Bulldogs want compo for Ben Hannant

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoGs_R_dA_BeSt™

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
BULLDOGS boss Todd Greenberg yesterday declared he would want compensation if a deal was struck to return Ben Hannant home to the Gold Coast.

As Titans managing director Michael Searle prepares to begin talks with the Canterbury and Queensland prop this week, Greenberg said the Bulldogs would not be letting Hannant leave simply out of the goodness of their hearts.

"If we are going to release a player who is currently under contract, we are going to want something in return," Greenberg said.

"In simple terms, that is a player swap of some sorts. To be fair, at the moment it is not like we have got a name or two or three on our list.

"I don't yet have a feel for who is on contract, who is off contract, who would want to look at Sydney and those sorts of questions.

"That is probably a discussion I am going to have to have with whichever club in the end is considering making him an offer."

The Titans are the favourites to sign Hannant after the Brisbane Broncos withdrew their interest at the weekend.

The Gold Coast-product, who was named Dally M prop of the year last season, has told the Bulldogs he wishes to return home with his wife and three young children to be closer to family.

First Hannant, who is a little more than one season into a three-year deal with Canterbury, must secure an early release.

Greenberg said Hannant did not have any type of "get-out" clause in his contract and as such, his desire to return home hinged on a player trade.

"I think we are being fair and reasonable to say that to provide a release for a player, who is obviously a current Kangaroo and Origin player, there would need to be something in return," he said.

Greenberg hinted he wanted two players in return for Hannant, whether that is two emerging talents, or one youngster and an established first grader.

Senior Titans Luke Bailey and Mark Minichiello are two players who have already been tossed up by the rumour mill.

But Greenberg said just because the Bulldogs looked like losing a prop didn't mean they were necessarily chasing a front-rower.

The Bulldogs are also hunting a long-term replacement for veteran playmaker Brett Kimmorley, so could turn their attention to someone such as highly-touted teenage Titans pivot Jordan Rankin.

Star under-20s back-rower Dom Walsh, who was born in Sydney, could also come into the cross-hairs as the club looks ahead to life after skipper Andrew Ryan.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225844017334

Last edited by a moderator:

bulldogs27

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure a player swap is the way to go.
We still need to see Ben play a disciplined,
aggressive performances, ones that earned him numerous
accolades in 2009.
Was passing the footy with some local
Norths Devils Juniors yesterday, a good bunch of kids.
They've told me of good players in their
Youth Academy.
I think Ben should honour his contract with
The Bulldogs / or we should be seeking monetary
compensation similar to SBW offer.

S

Shermy

Walsh is a Souths Junior.
He often dominated in the Souths ranks and was rated ahead of Pettybourne.

At the time he left he went for family reasons too as well as the GC lifestyle - i dont know why he would comeback.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
bottom line: in effect, the hannant situation is not that much diff from the mason/sbw affairs.... He's leaving just cos he doesn't wanna be here. Fact: SBW had to walk out like that. Do you think that he would have allowed to go just like hannant is being allowed to go? Of course he wouldn't be able to do that! So he had to pack his bags. And Mason... well his relationship with folkesy was becoming poisonous. Of course he had to go... All three have not honored their contracts, but only willie and SBW have won premierships for the club....

(i'm loyal to our grand final winners and will always be grateful to them. Poor management was cause of their discontent... management don't win comps, players do)

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont want to hear about him anymore.
I thought the decision had been made that a swap if any would be done at the end of the season?
If that is the case then everyone should shut up and concentrate on the game, If not it should be the case

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
I hope Greenberg is wearing a neck brace

Mr Patwa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
the good thing about this article is in the following lines

The Bulldogs are also hunting a long-term replacement for veteran playmaker Brett Kimmorley, so could turn their attention to someone such as highly-touted teenage Titans pivot Jordan Rankin.

Star under-20s back-rower Dom Walsh, who was born in Sydney, could also come into the cross-hairs as the club looks ahead to life after skipper Andrew Ryan.

------------

Andrew Ryan seems to be gone for sure next year and so does BK... i respect these players but its the right time to move forward with some young players

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont want another up and coming young player. I want a someone who has a year or so first grade experience and is a f*cking rep player ffs.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Mark Minichello would be a good trade TBH, Bulldogs need a good strong backrower, Ryan and Warubuton are average at best. Mini is better than both of them easily.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Minichello would add some bite to the Dogs. Interesting to contemplate.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Mini was finalising a new 4 year deal with Titans. He wont come, Laffranchi might.. but he was investigated for rape. How does that fit in with THE POLICY

luke

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mini was finalising a new 4 year deal with Titans. He wont come, Laffranchi might.. but he was investigated for rape. How does that fit in with THE POLICY
if i were the titans there is no way i'd swap laffranchi for hannant

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
bottom line: in effect, the hannant situation is not that much diff from the mason/sbw affairs.... He's leaving just cos he doesn't wanna be here. Fact: SBW had to walk out like that. Do you think that he would have allowed to go just like hannant is being allowed to go? Of course he wouldn't be able to do that! So he had to pack his bags. And Mason... well his relationship with folkesy was becoming poisonous. Of course he had to go... All three have not honored their contracts, but only willie and SBW have won premierships for the club....

(i'm loyal to our grand final winners and will always be grateful to them. Poor management was cause of their discontent... management don't win comps, players do)
please don't compare the SBW incident with hannants

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not to pleased with Bailey and Minichiello trade =( IF it is true. I guess Minichiello is a better than Warburton and Ryan atm....

Last edited by a moderator:

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Whatever happens - no trade will make up for the loss of Ben Hannant.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah Hannant did an excellent job for us last year and good role model and media friendly... Tbh I am still disapointed in him.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah Hannant did an excellent job for us last year and good role model and media friendly... Tbh I am still disapointed in him.
Hate to say it but I've lost all my respect for him.

The sooner he leaves this club the sooner I'll feel more comfortable supporting it. I don't really care if he's busting his arse off for us or wearing our colours. He's made his decision and I don't think his excuse is justified at all.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I agree and thats why all these trade threads suck.

Unless they give us Prince which is no chance at all, then we get no benefit in a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.