News Burton backflip: Panthers take aim in Dogs drive-by as star’s ‘second thoughts’ spark another tug of war

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What Fletcher does not mention is when everyone is fully fit, Burton is not in Penrith's top 17, he started the year in reserve grade. He's only been picked in first grade because of injury and suspension and is starting to show his full potential. Fletcher is seeing that and understandably wants to keep him but a kid of his quality wants to play first grade week in week out. The Panthers will find out soon how hard it is to keep a quality squad together when all of their kids start putting their hands out for more money when their contracts are up for renewal.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
So much stress over nothing. Dogs would have to release him and Burto himself has said nothing.
Time for one of your vids OP.

This one on Fletcher bringing the Panthers, and NRL, into disrepute for suggesting contract "tampering" and/or facilitating a breach of a legally binding NRL contract .

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a ridiculous article.
Fletcher has made himself look stupid with a tit-for-tat ‘we want the same opportunity’.
Fact is until 4 weeks ago Burto was not getting played in first grade so prior to that he signed with someone who would guarantee he would. Also in his preferred position. And a hefty pay rise. Tick, tick, tick. Now that he’s going great suddenly the Cats want to keep him.
I’m sure Khoury is having a giggle at the suggestion the Dogs might release Burto. #ClickBaitCrap
Start winning more games that would help,our cause,but the way contracts are today,nothing would surprise me.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it true what I am hearing that he has until July to backflip?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What Fletcher does not mention is when everyone is fully fit, Burton is not in Penrith's top 17, he started the year in reserve grade. He's only been picked in first grade because of injury and suspension and is starting to show his full potential. Fletcher is seeing that and understandably wants to keep him but a kid of his quality wants to play first grade week in week out. The Panthers will find out soon how hard it is to keep a quality squad together when all of their kids start putting their hands out for more money when their contracts are up for renewal.
Yeah the noise from Penrith will go away when Ivan has to put Burton back on the bench or even reggies in a few weeks!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I bloody hope Burton's Manager comes out in the next 24 hours with a statement and puts an end to this absolute bullshit ... it pisses me off that the same people in the media who were advocating the importance of a honouring a contract have suddenly become flippant and entertaining the idea that Burton should ask for a release.
I think id prefer our club to come out and say theres no way we will release him, that would put it to bed faster

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah the noise from Penrith will go away when Ivan has to put Burton back on the bench or even reggies in a few weeks!
Can see him being forced into playing Matt now. No way Momo can get his spot back if Ivan the Terrible is serious.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think id prefer our club to come out and say theres no way we will release him, that would put it to bed faster
Lets not take a chance of inflaming the situation.
Let's remain professional and leave it to Penrith to look the silly party.

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It has to be because we are taking Naden of them and mitch kenny. Thats why penrith a shitty. Barrett is taking there players off contract and there trying to rub it in his face.
FUCK PENRITH!!!

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Fletcher is just fucking with you guys because Trent can't keep his mitts off our players. Burton may well be second guessing his decision, but he signed on the dotted line & will be with you guys next year.

Some of the reactions here are pretty funny though. The push from the Dogs to get him early was a media shit storm, one article from a staff writer about it going the other way and you are all losing your minds.

I don't know why you dont all just jump ship & become Panthers supporters. If Trent got his way in a few years your team will just be Penrith in blue & white jerseys. Kind of ironic, blue & white were our colours pre 1967.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
the way contracts are today,nothing would surprise me.
Anyone believing the Dogs will release Burton should take a deep breath and maybe have a lie down. Khoury and his board are up for re-election in Feb ‘22 - they would be signing their death warrants as the leadership group at our club if this happened. It won’t happen, it’s just media noise and the Cats salty that we snatched a future superstar from under their noses.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The arrogance and ignorance of Fletcher and the Panthers is truly astounding. How exactly is it in Burton's best interests to stay for less money, play out of his preferred position for several years and not fully reach his potential?

How dumb do the Panthers think Burton or the public are to be seriously pushing this agenda and putting such pressure on him when all he wants to do is move on and play in the halves?

I've never death ridden a club more than Penrith. They can't be happy with their never ending supply of talented juniors and 21 game winning streak. They have to carry on like entitiled fuckwits instead and it will make it all the sweeter when they choke again this year in the finals and they face serious cap issues in a year or two..

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Fletcher is just fucking with you guys because Trent can't keep his mitts off our players. Burton may well be second guessing his decision, but he signed on the dotted line & will be with you guys next year.

Some of the reactions here are pretty funny though. The push from the Dogs to get him early was a media shit storm, one article from a staff writer about it going the other way and you are all losing your minds.

I don't know why you dont all just jump ship & become Panthers supporters. If Trent got his way in a few years your team will just be Penrith in blue & white jerseys. Kind of ironic, blue & white were our colours pre 1967.
Fuck the panthers. Ill never support them cats

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can see him being forced into playing Matt now. No way Momo can get his spot back if Ivan the Terrible is serious.
Burton/Critta is simply the best combination at centre. Ivan won't care about all this talk he'll just pick his 17 to win each week.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it wouldn't be a good fit... my parents were married