News Burton 'the one' as Bulldogs eye Knights

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wowed at "(Fullback Matt) Dufty and Burton are keys to us; the rest just have to do their job."

Great to see that TB thinks only 2 players from our spine are Key… any wonder we struggle scoring points when all teams value the 4 spine positions as “key”
Bingo.
That's half the problem right there.
Our esteemed coach doesnt seem to know much about the game at all.....

Burt Matton

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is anyone really the one?
We are the perfect example of a team
Of disconnect basically in every position.
We could of spent 10 million extra on our cap extra and been no better.
Baz to soft like our players
Neo is but that’s about it.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Trent Barrett has called on playmaker Matt Burton to bring the magic to the bottom-of-the-table tussle that will kick off three days of rugby league at Suncorp Stadium.
It's 15th against 16th on Friday to begin the NRL's Magic Round in Brisbane, both the Bulldogs and Newcastle eyeing a third win to improve rocky 2-7 starts to the season.

And while valiant in losses, Barrett sees Penrith recruit Burton as the man to provide the polish that's been missing when it matters.

"He's got that in him," Barrett said of his match-turning five-eighth.
"Burto's a pretty introverted player away from the field but he is that bloke (on the field).

"He's come up with good plays in the last few weeks at crucial times and we know that's in him, he's the one we can really follow.
"(Fullback Matt) Dufty and Burton are keys to us; the rest just have to do their job."
The Bulldogs mustered just four points against Canberra last week in a let-down after their upset of the Sydney Roosters a week earlier.

But the Knights are no better, on a seven-game losing streak since opening the season 2-0.
They've lost by a combined score of 125-20 in the last three weeks alone but in captain and fullback Kalyn Ponga showed signs of life in last week's 36-16 loss to North Queensland.
"Newcastle are in a similar situation (to us) ... this weekend's really important,' Barrett said.
"The errors we tossed up (in last week's loss), really unforced errors, they're the ones we need to get out of our game.
"We make it too hard on ourselves still searching for the 80 minutes; can't fault their effort but effort alone won't win you a game."
Is Baz kidding ?
He just put a target on Burto :fearscream:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If everyone is doing their jobs then Burton and Dufty shouldn't have to be doing anything special. Starts with the coaching staff doing their job. At a minimum I think the support play needs to be sorted out. A handful of our players are dangerous in attack and can draw defence. These players should have a couple of support runners in play but seemingly don't.

If we get our support play right it takes pressure off the general play kickers. So it's a good starting point for getting back on track. Better than hoping a half in his first full year in a pressure position should pull a rabbit out of his hat.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
An even bigger one.

Every team knows you shut down Burton and we have nothing.
Whoa whoa whoa.....that's disrespectful to our halfback Tolman, our top 5 hooker JMK, the MIA cat Dufty and Flanno (whatever the fuck he does). We have attacking spark from 1-17

Oh and I almost forgot the error machines in Waddell, Knockonbor and Naden....not to mention the MIA cat Avo.

LOL I can't believe I was excited, and actually believed, we would be a great attacking side this year. We're even fucking worse than we were last year.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If everyone is doing their jobs then Burton and Dufty shouldn't have to be doing anything special. Starts with the coaching staff doing their job. At a minimum I think the support play needs to be sorted out. A handful of our players are dangerous in attack and can draw defence. These players should have a couple of support runners in play but seemingly don't.

If we get our support play right it takes pressure off the general play kickers. So it's a good starting point for getting back on track. Better than hoping a half in his first full year in a pressure position should pull a rabbit out of his hat.
This is how it should be done..
Fast and slick service from dummy half 'sadly it won't happen '.
Halfback organising the attack and the five-eight playing as a link NOT Jackson.
Until we get this right our attack will always be clunky !!!

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Whoa whoa whoa.....that's disrespectful to our halfback Tolman, our top 5 hooker JMK, the MIA cat Dufty and Flanno (whatever the fuck he does). We have attacking spark from 1-17

Oh and I almost forgot the error machines in Waddell, Knockonbor and Naden....not to mention the MIA cat Avo.

LOL I can't believe I was excited, and actually believed, we would be a great attacking side this year. We're even fucking worse than we were last year.
I swear I'm more excited for my Under 10s tomorrow. I just want tonight to be over with. I got the night planned out to make it go faster...

6:00 - scream out "let's go c***s!"
6:10 - celebrate our only try, dare to dream of a win.
6:20 - realise we are going to lose and lose ugly.
6:21 - 7:50 - get angry at the shit ***** fucking up every set.
8-10 - watch a couple of decent teams play
10 - I pass out - whinge about how shit we are on TK

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I swear I'm more excited for my Under 10s tomorrow. I just want tonight to be over with. I got the night night plan to make it go faster...

6:00 - scream out "let's go c***s!"
6:10 - celebrate our only try, dare to dream of a win.
6:20 - realise we are going to lose and lose ugly.
6:21 - 7:50 - get angry at the shit ***** fucking up every set.
8-10 - watch a couple of decent teams play
10 - I pass out - whinge about how shit we are on TK
Groundhog day :grimacing:

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just realised that I didn't watch our last game. Wow, I really am losing the passion. I did listen to (most of) the call live and watched the Kayo mini game, but haven't watched the full game. I also cancelled Kayo recently, so don't know what I'll do at 6pm tonight.

Anyway, the reason I remembered is I was thinking how they (think it was Alan Tongue?) gave Burto the 2 points. That's pretty impressive for a player on the losing side, but it did sound like he was excellent.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only 1 of 2.

Barrett putting more heat on the one kid we don't want to stress out.
Disagree. He needs to step up as one of our highest paying players. Need to stop putting players in cotton wool and call it out for what it is. Burton needs to get use to the pressure as our main halves player.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just realised that I didn't watch our last game. Wow, I really am losing the passion. I did listen to (most of) the call live and watched the Kayo mini game, but haven't watched the full game. I also cancelled Kayo recently, so don't know what I'll do at 6pm tonight.

Anyway, the reason I remembered is I was thinking how they (think it was Alan Tongue?) gave Burto the 2 points. That's pretty impressive for a player on the losing side, but it did sound like he was excellent.
Mate you're not missing out. It was one of the worst Bulldogs games I've watched in the last 20 years (and that includes the 07-08 seasons). I don't remember the exact stats but from memory we only had 4 tackles in Canberra's half in the first half. Absolute bludger of a game

Yes Burton is starting to show signs of life. He came up with some instinctive plays. If this is a sign of what's to come then we've got a gun. We just need to replace all the park footballers surrounding him with actual FG quality players

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just heard on Matty johns show he wants out and wants to go back to panthers and asked Gus

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well then Gus can see that Baz has no influence over him anymore then. Lol

I can't believe it is true after 10 games surely.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s going to be pissing down. I doubt the game will be any more than a slog in the middle third.
Oh wonderful ... after dickfingers Naden last week, it'll be a horror show.

That said Burton needs to bring those massive piss off spiral bombs if its wet, as they'll be nigh on impossible to catch.