Rumour Burton Could Walk Out On Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Canterbury Bulldogs are facing a serious battle to keep their best player Matt Burton long term.

Two terrible losses to the Newcastle Knights at Magic Round and the Canberra Raiders the week before have left the Bulldogs at rock bottom, the first team since the South Queensland Crushers in 1996 not to score 100 points in the first 10 rounds.

They’ve gone backwards since Phil Gould arrived with new signings Burton, Josh Addo-Carr, Tevita Pangai Jnr, Paul Vaughan, Matt Dufty and Brent Naden.

Matt Burton getting paid unders and losing games at the Bulldogs. Picture: Mark Nolan/Getty Images

Matt Burton getting paid unders and losing games at the Bulldogs. Picture: Mark Nolan/Getty Images

Interestingly Burton’s manager David Riolo says the outstanding five-eighth will more than likely test the open market at the end of the season.

He originally signed for only two years – at an average of $500,000 a season – with an option his way.

There is no doubt Burton could earn 40 per cent more at a rival club – and, importantly, improve his game at a stronger outfit with better coaching.

The Bulldogs have salary cap pressure and have made no move to extend or increase his contract.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Although this is just the media stirring things I really don’t care anymore. He is not playing to the level he was made out to be. We were all hoping to be in a better position than we are in but we weren’t winning a premiership either. He should have never been under any illusions that hard work was needed.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good. Sign some real established leaders like Keary or Munster with the money he is on then the likes of BBO, Averillo, Rajab, Hayward can all benefit greatly from their experience and leadership.
Keary - finished
Munster - keep dreaming
BBO & Averillo - MASSIVELY overrated
Hayward & Rajab - Potential but a long way off

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
When Burton is playing recently he doesn't look happy or to interested in his teammates... As far as I can tell he only really gets along with Naden, JMK and Addo-Carr. Could be wrong though.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton is my fav player in the team atm. But I also get the feeling he isn’t used to the losing feeling and could potentially leave. But in saying that we have him till 2023 and 2024 our cap is way open so I doubt the club will just let him walk. They’ll offer a big $ account as not many great 6s going around who are available.