Burton, Avarello

Cartel

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I would like to see Averillo under Bellamy

I get the impression that Averillo will be a hot and cold player like Mitchell Moses, goes OK against the shit teams and goes missing against the big guns

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry but Averillo still hasn't shown the slightest indication that he is going to be a mainstay in the halves.
All I see from him is speed and he hardly fools the defense with his show and go's.
Hasn't shown any football IQ that's typical of a half.

I'm not sure how he's going to magically improve when Burton gets here.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sorry but Averillo still hasn't shown the slightest indication that he is going to be a mainstay in the halves.
All I see from him is speed and he hardly fools the defense with his show and go's.

Mate naturally gifted players that play with confidence like burton, will get the very best out of avarillo, he will boost him up and his confidence will boost onto him.

Reactions: GDR

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just buy Shaun Johnson or Nico Hynes to partner Burton in the havles.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton needs a game manager alongside him. Sorry to all the fanboys, Avarillo is not the answer, he will put too much pressure on Burton to manage the game and also create points.
I don’t know what everyone sees in Avarillo, he needs to go back to nsw cup (or whatever it’s called) and develop. He is a fish out of water (as a half) in first grade.

steveng

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agree Averillo is not a dominant half, also his defensive efforts are not great, I know he needs some go forward to allow him time to get creative, but he just hasn’t made an impact like the other young halves that have debute recently.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Happy to see how Flanagan goes with a better pack and dummy half before being too rash.

However pending cap space signing someone like Shaun Johnson to be 14 to come on if Flanno doesn't fire could be a smart option. It allows us to look like we havent thrown the kid under the bus if opportunity is given.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate naturally gifted players that play with confidence like burton, will get the very best out of avarillo, he will boost him up and his confidence will boost onto him.
You could boost him with a rocket booster but i dont see how it's going to improve his skill set and vision.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton needs a game manager alongside him. Sorry to all the fanboys, Avarillo is not the answer, he will put too much pressure on Burton to manage the game and also create points.
I don’t know what everyone sees in Avarillo, he needs to go back to nsw cup (or whatever it’s called) and develop. He is a fish out of water (as a half) in first grade.
Are we sure he does need a game manager alongside him though? When he filled in for Cleary against the Storm he was playing 7 and he looked like the game manager. If Matt wants to play 7 then he probably wants to be the game manager. Since he's talking to Baz regularly the club would know what he wants and who is best suited to partner him

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Are we sure he does need a game manager alongside him though? When he filled in for Cleary against the Storm he was playing 7 and he looked like the game manager. If Matt wants to play 7 then he probably wants to be the game manager. Since he's talking to Baz regularly the club would know what he wants and who is best suited to partner him
They aren't sure, they're just guessing.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apart from the lat 15-20min, which yes is the most important when ahead by 4, I thought our kicking game was close to or the best this year. Jake seriously needs some training in icing a game, I cannot believe not one coach in his entire junior or lower grade senior career ever thought to each him this. Surely anyone that played halves before FG should know how to do this...execution may be off for a young kid sure, but he should at least know how.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Agree. Should have got Reynolds lol. Or benji, or SJ, just for a year or 2 , be good for the rebuild with who we have coming next year.!!

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think the plan was Flanno 7 and Burton 6........

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happy to see how Flanagan goes with a better pack and dummy half before being too rash.

However pending cap space signing someone like Shaun Johnson to be 14 to come on if Flanno doesn't fire could be a smart option. It allows us to look like we havent thrown the kid under the bus if opportunity is given.
Imagine we were smart enough to do that this year with benji???? Typically our club fucked up big time with that

Malla

Reaction score
Game manager is a little bit of an overused term.

Really we just need them to execute at the end of sets whether it be long kick, short kicking game, repeat sets etc.

The positive about having both Avo and Burton in the halves is both are runners, have an attacking running game. Flanno doesn't have that, easier to neutralize him. Avo needs to obviously work on his kicking game, few other components of being a good half, but I was impressed. Hope he backs it up next week..

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry to be a nitpicker man, but you have misspelt his name twice and DIFFERENTLY ballsed it up it's a bit annoying when we can't spell their names right ..to me anyway.

AVERILLO, Jake