Rumour Burton Could Walk Out On Dogs

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's say for one millisecond that this is true.

1. If the board are aware of this then why would they persist with Barrett? There has to be unrest amongst the players and they need to move Barrett on now!
2. Talk of Burton having a get out clause should Barrett no longer be coach. Give this another millisecond thought (sorry to take up your time) but if a player will only play for a coach and not the club, fu*k him off should his manager use this as a bargaining chip as part of an extension deal.
3. Burton has not lived up to his price tag or his ability. Blame Barrett sure, but Burton's skills with the ball has not shown the creativity we thought he had so the jury is still out on whether he is actually a 5/8 or centre. I can't see how he has increased his market value.
Not living up to his price tag?????
Throw in : Gus, Barrett & his coaching staff,JAC, TPJ, Jackson, Thompson Flanagan to name a few. Basically everyone that has donned a Dogs jersey this season.
The only common denominator at the Club right now.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
At the end of the day, I’d assume he’ll get upgraded. As we have to spend our cap regardless. I’d rather the money go to him, as opposed to some other players. Munster has been a machine all year. Still played well last night, yet could argue he did nothing without he’s weapons around him

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Im like you..... torn on this issue.

Averillo IMO IS and has PROVEN to be a better 5/8th in out team. Avo has been pushed out of his best position to accommodate Burton who hasn't really fired.

Both have good footy brains. Burton's kicking game is superior and his long kicks and bombs is something we currently desperately need.

Averillo worth his current contract if he plays at 5/8th but wasted if he doesn't. Burton, not even worth the reported 500k let alone an upgrade but could be worth it next year if Mahoney and coaching staff can change our attack.

The club (and Gus in particular) have a very important decision to make regarding 5/8th.

They probably have to keep one of Burton or Averillo. Keeping them both would require either Burton plays centre or Averillo comes good at halfback.

Here's something to think about....
Would you take Munster at 1.2M, Burton at 800k or Hunt at 1M?
All 3 have great kicking games.

I'll be taking the established stars (Munster or Hunt). You don't pay over 500k on potential no matter who they are.

The word potential is the biggest risk in rugby league that seldom pays off
I wasn't trying to make this a Burton vs Averillo debate about who's better (Burton is better), I was just comparing our two seasons and how they and the team performed and imo we're worse off now than we were before. The second half of the season could change that but right now it just doesn't look like happening.

I agree with you about the established halves and this is exactly where I'm at right now with this whole situation, facts are that we NEED a bloke like that and if we have to let Burton go to make that happen then I have absolutely no issue in doing so. I think most people would agree that we would be in a far better position right now if we had signed Reynolds instead of Burton and made do with what we had at 5/8. Unfortunately there's fuck all halfbacks in the NRL never mind the market so I think we're best off looking at someone like Keary/Munster and developing a half alongside them.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the end of the day, I’d assume he’ll get upgraded. As we have to spend our cap regardless. I’d rather the money go to him, as opposed to some other players. Munster has been a machine all year. Still played well last night, yet could argue he did nothing without he’s weapons around him
Of course he will get upgraded. As Nathan Brown said a few years ago - you can’t do a good deal anymore. If you sign a bloke for too much money he won’t give it back and if you sign a bloke for unders they will agitate for release.

Gus will sort it at the end of the year.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If any truth to this…

As much as I love the burton and Fox combo, I’d much prefer burton go.. if a player has all these doubts or even thinks about leaving then so be it.. we don’t want players who don’t genuinely want to be here, it does not work and it’s best they move on. It’s no good for the club or supporters.

and if i would much prefer burton leaving, I would hate it to be the fox that wanted OUT.!! He is the bulldogs.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Of course he will get upgraded. As Nathan Brown said a few years ago - you can’t do a good deal anymore. If you sign a bloke for too much money he won’t give it back and if you sign a bloke for unders they will agitate for release.

Gus will sort it at the end of the year.
You can only do a good deal if you are Storm or Roosters while the NRL turns a blind eye... Everyone else has to pay overs.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He was better with your mate next to him...
Jake was always the best option, the team and Burton were better off with him and there were at least signs of a combination building. Haven't seen anything resemble a halves combination since then..

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Although this is just the media stirring things I really don’t care anymore. He is not playing to the level he was made out to be. We were all hoping to be in a better position than we are in but we weren’t winning a premiership either. He should have never been under any illusions that hard work was needed.
We'd get the same performance from a team worth a total of $2 million, tops. So, let the highly paid underperformers go.

I'd rather watch kids play to their ability and struggle to win, than this mob of overpaid jellyfish.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Jake was always the best option, the team and Burton were better off with him and there were at least signs of a combination building. Haven't seen anything resemble a halves combination since then..
Yep, love him or hate him, Avo appeared to work the best with Burton.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the problem i have with the cap floor.
Teams are forced to pay inflated prices for players not really worthy. Then, when the true stars hit the market, they seek for even more. It inflates prices for no real return.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still reckon they are getting Flannos game tally up so he is eligible to get a work visa in England next year

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You can only do a good deal if you are Storm or Roosters while the NRL turns a blind eye... Everyone else has to pay overs.
We got Reed on a good deal. Top teams and clubs that have had success for a long period of time are always going to have an advantage is signing/retention. If you get enough roster (and coaching) decisions right you slowly start to close the gap. If not you're just wasting year after year.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Burton walks Gould's days are numbered too.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise if Rajab gets here sooner than later.

He did play in the pre-season trial against the Sharks.
Rajab has potential but needs development. There are lots potential players coming through. And the club is throwing them up so they can a swim or b see where they need development. We are a good 2 to 3 years till we start seeing the development players coming through having a impact. Will be interested to see next weeks team with the Reggie’s now available to play or we stick to same. Done the success achievement in Reggie’s and flegg has been due to development and opportunities.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to make this a Burton vs Averillo debate about who's better (Burton is better), I was just comparing our two seasons and how they and the team performed and imo we're worse off now than we were before. The second half of the season could change that but right now it just doesn't look like happening.

I agree with you about the established halves and this is exactly where I'm at right now with this whole situation, facts are that we NEED a bloke like that and if we have to let Burton go to make that happen then I have absolutely no issue in doing so. I think most people would agree that we would be in a far better position right now if we had signed Reynolds instead of Burton and made do with what we had at 5/8. Unfortunately there's fuck all halfbacks in the NRL never mind the market so I think we're best off looking at someone like Keary/Munster and developing a half alongside them.
Agree with all that.
But im also happy to state the fact that Avo has already proven to be better (in our team) than Burton has, over the sane amount of games. Avo also did it with a shitter team.

Like I said, the club has a dilemma. If they put their eggs in the Burton basket, they better find an established half quick smart. Probably have to let Avo go too.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's the problem i have with the cap floor.
Teams are forced to pay inflated prices for players not really worthy. Then, when the true stars hit the market, they seek for even more. It inflates prices for no real return.
Exactly and our stupid club signs em up for 3 year deals. If u have to spend the cap. Give ‘em 1 year deals. Keeps options open, when someone does hit the market

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I still reckon they are getting Flannos game tally up so he is eligible to get a work visa in England next year
I'm not sure of the exact reason but I'm certain Gus is the one behind the whole halves debacle we saw this season and quite a few other decisions. I don't think Gus cares about results this season or what is fans think.