News Bulldogs young gun Jake Averillo front-runner for new starting spot

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“He is the big name that I think will have a big year in first grade.”

Canterbury fans have plenty to be excited about as the 2021 season approaches, with several new names already training the house down at Belmore while Josh Addo-Carr and Matt Burton will join at the season’s conclusion.

While plenty of the pre-season focus will be paid to the likes of Nick Cotric, Corey Allan, Jack Hetherington and Kyle Flanagan, the latter has revealed one young gun is making his mark at training in preparation for the new season.
Flanagan moved to Canterbury after falling out-of-favour at the Roosters despite scoring the third most points in the NRL last year, with the 22-year-old destined to take on a full-time starting role under Trent Barrett in the halves.

Speaking to The Scope Podcast, Flanagan stated his excitement in who he will partner up with at Belmore, with 20-year-old Jake Averillo impressing the former Chooks half.

“Everyone has been having a go there at six, and everyone is a bit different,” he said.

“I will give a shout-out to Jake Averillo, he has been going quite good.
“He is a runner, he’s got X-factor about him and there is something special about him. He is the big name that I think will have a big year in first grade.

“He would be a good chance if I was a punter.”

Averillo signed a new contract with the Bulldogs last year, keeping him at the club until the end of the 2023 season.

The exciting youngster made his debut for the Bulldogs in Round 2 last year and went on to play 13 matches for Canterbury, showing plenty of promise from either the centres, five-eighth, wing or off the bench.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As a huge fan of this kid, I am insanely worried about his future prospects at our club. I am worried he's gonna get "Mbyed" - reverse-pigeonholed into various positions, with nothing ever really nailed down.

If he starts at 6 this year (granted, if we don't get Burton) - then what happens in 2022? We've signed Allan, and by all accounts, he's our #1 for the next 3 years. So then does he start a 6 this year, and move to Hopas' expected vacant centre position come 2022? Wasted talent if so.

This kid is a 1 or a 6 - he needs his hands on the ball.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
As a huge fan of this kid, I am insanely worried about his future prospects at our club. I am worried he's gonna get "Mbyed" - reverse-pigeonholed into various positions, with nothing ever really nailed down.

If he starts at 6 this year (granted, if we don't get Burton) - then what happens in 2022? We've signed Allan, and by all accounts, he's our #1 for the next 3 years. So then does he start a 6 this year, and move to Hopas' expected vacant centre position come 2022? Wasted talent if so.

The ball is in Jake's court if he performs this year he will force Tbaz's hand to pick him. He has a huge opportunity and he has the talent to make the most of it.

At this point it's probably better to focus on this season and at the very least he saves us from a year of Lewis.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

He will play well at 6 this year, will be demoted when Burton arrives. Then he will play 1 more year with us in various positions before moving on to another club like the Cowboys to play 6. Just the way I see it playing out, he's not really an ideal option at centre tbh.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

I think the plan was always to have Jake at fullback, obviously he's struggling with certain aspects of it and the coaching team have decided against playing him there for now and recruited Allan. Jake may still end up at fullback, probably something they will evaluate at seasons end.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Given the increasing speed of the game, and on the assumption that Averillo goes well at 6, playing Burton at lock wouldnt be a problem.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's most likely to start at 5/8th but wherever he plays I hope they're patient with him and don't chop and change his position or role too much as it could hinder his development.

Hopefully he gets off to a good start with Flanagan in the halves and Barrett gets the best out of him as he's the most exciting junior we've had for a while.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The ball is in Jake's court if he performs this year he will force Tbaz's hand to pick him. He has a huge opportunity and he has the talent to make the most of it.

At this point it's probably better to focus on this season and at the very least he saves us from a year of Lewis.
Agreed

And we cant keep gambling on these kids coming through. Thats why we've bought these players in.

If he makes it i'd rather have the problem of how do we fit them in than having shit ***** or younger players who havent proven themselves (they all need 50 games remember) guaranteed starting and continually losing.

A very delicate balance to get it right.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He's most likely to start at 5/8th but wherever he plays I hope they're patient with him and don't chop and change his position or role too much as it could hinder his development.

Hopefully he gets off to a good start with Flanagan in the halves and Barrett gets the best out of him as he's the most exciting junior we've had for a while.
Agree , if he plays as a “running “ 5/8 that will take the pressure of him to just play his natural game.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score

I wouldn't worry about it. Melbourne have shown how it's done stockpiling talent in spine positions. It will sort itself out.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depending on how they all go he might shift Allen to centre With Burton at 5/8 and Avo at fullback for next season but let’s all worry about this season first whatever it is exciting times ahead
Exactly what I reckon will happen.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Baz was part of coaching team last year that reaped alot of wins.
At the end of the day, thats what matters.
If Avo does end up playing 5/8 and kills it there this year then I think Baz would be hard pressed to move him.
Then there is the possibility of injuries to players along the way.
Trying to determine what will happen in 12 months time seems a bit pointless I reckon.

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Now that gets me excited!!!
I don’t understand the concern for Averillo. He will get his opportunity this year and if he does well then i expect the pressure will be on Flanagan to make himself the better option at halfback. Flanagan is an astute signing for us but he is no world beater yet and it is yet to be seen if he is better than Jake for the team.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand the concern for Averillo. He will get his opportunity this year and if he does well then i expect the pressure will be on Flanagan to make himself the better option at halfback. Flanagan is an astute signing for us but he is no world beater yet and it is yet to be seen if he is better than Jake for the team.
I think it’s actually a great position to be in! We are either left with a choice between 2 good players if Averillo fires once Burton arrives or we find out that Averillo isn’t up to it. It’s such an improvement from the last few years polishing turds hoping that they become NRL players.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lewis has the longest last tackle and drop out kicks, its something the others will have to work on.