Burton

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I had a look at other key play makers stats from the first 3 weeks and it's actually pretty evident that Burton does not get involved enough compared to them.

He needs to get his hands on the ball more. He is also a great runner of the ball, I don't think I have seen him once this year push up and take a run off a quick play the ball down the edge.. maybe a show and go, but never on the front foot.

Maybe Baz coddles him a little too much? I don't know, but I think we just need him getting his hands on the ball more. Even on off days like yesterday, tuck the ball under and run. Drag 2 or 3 players with ya and get the defense second guessing. He's young, and playing for this squad is a lot more challenging then the Panthers teams I bet, but I hope we see improvement here.

Agree on the solution. Wakeham was never going to do anything different than Averillo, so should have just stuck with him. And it's not like we were atrocious against Broncos, if anything this change from Baz has made us go a few steps back like you said.
The issue is how we setup, trying to play with a ball playing lock and an on the ball half when we don't have either. Look at the Sharks, both Moylan and Hynes play on the ball, out the back, etc. It isn't all up to the one player and the halves are constantly getting the ball and asking different questions. Obviously Hynes is still the more dominant player but it's not all or nothing like it is with us. Burton should be getting the ball in better areas and not just in the same channel over and over again, i said previously he could almost play a Tommy Turbo role and still think that's a possibility. Either way what we're doing now probably isn't going to work, even then the small positives that were then Baz pissed away with a stupid change.

Malla

Reaction score
The issue is how we setup, trying to play with a ball playing lock and an on the ball half when we don't have either. Look at the Sharks, both Moylan and Hynes play on the ball, out the back, etc. It isn't all up to the one player and the halves are constantly getting the ball and asking different questions. Obviously Hynes is still the more dominant player but it's not all or nothing like it is with us. Burton should be getting the ball in better areas and not just in the same channel over and over again, i said previously he could almost play a Tommy Turbo role and still think that's a possibility. Either way what we're doing now probably isn't going to work, even then the small positives that were then Baz pissed away with a stupid change.
Agree totally. We are very predictable at the moment, which is a worry. The one issue is the lack of a ball playing lock, but also the fact our hooker is just not up to standard compared to other good teams. I just don't think JMK can provide that service out of dummy half the same way Brailey does at Sharks for example. It's also hard when your half back is not a half back. There is a huge hole in this top 30 squad and that is quality playmakers hence the struggles at the moment.
But hey, if nothing changes, I can't wait to see Kikau next year running decoys for Burton.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burton and Fox did everything they could tonight to come up with plays to spark the team.. They didn't deserve to lose or play with the losers around them.. Burton had by far his best game despite the loss.

Surely this puts to bed the stupid suggestion that he's a centre and not a half.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Played ok. Cant goals for shit. Has a lot to work on. Needs a good halves coach. Fatso and Barrett not ideal.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burton and Fox did everything they could tonight to come up with plays to spark the team.. They didn't deserve to lose or play with the losers around them.. Burton had by far his best game despite the loss.

Surely this puts to bed the stupid suggestion that he's a centre and not a half.
He and Fox and TPJ cut above the rest

jshellshear

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He will sign elsewhere at the end of the season unless a miracle takes place. Gus needs to act quickly with Baz and bring someone in who can get the best out of this side. Burton's come from a gun premiership winning side and if he cant see light at the end of the tunnel he wont hang around.

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He will sign elsewhere at the end of the season unless a miracle takes place. Gus needs to act quickly with Baz and bring someone in who can get the best out of this side. Burton's come from a gun premiership winning side and if he cant see light at the end of the tunnel he wont hang around.
Fuck me, talk about being a hypochondriac.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is exactly why he signed a two year deal. If our club bottles it and shows zero ambition he will move elsewhere.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is showing every game that he isn’t a 5/8. His last tackle options are very ordinary! Bombs and hopes for best, passes it to outside forward or runs it. He isn’t worth the money he wants!

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
He is showing every game that he isn’t a 5/8. His last tackle options are very ordinary! Bombs and hopes for best, passes it to outside forward or runs it. He isn’t worth the money he wants!
Blame the coach.

Barrett should be sued by all 17 players out there tonight for sabbotaging their NRL careers

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Imagine if he did bail though lol

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Surely? Nah, you are forgetting some of the idiots posing as journalists, and some of the fans posing as idiots.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck off barrett bring in Ciraldo or Flanagan. Get rid of Furner and fat rat and bring in high performance coaches. It’s that simple. Why are we giving Barrett this much of a chance. It’s 1/3 of the way through the season and we’ve had two wins and rest of the games we lose convincingly. Then when we beat the roosters he Carrie’s on like it’s a finals game. Mate the swuad we have we should be beating an out of form
Roosters. Hell even if they weren’t out of form we should beat em this rubbish of getting to gel and blaming refs has to stop. You’re a dud coach with dud staff. Just fuck off you’re actually hurting the club we love. No aggression and no dogs of war mentality. You’re track record speaks for itself. Trent you always were and will be somebodies assistant. End of story. Soon as Gus sees this you’re out. And anyone that thinks Gis stepped in so the boys could “hear a different voice” is as delusional as Barrett in the post match pressers