but people just brush it aside, because the good outweighs the bad. Yet for some reason Burton is expected to be perfect. Who tf cares if Burton does a, b and c?! As long as he helps get wins like Reed and every other player on the team, it doesn’t matter.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I showed my missus this morning Josh Reynolds doing a field goal from the exact same spot from 2015 season against the Raiders with about 30secs left on the last tackle. Was a good game, it's on Kayo if you need to rewatch.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cant you read ? the comparison was about how the club let him go and the possibility Burton could turn out the same
He clearly can’t mate. Apparently too much gunja for young Marley. He doesn know what potential means.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I showed my missus this morning Josh Reynolds doing a field goal from the exact same spot from 2015 season against the Raiders with about 30secs left on the last tackle. Was a good game, it's on Kayo if you need to rewatch.
We have a remarkably good record in GP surprisingly. After last night I think it’s 10 wins, 3 losses and 1 draw. Remember Hodko the ice man? Lol he kicked some good ones too.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Cant you read ? the comparison was about how the club let him go and the possibility Burton could turn out the same
I can read.
Remember JT and how we let him go and then he turned into one of the greats? Yeah well, Burton has that sort of potential.
That's a direct comparison about playing ability.

JT at 22 and in his first full season as a starting half won the fucking Dally M player of the year. His ballplaying and ball running were already elite that season and his general play kicking was excellent. Burton meanwhile at 23 and in his second season as a starting half struggles to even do the basics and his ballplaying is close to non existent. Potential is not in the same universe, idiotic comparison.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Down in Canberra. Was at that game.

My mate got on TV racing down to try and hug Mbye when we scored off the Raiders short kick off.

IIRC - we were up 28 nil or something stupid and almost went to GP until Reynolds slotted that FG

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I can read.

That's a direct comparison about playing ability.

JT at 22 and in his first full season as a starting half won the fucking Dally M player of the year. His ballplaying and ball running were already elite that season and his general play kicking was excellent. Burton meanwhile at 23 and in his second season as a starting half struggles to even do the basics and his ballplaying is close to non existent. Potential is not in the same universe, idiotic comparison.
No point talking truth, people with no footy IQ will think you're just bagging him...

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Potential is an interesting thing... Anasta oozed it in 2000-2001 and by 2002 was close to our highest paid player... Thurston had huge raps coming through the grades but struggled with the physicality of FG and lack of consistent playing minutes from 2002-04 and was in effect let go by the 'Dogs... but long term, Anasta proved to be a somewhat limited and inconsistent player with the Roosters before being punted to the Tigers whereas Thurston became the half of his generation with the Cowboys of all teams

Burton has the physical attributes of size and mobility, a very good running game, good passing and potentially great kicking game to be a great success... But he lacks judgement that hopefully experience will bring... I also think he is struggling with his role in the team at the moment (Mahoney, too) with the expectation of playing at a big club (which we are) that has struggled for years and trying to be and do too much

It took Cleary years to convince the naysayers, too (me included)

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Anyone who refers to him as a centre from now on should be banned. He carried us to victory. That's why he's so hyped. He's a special talent. He showed massive balls putting that kick in for Fox and with the blindside run and kick before that but you want players like him to back their instincts.. And that Field Goal was tough..

Hopefully that's the win that sparks our season and gets Burton on a good run of form that we badly need to win games..
My criticism of him is where is this every week? Why didn't he do it against the Warriors? If he can play at this level every week I think we make the 8 & he would only have Munster ahead of him as the best 6 in the game.