Burton

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think our front row is a potential issue now and I just don’t think we can afford to lose another prop. Napa is the most experienced prop we have by a mile and unless that’s getting replaced it’s going to cause issues.

Im not arguing about wanting Burton here ASAP but I think we should be going about it another way.

From a cap point of view I can’t see this swap happening unless we pick up a large chunk of Napa’s freight which is another negative to it all. Once you add that in with Burton’s salary I’m not sure how much money that would leave us to get a Napa replacement.
Mate I usually agree with much or most of what u say....but I just want to point out by the logic presented in paragraph 1 we should be concerned if we lose Lewis(36 first grade games) from our halves as he has played nearly 25% more first grade games than Flanno (29) & 600% more first grade experience than Burton(6). Sometimes it is not all about the number of games you have played & it is more about the effort you put in and the value u put into the jersey you wear! If the dollars stack up, (much brighter folk at the club to asses that than me), then I would prefer Burton early & giving a young hungry prop the opportunity to prove their worth than 1 more year of Nappa & the worthless shit he has been dishing up for us for too long!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mate I usually agree with much or most of what u say....but I just want to point out by the logic presented in paragraph 1 we should be concerned if we lose Lewis(36 first grade games) from our halves as he has played nearly 25% more first grade games than Flanno (29) & 600% more first grade experience than Burton(6). Sometimes it is not all about the number of games you have played & it is more about the effort you put in and the value u put into the jersey you wear! If the dollars stack up, (much brighter folk at the club to asses that than me), then I would prefer Burton early & giving a young hungry prop the opportunity to prove their worth than 1 more year of Nappa & the worthless shit he has been dishing up for us for too long!
Agree to disagree on this and I think you missed my point to some degree. I’m not saying Napa is a must keep player or has been great for us the issue I see is what front row stocks are left if he is swapped for Burton. We are putting Atoni, Hetherington and Ogden in a position were they MUST perform for a month and they aren’t yet established NRL front rowers after having a few years in first grade. Even once Thompson returns the stocks are very thin and a injury or two leaves us in huge trouble.

We could be potentially throwing those front rowers and a young halves pairing to the wolves. Sure they could perform well but we need that consistently every week and they have struggled with that and if the front row isn’t going forward it’s going to give Burton and Flanagan no chance. If Napa goes they have to replace him with another experienced prop because I can see it being a big issue if it doesn’t happen.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Agree to disagree on this and I think you missed my point to some degree. I’m not saying Napa is a must keep player or has been great for us the issue I see is what front row stocks are left if he is swapped for Burton. We are putting Atoni, Hetherington and Ogden in a position were they MUST perform for a month and they aren’t yet established NRL front rowers after having a few years in first grade. Even once Thompson returns the stocks are very thin and a injury or two leaves us in huge trouble.

We could be potentially throwing those front rowers and a young halves pairing to the wolves. Sure they could perform well but we need that consistently every week and they have struggled with that and if the front row isn’t going forward it’s going to give Burton and Flanagan no chance. If Napa goes they have to replace him with another experienced prop because I can see it being a big issue if it doesn’t happen.
Add to that Spoonman is the fact that Hetherington was a bit of a loose cannon......and has a bit of a reputation with the Judiciary. Sure, he may well have changed and RB may have got in his ear, but it only takes one indiscretion and our front row stocks will be quite diminished. Hetherington has not got a lot og NRL games under his bely (possibly more for Atoni & Ogden.....but they both need to be fit).Talk of Stimson is fine, but he has played very little at Prop (if any). It is also important to note that the number of interchanges has been reduced for next year and there are likely to be far less scrums for a prop to take a rest........we need fit and athletic types.....that's where Thompson will add some value eventually.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Add to that Spoonman is the fact that Hetherington was a bit of a loose cannon......and has a bit of a reputation with the Judiciary. Sure, he may well have changed and RB may have got in his ear, but it only takes one indiscretion and our front row stocks will be quite diminished. Hetherington has not got a lot og NRL games under his bely (possibly more for Atoni & Ogden.....but they both need to be fit).Talk of Stimson is fine, but he has played very little at Prop (if any). It is also important to note that the number of interchanges has been reduced for next year and there are likely to be far less scrums for a prop to take a rest........we need fit and athletic types.....that's where Thompson will add some value eventually.
Great point about Hetherington Blue! His high tackle on Tapau will haunt him for a while because of the loading for any type of high tackle will result in a suspension now. So much will rely on Thompson this year he has to play like an elite prop to lead the way because we can’t expect the rest to do it as they haven’t shown they are capable in their career yet.

I think Hetherington and Atoni will improve and step up but Ogden has so much work to do and Stimson can probably do a job too but to what degree? Napa hasn’t been great but he’s a big body and has experience plus the most important thing he is off contract and we have seen what players do in a contract year. In a perfect world we swap Napa for Burton as well as buying an experienced prop but a lot has to fall into place for that to happen. I don’t think we afford to bring in another rookie prop in to replace Napa with what we have.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The point you make about no scrums with the new rules is quite valid.

Mobility may become more important than size. Defensive ability and the skill to offload could be more important than go forward.

I was watching a replay the other day of the 98 Preliminary Final against Parramatta. Relf's great offload to a flying Silva into space with only the fullback to beat which he did.

I think this sort of try will be quite common in 2021 particularly as forwards get tired and get out of position in the defensive line.