News Burton 'the one' as Bulldogs eye Knights

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Trent Barrett has called on playmaker Matt Burton to bring the magic to the bottom-of-the-table tussle that will kick off three days of rugby league at Suncorp Stadium.
It's 15th against 16th on Friday to begin the NRL's Magic Round in Brisbane, both the Bulldogs and Newcastle eyeing a third win to improve rocky 2-7 starts to the season.

And while valiant in losses, Barrett sees Penrith recruit Burton as the man to provide the polish that's been missing when it matters.

"He's got that in him," Barrett said of his match-turning five-eighth.
"Burto's a pretty introverted player away from the field but he is that bloke (on the field).

"He's come up with good plays in the last few weeks at crucial times and we know that's in him, he's the one we can really follow.
"(Fullback Matt) Dufty and Burton are keys to us; the rest just have to do their job."
The Bulldogs mustered just four points against Canberra last week in a let-down after their upset of the Sydney Roosters a week earlier.

But the Knights are no better, on a seven-game losing streak since opening the season 2-0.
They've lost by a combined score of 125-20 in the last three weeks alone but in captain and fullback Kalyn Ponga showed signs of life in last week's 36-16 loss to North Queensland.
"Newcastle are in a similar situation (to us) ... this weekend's really important,' Barrett said.
"The errors we tossed up (in last week's loss), really unforced errors, they're the ones we need to get out of our game.
"We make it too hard on ourselves still searching for the 80 minutes; can't fault their effort but effort alone won't win you a game."

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is anyone really the one?
We are the perfect example of a team
Of disconnect basically in every position.
We could of spent 10 million extra on our cap extra and been no better.
Baz to soft like our players

jordansaba

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only 1 of 2.

Barrett putting more heat on the one kid we don't want to stress out.
i mean would u rather our coach say he’s going well even tho he’s not, maybe he needs a kick up the ass like this

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Awesome coach....

Hey Matt, please carry all the deadwood in your team on your shoulders while you learn your trade.

No pressure though....oh and when we lose its your fault.

Last edited:

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome coach....

Hey Matt, please carry all the deadwood in your team on your shoulders while you learn your trade.

No pressure though....
Interesting that Baz said "Dufty and Burton are keys to us". I'm sure I'm not the only one on TK to say in the preseason that Burton should be our main playmaker and Baz should build our team around him and his style of footy just like Murray did with Thurston as HB at Nth Qld. I recall that Thurston was a part time 6 and not a 7 when played with the Dogs in 04.
Baz keeps on using 3 dud options at HB in Flange, Wake and Avo when it's clear they are not up to NRL standard. Those 3 can't handle pressure and go missing when the game is on the line but Baz still persists with the same shite. That is the definition of insanity.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wowed at "(Fullback Matt) Dufty and Burton are keys to us; the rest just have to do their job."

Great to see that TB thinks only 2 players from our spine are Key… any wonder we struggle scoring points when all teams value the 4 spine positions as “key”

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No 1 or ‘I’ in team.. all 17 should performing as a unit.
Barrett’s coaching pretty much hold the ball, get the yardage and see what rabbit our recruits can pull outta hat. It’s poor coaching even it wasn’t professional sport.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Tbaz: Hey Burto I reckon your the shite, I have this awesome plan that before you get the ball JMK will waste 3 seconds and then JJ will waste another 4 seconds so by the time you get the ball the opposition is at home fuking your mumma. Can you win us the match with that plan mate?

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2-7?
That’d be 2-9.

At this rate we will win 4 or 5 games all year. Faaaark.
Something better change soon.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i mean would u rather our coach say he’s going well even tho he’s not, maybe he needs a kick up the ass like this
Burto not going well... Admittedly had a rough start but prop our best the last couple of weeks. Last thing we need is to put the world on the kids shoulders for Addo-Carr (Fox) (Fux) sake.