Rumour Burton Could Walk Out On Dogs

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
At the end of the day, the blokes a star. Still extremely young, and I believe will be a future legend of the game. Just needs some quality around him. He’s the best we’ve had in a long time. Big body, rarely gets injured. I’m praying the missing ingredient is Mahoney
Is that your pup in your avatar?

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Also everyone saying we pay too much for players. It’s true, yet it’s the shit system. Clubs are forced to spend 95% of cap i believe. So we are forced to spend on our shit players, this is why they never want to leave. Compare our $400 000 players to say the roosters. There’s would be borderline origin players, ours are first grade wannabe’s

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What all players wanting out of a shit team need to be reminded of is that they are in fact contributors to that shit team. Dogs have a lot of $$$$ available to spend on 2024 contracts - money wont be an issue from the club perspective.

What the club still hasnt mastered is the due diligence required when signing/ recruiting players - Naden has always had defensive and handling issues, TPJ has always had temperament issues, Okunbor has always had handling/ defence/ intensity issues, Flanagan serious limitations in running the ball, Burns so many injuries, Josh Cook was overlooked by SOuths who played their Flegg hooker ahead of him because of his lack of defence - yet all signed or re signed by current regime. TPJ has a lot of skill so may be that is one where the risk is worth it - also if things go sour highly likely another club will take a risk and so he can be moved on - unlike Flanagan etc.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I reckon give him an extra 150k and promise him Baz is gone and he will stay.
Give him nothing, doesn't even deserve his current deal if we're being honest. Needs to actually do something in the second half of the season to justify it.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Give him nothing, doesn't even deserve his current deal if we're being honest. Needs to actually do something in the second half of the season to justify it.
Give The poor bastard a break bro. He isn't the reason why we are shit. If anything he over compensates because he knows he is carrying 15 shit *****.

I'd like to see him have at least 10 rounds next year with Mahoney and hopefully a real coach, HB and FB.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It doesn’t help when your dope of a hooker keeps giving the ball to dufty and Flanagan on one side instead of sending it to burton.. as we saw him produce a try for addo Carr.. some people have nfi on here.. he’s our only genuine half doing anything

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Give The poor bastard a break bro. I'd like to see him have at least 10 rounds next year with Mahoney and hopefully a real coach, HB and FB.
He isn't even on track to beat Averillo's attacking output from last season so why should we? It isn't all his fault but we should still expect more from a bloke that is supposedly a superstar. Right now he just looks like a Lewis clone.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It doesn’t help when your dope of a hooker keeps giving the ball to dufty and Flanagan on one side instead of sending it to burton.. as we saw him produce a try for addo Carr.. some people have nfi on here.. he’s our only genuine half doing anything
Burton handles the ball more.

tyl0r

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's not playing like a 750k player though. Needs to step up.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's say for one millisecond that this is true.

1. If the board are aware of this then why would they persist with Barrett? There has to be unrest amongst the players and they need to move Barrett on now!
2. Talk of Burton having a get out clause should Barrett no longer be coach. Give this another millisecond thought (sorry to take up your time) but if a player will only play for a coach and not the club, fu*k him off should his manager use this as a bargaining chip as part of an extension deal.
3. Burton has not lived up to his price tag or his ability. Blame Barrett sure, but Burton's skills with the ball has not shown the creativity we thought he had so the jury is still out on whether he is actually a 5/8 or centre. I can't see how he has increased his market value.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Give The poor bastard a break bro. He isn't the reason why we are shit. If anything he over compensates because he knows he is carrying 15 shit *****.

I'd like to see him have at least 10 rounds next year with Mahoney and hopefully a real coach, HB and FB.
The issue I have with burton is that he comes across too introverted
For a player that is a focal point in attack and is expected to come up with big plays , that’s a real problem

The good things we do in games and there’s not much of them come from his boot and not from any set up, guile or craft .

We can blame coaching for our poor structures but good players make things happen and burton just looks like that he gets absorbed in our mediocrity instead of trying to do something too stand out against it

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He isn't even on track to beat Averillo's attacking output from last season so why should we? It isn't all his fault but we should still expect more from a bloke that is supposedly a superstar. Right now he just looks like a Lewis clone.
Im like you..... torn on this issue.

Averillo IMO IS and has PROVEN to be a better 5/8th in out team. Avo has been pushed out of his best position to accommodate Burton who hasn't really fired.

Both have good footy brains. Burton's kicking game is superior and his long kicks and bombs is something we currently desperately need.

Averillo worth his current contract if he plays at 5/8th but wasted if he doesn't. Burton, not even worth the reported 500k let alone an upgrade but could be worth it next year if Mahoney and coaching staff can change our attack.

The club (and Gus in particular) have a very important decision to make regarding 5/8th.

They probably have to keep one of Burton or Averillo. Keeping them both would require either Burton plays centre or Averillo comes good at halfback.

Here's something to think about....
Would you take Munster at 1.2M, Burton at 800k or Hunt at 1M?
All 3 have great kicking games.

I'll be taking the established stars (Munster or Hunt). You don't pay over 500k on potential no matter who they are.

The word potential is the biggest risk in rugby league that seldom pays off

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issue I have with burton is that he comes across too introverted
For a player that is a focal point in attack and is expected to come up with big plays , that’s a real problem

The good things we do in games and there’s not much of them come from his boot and not from any set up, guile or craft .

We can blame coaching for our poor structures but good players make things happen and burton just looks like that he gets absorbed in our mediocrity instead of trying to do something too stand out against it
The killer stat for me is that we are the worst team since South QLD Crushers to score points.

No matter how good you are or whatever potential you may have, that kind of stat should weigh on his shoulders.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He was better with your mate next to him...