Bulldogs wanting to medically retire Eastwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have no real reason to do so now. We are cap compliant. Also Pay would have settled the shortlist for all positions for next year by now, and i dont know who we drop to accomodate anyone else new for next year. Unless its a like for like changeover. Meaning Eastwood is medically retired, and with his money we get another forward to replace him. Not sure who we can get this late in the peace though.

Eastwood has been a great player for us over time. But he was below his best last year and now shows up to have a dodgy ticker. As much as i would like to see him at his best under Pay, i would worry if he takes a big hit or 50. Would't it be dangerous? Also the rigour of playing alone would make his heart work overtime. None of it can be good if he has heart issues can it? Anyone else have the same condition and think they could play FG NRL with it?
We may be cap compliant but freeing up a large chunk of cash his year means we could potentially front load a couple of contracted players and leave more in the bank for 2018’s spending spree

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Vs penrith in the 2004 qualifying final was unbelievable also.... it just had something in the air that night where all dogs supporters knew it was our time... walked side by side out of SFS chanting bring on the roosters with about 2000 bulldog fans, funny thing was roosters still had to play cowboys to get in the GF
watched that game in 04 on tv as a young 12 year old, very entertaining game that one. Actually enjoyed alot of our games v Panthers in those days, especially our anniversary one where Jamal Lolesi carved up.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good points.
I dont have the same issue but i did have a heart attack playing soccer 6 years ago and i can tell you it is not fun and becomes not only a physical challenge but a massive mental one and thats where i see the issues for Beast.
I could not imagine playing park footy with a diagnosed heart issue let alone first grade in 2018 and beyond, but these guys can be superhuman it seems.
I think its a matter of Beast thinking over Christmas and deciding if he is keen to play on knowing one good solid blow to his body could shock his heart and risk his life, its dramatic but true...when you dont know about it you dont have to worry but now he knows i think his head will play tricks with him until he decides, the he has to pass the fitness side which may be another big battle.
All the best Beastie, family comes first.
Totally agree at his age and having achieved so much so not worth the risk

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Totally agree at his age and having achieved so much so not worth the risk
This to me is the big point. It’s not like he’s a young kid having his dream taken away. He has been an international level player for a long time. He has made a good wicket no doubt. This would be his last 12 months with us either way. There is no way in the world in my head it’s worth the risk for his heart especially considering he will be medically covered for insurance pay out one would have to be certain of that I believe.

I get the competitive nature and the desire to go out on his terms. Though he’s had an outstanding career and the last 12 months in my head is not worth the risk of anything effecting his future with kids etc.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You forgot...

2012 was handed to him on a platter, he had nothing to do with the roster that was assembled that year.
2013 was am abysmal, inconsistent year, where we got knocked out week 1 of the finals. This was Des's first full year in charge if you take into account the entire pre-season/off-season.
2014 was another disaster of a year where we were very lucky to makes the grand final, after finishing 7th on the ladder
2015 was a shit house year again, where we struggled to beat an injury-ravaged Dragons team in week 1 of the finals before being beaten by Brisbane
2016 was a wash, rinse, repeat of 2015, even though we have a chance for a top 4 finish, we struggled and lost 4 games in a row to end a very poor season
2017 was an even shitter year than 2016.
Got that spot on brother

2018 was jobless hahaha

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You forgot...

2012 was handed to him on a platter, he had nothing to do with the roster that was assembled that year.
2013 was am abysmal, inconsistent year, where we got knocked out week 1 of the finals. This was Des's first full year in charge if you take into account the entire pre-season/off-season.
2014 was another disaster of a year where we were very lucky to makes the grand final, after finishing 7th on the ladder
2015 was a shit house year again, where we struggled to beat an injury-ravaged Dragons team in week 1 of the finals before being beaten by Brisbane
2016 was a wash, rinse, repeat of 2015, even though we have a chance for a top 4 finish, we struggled and lost 4 games in a row to end a very poor season
2017 was an even shitter year than 2016.
But we made the final every year :p and only Hasler and Bellamy did it (until Bellamy won 2 premierships in the same period) haha.

Totally agree. The guy was a hack and when he took control of the club the results went south. It’s all good to say he made a gf in 12. And he did get some decent pick ups that year (perrett and Inu). But the reality is every other year he failed to use the cap to strengthen the team, results went backwards and he didn’t coach the team to the top 4 again.

Was a mistake to even talk about a contract extension this season let alone offer him 2 more years in April. One of the worst decisions in the history of the Nrl (even worse then knights offering hokko 650k). Funny the 2 people responsible never copped any media criticism from one. One is still at the club the other runs the aru...

On Eastwood. Hasler never let him play his game. He should have been a lock. He had a lock on the edge and a prop at lock, a centre/fullback at halfback and a winger at fullback. Every team selection was borderline ridiculous and the results show. Eastwood should have crunched players running in the middle of the field with his defence, he was caught out playing on the edge. But lining up alongside graham, Lichaa and tolman would have not only made us a better team but would have made him a better player.

