Official Bulldogs vs Sharks Pre-season Challenge - Team List and Game Discussion Thread.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A whole preseason with a new coaching staff and the one person who needed to address serious technical and communication deficiencies in their game has achieved nothing. Nada. Zip. ничего

Barrett 2.0

Separately, Averillo has spent the second season in a row training in a new position only to show he doesn't have what's needed.
The reason centre is such a difficult position is because of the need to put your body on the line against the opposition's strongest runners.
This is #1 requirement for a centre. If you don't have it. Then you can't play centre.
So who thought Averillo in centre was a good idea? It's actually why he was put at halfback and then fullback....

What a farce. Barrett 2.0
Its way to early to say anything tbh rather I will question the shit out of playing 2 weak inexperienced centres when you have 4 more experienced and stronger backs to choose from. Damn it Skelton and Casey or even Burns would hold their own against most centres.

Also throwing Perham in instead of looking for a FT experienced FB or persisting with the incumbent in Avo will also be questionable.

lets just hope if it does fail he isnt as stubborn as Tballz in making changes.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sadly I now think we'll be lucky to make the 8, yes I know it was only a trial game but let's look at the facts.
1. Half our spine is reserve grade standard, I'm fairly confident both Flanagan and Perham would feature last out of all 17 teams in their respective positions.
2. There will be ongoing highs and lows with Matt Burton at 5/8 as he is still young and learning the position. (Doesn't help when all the attacking pressure is all on his shoulders due to the 7 being incapable)
3. Averillo is the next Mbye, he doesn't fit or dominate any position and the only reason he's in the team seems to be his versatility, he showed some glimpses at fullback last year even though he was afraid of the ball and the opposition (still is), if he wasn't going to start the year at 1 then he should be in reserve grade. 90% of the fan base can see he's out of his depth now its time for the coaching staff to realise this.
4. Edge defence is a big issue, and unless they start working together it won't change.
5. Alamoti - I get that we are trying to hide his defensive issues however none of the backline are great defensively. The kid dominated the lower grades at right centre but we are hell bent on playing him on the left.
6. RFM should be a bench forward, playing less minutes and being able to come on at both edge or middle when needed. Its Time for some youth and energy, I think both Preston and Topine are better options moving forward.
7. The forwards need some aggression and they need to hunt like a pack, as others pointed out the Bulldogs of old would have fu#ked that sharks winger up.
Burton has played 5/8 for most of his life.

Alamoti is playing left center so he can slot in between Kiks and Fox to help him defensively i assume. Also Alverillo has a right foot step and carry hence playing on the right. He mentioned in an interview that CC said to him you are not a fullback you are a left center.

Last edited:

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its way to early to say anything tbh rather I will question the shit out of playing 2 weak inexperienced centres when you have 4 more experienced and stronger backs to choose from. Damn it Skelton and Casey or even Burns would hold their own against most centres.

Also throwing Perham in instead of looking for a FT experienced FB or persisting with the incumbent in Avo will also be questionable.

lets just hope if it does fail he isnt as stubborn as Tballz in making changes.
Perham is baffling for sure ... been nothing but a journeyman thus far.

Before the trials i had no clue personally as to who would be in the centers ... toss of a coin.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sharks were shit when fitzgibbon came in
I don't like comparing us to other teams as things are vastly different.

Look. We don't know what CC encountered when he first saw the boys. It's possible he was shocked at the overall fitness and technical ability of the players?

Change, proper positive change, takes time and patience. If people want to get into fairy land that we should be performing at a top 4 level or whatever, then ok.

For me I'm just hoping to be a lot more competitive and start being consistent with our performaces. Anything better us a cheery on top

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like comparing us to other teams as things are vastly different.

Look. We don't know what CC encountered when he first saw the boys. It's possible he was shocked at the overall fitness and technical ability of the players?

Change, proper positive change, takes time and patience. If people want to get into fairy land that we should be performing at a top 4 level or whatever, then ok.

For me I'm just hoping to be a lot more competitive and start being consistent with our performaces. Anything better us a cheery on top
Well said mate ... very astute.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well said mate ... very astute.
Look. I don't claim to know what's going on behind closed doors, but people are rushing too much to make conclusions.

We need time. We do. And the coach, players, and everyone at the club deserves time to demonstrate that we're on the right path.

A trial game isn't a good yardstick for anything. Never has been.

Let's see where we are after the first 8 rounds and go from there. You know as well as I do, change takes time. IF we were suddenly worldbeaters overnight then I'd be worried tbh as it wouldn't have been earnt and I'd be concerned it wasn't realistic.

I prefer to see continued improvement. Building up and up. Stregthens the resolve.

We'll get there. We just need to be patient.

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perham is baffling for sure ... been nothing but a journeyman thus far.

Before the trials i had no clue personally as to who would be in the centers ... toss of a coin.
He is just a place holder for Crichton.

I don’t know why during last year JAC wasn’t given a crack.
JAC would be now worse. But he has real speed and a threat on kick return.

Perham was terrible but then again in the Panthers game so was Crichton.
Maybe FB takes time to adjust- much more than we think

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
First trial was good, second trial was disappointing - the period ten minutes either side of half time was most disappointing.

Overall better than the two trials last year.

The kennel videos are a step forward but the website continues to be annoyingly unprofessional.

Personally i dont like the "compulsory fun" type team building, short term feel good stuff, a mate more than a coach vibe - however in the two trials i would say that Thompson Alamoti, Okunbor Ryan Gray Tanner Burns Skelton Pele have improved a fair bit. Hopefully once Patolo Sam Hughes Casey and TPJ get on the field they too will have improved a lot.

