News Burton backflip: Panthers take aim in Dogs drive-by as star’s ‘second thoughts’ spark another tug of war

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That’s actual tampering
For sure. Too bad there's no such thing in the NRL and they allow players, coaches and officials to say what they want without penalty or punishment. But say one bad word about a ref or the NRL itself and it's a massive fine. It's a joke of a sporting league.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Fletcher is just fucking with you guys because Trent can't keep his mitts off our players. Burton may well be second guessing his decision, but he signed on the dotted line & will be with you guys next year.

Some of the reactions here are pretty funny though. The push from the Dogs to get him early was a media shit storm, one article from a staff writer about it going the other way and you are all losing your minds.

I don't know why you dont all just jump ship & become Panthers supporters. If Trent got his way in a few years your team will just be Penrith in blue & white jerseys. Kind of ironic, blue & white were our colours pre 1967.
If they're off contract, Fletcher and panfers just have to either re-sign them all or wave goodbye.

You guys were chocolate soldiers at one stage with your team colours. Why so many changes to team colours looking for an identity?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fletcher is just fucking with you guys because Trent can't keep his mitts off our players. Burton may well be second guessing his decision, but he signed on the dotted line & will be with you guys next year.

Some of the reactions here are pretty funny though. The push from the Dogs to get him early was a media shit storm, one article from a staff writer about it going the other way and you are all losing your minds.

I don't know why you dont all just jump ship & become Panthers supporters. If Trent got his way in a few years your team will just be Penrith in blue & white jerseys. Kind of ironic, blue & white were our colours pre 1967.
Haha like Ivan when he kept taking Elijah Taylor, Mautalino and all his other favourites every time he jumped ship... Ivan is a hypocritical **** and he's lucky his son is a great footballer or he wouldn't coaching Panthers benefiting off Gould's work

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Lets not take a chance of inflaming the situation.
Let's remain professional and leave it to Penrith to look the silly party.
I don't see it coming to anything, no way the board are retarded enough to release him. Just saying if we said we arent releasing him, that would be the end of it, at least for dogs fans, Panthers cant do anything no matter how inflamed they get, so i dont care how pissed panthers get. Let them cry.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Next game against penrith gonna be interesting lol
Not until we get a competitive roster. They'll just slap us up and embarrass us. If we start winning games (very unlikely) or start announcing more signings for 22 this negative media will go away/slow down for a bit.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s a difficult situation. What would you do if you were Matt Burton ? Play in a team that will be premiership contenders , even win a few compared to a side that will struggle to make the finals ? How important is it to play in the halves ? Is money a factor ? i have no doubt that Burton would prefer to stay at Penrith.
Unless the Dogs can find a decent 7 and 9, they will again be also rans in 2022

Last edited:

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s a difficult situation. What would you do if you were Matt Burton ? Play in a team that will be premiership contenders , even win a few compared to a side that will struggle to make the finals ? How important is it to play in the halves ? Is money a factor ? i have no doubt that Burton would prefer to stay at Penrith.
Unless the Dogs can find a decent 7 and 9, they will again be also rans in 2021
Just honour the contract signed.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think the Panthers are saying stuff like this to get TK etc into a frenzy. It worked a treat.
I don't think Fletcher or the Panthers are that clever. They're just insecure arrogant pricks who think they're smarter than they are. If they were so smart they would have made Burton a priority over Staines or Chrichton.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
:fearscream::tearsofjoy:
What a ridiculous article.
Fletcher has made himself look stupid with a tit-for-tat ‘we want the same opportunity’.
Fact is until 4 weeks ago Burto was not getting played in first grade so prior to that he signed with someone who would guarantee he would. Also in his preferred position. And a hefty pay rise. Tick, tick, tick. Now that he’s going great suddenly the Cats want to keep him.
I’m sure Khoury is having a giggle at the suggestion the Dogs might release Burto. #ClickBaitCrap
Yep pretty salty they have released a half that will rival if not surpass Nathan. Ivan didn’t want Burton playing first grade because he was looking after his sons best interests, now they are all realising how good this kid is going to be.
Suck shit Penrith

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless the Dogs can find a decent 7 and 9, they will again be also rans in 2021
Dude...he fukin signed a contract....no one made him sign the contract...sick of this shit and the nrl should be onto the panthers and fining them

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Matt Burton saga is far from over.

After winning a feisty tug of war for his services this season, it seems Penrith hasn’t quite given up on the idea of their young star staying for a little longer.

After Burton signed a contract with Canterbury from next season, the undefeated Panthers made sure he stayed in Penrith for the current campaign, and now Penrith chief executive Brian Fletcher has delivered a shot at the Bulldogs in a statement of intent from the league leaders.

“For his development and his future, he would be far better staying with us next year,” Fletcher told the Sydney Morning Herald.

“He’s a young bloke and his future would be assured here. He will keep climbing the ladder with us. I don’t know if that will be the case at the Bulldogs.

“One player can’t win games on his own.”

Burton agreed a two-year deal with the Bulldogs from 2022, but according to the Herald, the Panthers feel the 21-year-old is having “second thoughts” about leaving at the end of the year. Not everyone at the club is reportedly “comfortable” with the idea of a Burton backflip.

The Herald reports Burton’s deal with the Bulldogs is worth $450,000 in 2022 and $500,000 in 2023 and that Penrith would, at very least, need to match that offer.

For Burton to renege on his Bulldogs deal, he would have to be granted a release by Canterbury.

“They [Bulldogs] wanted him to break his contract this year and had conversations with him about it,” Fletcher added.

“We just want the same opportunity to have the conversations with him now.

“He’s only young. His career wouldn’t have gone ahead as far if we hadn’t looked after him and developed him.”
The one thing I will tell that idiot Fletcher...You lost last years grand final :tearsofjoy:
The other thing is you still have to make this years grand final let alone win it.
and remember idiot, your first of only two premierships you have won was when two of our toughest players Chris Mortimer and Peter Kelly joined your chocolate soldiers turning into men !!!