To coach a player not to offload is another idiocy. He had too much attention on completion rates which is fair enough if you complete 80%+ and you win games. But not when you drop so much ball and never even test the defence or get a repeat set.

Fact of the matter is any other coach (I literally mean any) smith, Mary, sheens, kidwell etc would have had better results in that period. It should have been a golden period for us. But at the end we have nothing to show for it. And it even comes down to the clubs managment for not pulling Hasler in line sooner, for not questioning his results. But what do they do they offer him a contract, sorry a MOU in April after 3 losses and a win. And say his track record speaks for itself.

Finishing 6-8 isn’t something that should be trumpeted as a good track record....

Whoops got a bit carried away there

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
But we made the final every year :p and only Hasler and Bellamy did it (until Bellamy won 2 premierships in the same period) haha.

Totally agree. The guy was a hack and when he took control of the club the results went south. It’s all good to say he made a gf in 12. And he did get some decent pick ups that year (perrett and Inu). But the reality is every other year he failed to use the cap to strengthen the team, results went backwards and he didn’t coach the team to the top 4 again.

Was a mistake to even talk about a contract extension this season let alone offer him 2 more years in April. One of the worst decisions in the history of the Nrl (even worse then knights offering hokko 650k). Funny the 2 people responsible never copped any media criticism from one. One is still at the club the other runs the aru...

On Eastwood. Hasler never let him play his game. He should have been a lock. He had a lock on the edge and a prop at lock, a centre/fullback at halfback and a winger at fullback. Every team selection was borderline ridiculous and the results show. Eastwood should have crunched players running in the middle of the field with his defence, he was caught out playing on the edge. But lining up alongside graham, Lichaa and tolman would have not only made us a better team but would have made him a better player.

To coach a player not to offload is another idiocy. He had too much attention on completion rates which is fair enough if you complete 80%+ and you win games. But not when you drop so much ball and never even test the defence or get a repeat set.

Fact of the matter is any other coach (I literally mean any) smith, Mary, sheens, kidwell etc would have had better results in that period. It should have been a golden period for us. But at the end we have nothing to show for it. And it even comes down to the clubs managment for not pulling Hasler in line sooner, for not questioning his results. But what do they do they offer him a contract, sorry a MOU in April after 3 losses and a win. And say his track record speaks for itself.

Finishing 6-8 isn’t something that should be trumpeted as a good track record....

Whoops got a bit carried away there
And to coach a running hooker to not to run- suicide

Reactions: DT

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Vs penrith in the 2004 qualifying final was unbelievable also.... it just had something in the air that night where all dogs supporters knew it was our time... walked side by side out of SFS chanting bring on the roosters with about 2000 bulldog fans, funny thing was roosters still had to play cowboys to get in the GF
That game, and the tigers game where O'Meley knocked the cat Gibbs out, were my favourite games of 2004.

Oh, and when we smacked the roosters 40-12

Last edited:

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What is it that des did anything right.
The reason no club will offer him a job is because as an nrl coach being radical doesn't hide the fact he actually knows nothing. He failed here on every aspect and basic fundamentals of the game.
He bluffed his way as a mastercoach from a blessed manly roster..
That's my vent for the day :grinning:
Des Hasler certainly lost his ways but his record cannot be argued

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And to coach a running hooker to not to run- suicide
Exactly, and to make it even worse Hasler signed him knowing his game, then proceeded to almost ruin his career with a idiotic game plan.

Good thing is that Lichaa can pull off 40 tackles a game no problem, but thing is if he does that and runs he is gone in the 70th min so we will need a sub (maybe nu) to come on and give him a short break.

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Des Hasler certainly lost his ways but his record cannot be argued
U know- it can... I reckon anybody would be nervous touching him.

He ‘s last 3 yrs were a catastrophe and his tactics and selections speaks for itself.

Thanks goodness he is gone

Reactions: DT

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
U know- it can... I reckon anybody would be nervous touching him.

He ‘s last 3 yrs were a catastrophe and his tactics and selections speaks for itself.

Thanks goodness he is gone
Exactly.
When a good player comes on the market, there's a fremzy. Same goes for a good coach coming off contract .
Hasler hasn't even created a bleep. I'm not aware or heard of one club that has shown interest after the dogs unleashed him.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly.
When a good player comes on the market, there's a fremzy. Same goes for a good coach coming off contract .
Hasler hasn't even created a bleep. I'm not aware or heard of one club that has shown interest after the dogs unleashed him.
Haslers coaching was as toxic as the environment he created for players...he is poison and i highly doubt will ever coach first grade again, certainly not a high profile club anyway...

He robbed us for 6 years

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
He will pick up a gig coaching an English SL side. He just waiting for his legal dramas with our club to be finalised.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He will pick up a gig coaching an English SL side. He just waiting for his legal dramas with our club to be finalised.
Probably, but i hope they work him out quickly unlike us

Status
Not open for further replies.