Opinion Burton

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Face it burton has been a plodder this year like the rest and deserves as much criticism as the fav whipping boys.

however I actually place blame on the club on expectations everyone has with the public debacle in trying to get him over a year earlier . They did no favours for him

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's been our best player all year, his involvement created 2 trys today. I agree he has his good and bad but he's been really consistent since the brain explosions in the trial
Agreed which is why I stated he has his moments. Hope his moments are nothing but good moving forward

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed which is why I stated he has his moments. Hope his moments are nothing but good moving forward
He's gonna need a helping hand poor bloke been giving it his all the last few games especially. He and Max King are creating oppurtnities with offloads but keeps going to the wrong support players who just die with the ball

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It's why you don't play him on an edge, doesn't have the discipline to play there. Hopefully he's locked into the middle next season and only pushed wide for certain plays like a Papali'i or Paulo.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton is not our saviour but was brought in to add some class and x factor which he's not delivering on.
Agreed he's not the only problem but he has not been one of our better players in any of our games this year.
Something's gotta give
The kid can play. He needs to be given the chance (attacking shape and time) to show what he is capable of. I watched a couple panthers games when Cleary was out and Burton carried that team to victory.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, the Broncos were telling everyone that Staggs would be their 6 this season. Pre season ballwork showed Kevyn he's not capable, and has stayed in the centres all year thus far.
Burton isn't yet a half. Even being coached by Baz who was a very good heads up running half himself, he's been unable to bring Burton along. Maybe Burton will develop into a half after a couple more seasons. I think Flanagan could develop him into a half. Flanagan gave his players confidence, and kept it simple. The Sharks for many years play solid D and heads up unstructured attack and I believe Flanagan helped in no short way develop their style.
We need a complete overhaul of our style. Despite a complete roster overhaul, we still play flat Desball far too often.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Interestingly, the Broncos were telling everyone that Staggs would be their 6 this season. Pre season ballwork showed Kevyn he's not capable, and has stayed in the centres all year thus far.
Burton isn't yet a half. Even being coached by Baz who was a very good heads up running half himself, he's been unable to bring Burton along. Maybe Burton will develop into a half after a couple more seasons. I think Flanagan could develop him into a half. Flanagan gave his players confidence, and kept it simple. The Sharks for many years play solid D and heads up unstructured attack and I believe Flanagan helped in no short way develop their style.
We need a complete overhaul of our style. Despite a complete roster overhaul, we still play flat Desball far too often.
We play nothing like under Des. We're a poor imitation of the Panthers and have been the moment Trent walked into the club.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He doesn't have much of a passing game. Passes way too early 99% of the time before drawing the defender. He needs to put more thought into his passes rather than just playing hot potato. He needs an experienced half inside him like Reynolds who can do most of the kicking to free up his running game. I thought that was why Barrett bought Flanagan in but Burton is still made to do most of the kicking. How's that freeing him up ?
Both our halves are soft, neither dig into the line and pass, how does one create space or an overlap if they don’t dig into the line - this will allow the engaged defender to slide and cover?? Surely TB being a coach and former 5/8 is telling his halves this? Either 1.the halves can’t execute this 2.the halves are powder puffs 3. TB is not clear on this point 4. TB gives them cuddles for not following instructions
or 5. All of the above

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Burton is a centre.
If Burton is a centre what is Jake? There is still no clear role for him and he’s been in the team for a while now. Covid did him no favours

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So funny that the teams and Burton's best performances have been with him
Best performances! WTF. When was that 2004? I haven't seen a "best performance" for years. A shoddy win doesn't make it a good performance FFS.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL When u got bklokes like JMK and Jacko giving you the ball LOL
Seriously Jackson at 2nd receiver last night in attack constantly. I was swearing my head off, what the fuck was that about.
A ball playing lock Jackson is not.
If that was the game plan, Barrett needs to get the red envelope first thing Tuesday morning.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Matt Burton is a very talented footballer. Sadly he is just not a half.
The only contribution so far is that he gets the ball when its time to kick.
He needs to impose himself more. He is standing there letting Jackson do the ball work.
It's obvious that we do not have a playmaker. Burton needs to take on that role.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Still on fence with him, he has shown he has massive potential at the panthers and even here but also has shown he lacks confidence and completion skills.

I'm putting it down to player ability killer Baz because look what he's done to JAC. I have said it before, Baz does nothing good for players period and if we got Munster he'd turn him to Dumpster.