Moving on Schoupp and particularly Allan were positives but the later recruitments of Perham Brown Reynolds (similar positions n standard) into the top 30 hopefully are not panic decisions.

Still two middles short imho - and if the mandatory concussion stand down rule is applied we may end up with Waddell Davey as starting front rowers.

Flanagan was average in first trial and woeful in the second - nothing to suggest he has any attacking ability apart from backing up - Brown seemed to show more authority n leadership of the players when he was in the halves.

Brandon Clark - seems to be destined for reggies despite a top 30 contract.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look. I don't claim to know what's going on behind closed doors, but people are rushing too much to make conclusions.

We need time. We do. And the coach, players, and everyone at the club deserves time to demonstrate that we're on the right path.

A trial game isn't a good yardstick for anything. Never has been.

Let's see where we are after the first 8 rounds and go from there. You know as well as I do, change takes time. IF we were suddenly worldbeaters overnight then I'd be worried tbh as it wouldn't have been earnt and I'd be concerned it wasn't realistic.

I prefer to see continued improvement. Building up and up. Stregthens the resolve.

We'll get there. We just need to be patient.
Don't lie mate .... you know a lot of what is going on behind the scenes.:smirk:

Joelmcevoy2

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah signing gone quiet cause we probably havent got money left til 2024 now

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First trial was good, second trial was disappointing - the period ten minutes either side of half time was most disappointing.

Overall better than the two trials last year.

The kennel videos are a step forward but the website continues to be annoyingly unprofessional.

Personally i dont like the "compulsory fun" type team building, short term feel good stuff, a mate more than a coach vibe - however in the two trials i would say that Thompson Alamoti, Okunbor Ryan Gray Tanner Burns Skelton Pele have improved a fair bit. Hopefully once Patolo Sam Hughes Casey and TPJ get on the field they too will have improved a lot.

Moving on Schoupp and particularly Allan were positives but the later recruitments of Perham Brown Reynolds (similar positions n standard) into the top 30 hopefully are not panic decisions.

Still two middles short imho - and if the mandatory concussion stand down rule is applied we may end up with Waddell Davey as starting front rowers.

Flanagan was average in first trial and woeful in the second - nothing to suggest he has any attacking ability apart from backing up - Brown seemed to show more authority n leadership of the players when he was in the halves.

Brandon Clark - seems to be destined for reggies despite a top 30 contract.
Not sure what the hell is going on with Clarke.

Every time i see him he is very impressive, but he hardly ever plays and Gray appears to be ahead of him ... baffling.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the hell is going on with Clarke.

Every time i see him he is very impressive, but he hardly ever plays and Gray appears to be ahead of him ... baffling.
I m of the opinion it is his defence - when iv seen him play he has generally tackled around the legs - 40 years ago would have been great - now legs tackling is a last resort defence - results in quick play the balls, or off loads - defence is more about catching n holding rather than tackling. Attacks well

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I m of the opinion it is his defence - when iv seen him play he has generally tackled around the legs - 40 years ago would have been great - now legs tackling is a last resort defence - results in quick play the balls, or off loads - defence is more about catching n holding rather than tackling. Attacks well
I think you may be right .... although he topples them over like oak trees. His technique is almost too pure for today's game.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you may be right .... although he topples them over like oak trees. His technique is almost too pure for today's game.
Lachlan Lewis had great technique when players ran straight at him, regardless of size BUT teams worked out the quick play the ball/ offload and speed actually made him a defensive liability despite the technique.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Lachlan Lewis had great technique when players ran straight at him, regardless of size BUT teams worked out the quick play the ball/ offload and speed actually made him a defensive liability despite the technique.
Where are the other 2 in the tackle? Why are they tackling solo? There should be 3 in every tackle, 1 x low, 1 x around the ball and 1 x to lock up the arms. Then peel off one by one, slowing the play the ball down, the last one to marker, the second last one behind the marker and the first one off then has time to get back in the defensive line.

The problem is not them tackling low, it's that the other 2 were too slow getting there or didn't even try.

Always a Bulldog

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where are the other 2 in the tackle? Why are they tackling solo? There should be 3 in every tackle, 1 x low, 1 x around the ball and 1 x to lock up the arms. Then peel off one by one, slowing the play the ball down, the last one to marker, the second last one behind the marker and the first one off then has time to get back in the defensive line.

The problem is not them tackling low, it's that the other 2 were too slow getting there or didn't even try.

Always a Bulldog
You are correct to a degree but first contact now needs to be catching the player - to stop the player and ball movement and give the other defenders opportunity to join the tackle, drive backwards n wrestle to the ground etc. When the initial tackle is a legs tackle thats much harder to do - split second timing in it.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Middles are still a massive concern, At best we have a serviceable rotation and at worst we have probably the bottom go-forward this year

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Middles are still a massive concern, At best we have a serviceable rotation and at worst we have probably the bottom go-forward this year
Yep our post contact metres were horrible on Sunday and I think we ranked last in that area in 2022 as well.

I would imagine it’s a hard thing to teach blokes. You either run like a cat or you don’t

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me make sure that I have this right...................................

You believe that CC and the rest of the Coaching Staff haven't watched any games live and/or video of Waddell playing last season. Didn't watch last weekend's trail game. Didn't review it minute by minute, on repeat, watching every players actions while they were on the field. Don't take any input whatsoever from the other players. That Gould doesn't let CC know his thoughts on how players are going.

You truly believe that they ONLY base their team selections on what happens at training.

FMD, you must have very low opinion of CC, the Coaching Staff and Gould.

Always a Bulldog
Well then you explain to me genius a valid reason why waddel is in this team? He hasn't played a single good game in 2 years yet he's in fg every week