Burton is overrated.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, Meaney is turning around <1 metre directly in front of Avo in the above picture because Avo hadn't drawn his man? Good one, Mrs Flanagan.
Avo began passing at the 40m mark but it didn't leave his hands until later. The pass was not called forward. Moot point, grasping at straws.
But look, let's say you're right (you're not), why not just submit and go to ground? Why run from 10 metres infield out of play? There's no excuse for that. No other half in the NRL would do that. Absolute fuckery.
My previous posts were the facts, uncomfortable for some as they were.

If I had to guess and that’s all it is a guess, Flanagan may have thought he could get away from Wishart by turning towards Meaney to draw his tackle and free Averillo up for a run down the side line. It didn‘t work and in hindsight, a wonderful thing, he should have taken the tackle and maybe we would have made something on the next play. Who knows.

Always a Bulldog

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He wasn’t in a worse position. Flanagan catching the ball then stepping back towards the sideline was the dumb play.
Huge mistake. I actually want this kid to turn it around and go good. This is his last year to make it unfortunately otherwise off to the UK.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nice crop and selective choice of the frame, but you‘re too late the problem was created by Averillo 10 metres before that.

View attachment 66331

He commits the cardinal sin of not drawing his man and passes 5 metres too early.

Note where Averillo passes the ball, just before the 40 metre line and where Flanagan catches it

View attachment 66332

Yep, 2 metres past the 40 metre line, it was a forward pass (some teams would get away with it but not us).

Flanagan was also aware of the much faster Wishart on his inside, making ground on him and moved away. The problem was Averillo had not drawn Meaney so Flanagan was sandwiched between the 2 defenders.

The above is all obvious to anyone without Flanagan hate glasses.

Always a Bulldog
Flano could have taken the tackle or stay running his line or even kick the ball, but Noooooooooo he stepped back to Averillo side and ran out causing him to throw the ball back to Melbourne.

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate it’s the Kennel, some of these same boofheads had Ciraldo in the can’t coach bin after 1 FG game.

Both have a long way to go but I am sure when we are back on top, they will both be major contributors to that success.
Tbf I had him in the bin after the sharks trial loss.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think his Goal kicking is definitely overrated. he gives me a touch of Parkinson's every time he sets. up the kicking tee, I think this is another matter that has to be addressed. in a game where every point counts
Yeah I tend to agree.
I think he has improved but still not consistent enough in his goal kicking.
He is over 70% I guess
But the good ones are way above 80%

Chriton will no doubt take over I guess when he comes over next year.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nice crop and selective choice of the frame, but you‘re too late the problem was created by Averillo 10 metres before that.

View attachment 66331

He commits the cardinal sin of not drawing his man and passes 5 metres too early.

Note where Averillo passes the ball, just before the 40 metre line and where Flanagan catches it

View attachment 66332

Yep, 2 metres past the 40 metre line, it was a forward pass (some teams would get away with it but not us).

Flanagan was also aware of the much faster Wishart on his inside, making ground on him and moved away. The problem was Averillo had not drawn Meaney so Flanagan was sandwiched between the 2 defenders.

The above is all obvious to anyone without Flanagan hate glasses.

Always a Bulldog
Noticed Avarillo passed infield to get away from the sideline and

"Flanagan was also aware of the much faster Wishart on his inside, making ground on him and moved away. "

He is the only FG player who would move away towards the sideline so he can be taken into touch.

Should have just taken the tackle.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a baffling decision by Flange. Several of us reacted as such when it happened because it looked so unorthodox. Anyway this is about Burton. Just on his running game. He does run, but gets tackled usually. I’d imagine he is shouldering a lot of the ball playing and organising, that his runs are limited, but if you try to break the line and are always getting tackled, you’re probably going to use other tricks in your arsenal.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He has the potential to be great, nobody can deny that. But he is a work in very early progress.
Bro, cmon. Take away that massive kick he has and then what else does he honestly have to offer? even in the two games we've played so far we are still yet to see those giant bombs we know he has.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Bro, cmon. Take away that massive kick he has and then what else does he honestly have to offer? even in the two games we've played so far we are still yet to see those giant bombs we know he has.
Just trying to be positive about the centre bro...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He usually has great grubbers and cross field chips, haven't seen much of that yet. His grubbers went dead against Melbourne but hopefully once he shakes the rust off, he gets the touch back on those which he had last year..

I'm over him constantly going to the bomb and would rather he put in more well placed clearing kicks that find grass like he did the last few kicks against Melbourne which helped ice the game. He definitely goes to the bombs too often. Once he varies his kicking game more, he'll be alot better for it as he can execute most kicks well. It's just his decision making which needs to improve.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He's not the finished product yet. I have faith in the clubs decision to make him our long term 5/8. Think his future combination with KO will be a premiership halves combination. Perhaps it's my age but I appear to have some patients.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Surely even the biggest Burton haters would admit he was very good today. He looks to have shaken off the rust of a disrupted preseason and was back to his running best..

He had 1 try, 141 metres, 5 tackle busts, 1 line break, 1 line break assist, 1 offload, 11 tackles (most importantly 0 missed), 260 kicking metres..

He's developing a great connection with Mahoney back in behind the marker which is how he scored that try.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We really need a halfback to compliment him. He was on today but again it’s all on him, if he doesn’t fire we know what the game looks like.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Surely even the biggest Burton haters would admit he was very good today. He looks to have shaken off the rust of a disrupted preseason and was back to his running best..

He had 1 try, 141 metres, 5 tackle busts, 1 line break, 1 line break assist, 1 offload, 11 tackles (most importantly 0 missed), 260 kicking metres..

He's developing a great connection with Mahoney back in behind the marker which is how he scored that try.
Yeah, quiet thread tonight - not that he was incredible and that people need to fall on the metaphorical sword, but a bit of balance would be alright.

The timing and combination with Kikau is noticeably improving, a lot to like.