Official Bulldogs vs Raiders Pre-season Challenge - Team List and Game Discussion Thread.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Imo peles fitness is about the the quick repeat effort. Getting into position after a run or a tackle. Sometimes it is an attitude thing, sometimes an awareness thing sometimes a fitness thing. Tend to notice players with similar issues when at games rather than on tv cameras that follow the ball.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thing that's always amused me with Blocky is his quincy voice for such a big imposing bastard lol
But i agree he is ok, there are far bigger dickheads on Fox than him.Parker, Anasta, Alexander thats 3 names without thinking about it much.
Ennis too he can be annoying/over the top..regularly
Blocka respects us form yesturyear. He loves the hard stuff.

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The backs/fullbacks shortage is well and truly solved for 2024 with Crighton and Xerri. As for middles I'm not convinced that there is a problem, especially after yesterday. King and Thompson were very effective (80 mtres each & 35 and 28 post contact), Sutton was impressive for a first hit out, Pele was certainly impactful (119 metres & 60 post contact) and we have TPJ to make an appearance next week. Not sighted Hughes or Patolo yet.

Always a Bulldog
Yes 24 different story , was referring to this year . We lack a lock forward that has ball playing ability we have not plugged that hole in yet . All those forwards are traditional old school middles .

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah much safer having him there.

Another plus foe him is looks like he's going to get a ton of ball because it hardly went down Avos side yesterday lol.
I was fuming about that. Probably why Kiraz was overplaying his hand with those early set carries, was frustrated the ball wasn't going anywhere near them all game.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was fuming about that. Probably why Kiraz was overplaying his hand with those early set carries, was frustrated the ball wasn't going anywhere near them all game.
Averillo and that whole right side didn't get many touches but Averillo seems to have put on a bit of size since last year. He backed up well the few times we made breaks down that side. If he adds physicality to go with his acceleration and athleticism then he'll have a good year.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanno only played 40 minutes and managed to get trapped with the ball about 4 times, did some dysfunctional kicks and couldn't pass to the players on the right hand side of the field (you know that area where he's played the last seasons and supposedly trained there all pre seaon)

The only good things he did were right over on the left passing back to the left.

Not overly impressed by his game, sure he did a few good things but his usual was still very much there.

In saying that I love the bloke cause he's pulled on our jumper and is part of club, I just don't think his game sense has developed to much from last year and believe there are better options in the 30 ATM.

daisy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
we went ok I’m not getting to excited yet all the trials on the weekend were 2nd grade trials with a couple of nrl players thrown in this weeks trial against the sharks will be a better indication

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Flanno only played 40 minutes and managed to get trapped with the ball about 4 times, did some dysfunctional kicks and couldn't pass to the players on the right hand side of the field (you know that area where he's played the last seasons and supposedly trained there all pre seaon)

The only good things he did were right over on the left passing back to the left.

Not overly impressed by his game, sure he did a few good things but his usual was still very much there.

In saying that I love the bloke cause he's pulled on our jumper and is part of club, I just don't think his game sense has developed to much from last year and believe there are better options in the 30 ATM.
WTF, "trapped with the ball", talk about confusing, people whinging about Flanagan not running the ball, then people whinging because he runs the ball and gets tackled. FMD that happens often when you run the ball, when anyone runs the ball.

His kicking was pretty good, aside from the speculator at half time I saw nothing wrong with any of his kicks. He was 1 of 3 kickers, Reynolds, Mahoney and him. When Burton plays he will do pretty much the same amount of kicking with the same amount of distance required.

Game sense wise, FMD (again) he had enough "game sense" to set up the Okunbor try, that wasn't on until he set it up with a spot on cut out pass (they have to be good for Okunbor to catch them). He was the one backing up to receive the late offload from Kiraz that lead to the Averillo break and was also the one backing Averillo up and possibly would have scored if Averillo didn't get ankle tapped. Flanagan also ran the block play (that Mahony dummied to) that drew the defence for the Sutton barge over. For the Thompson knockers it was his fast play the ball that made that play possible.

Always a Bulldog

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
WTF, "trapped with the ball", talk about confusing, people whinging about Flanagan not running the ball, then people whinging because he runs the ball and gets tackled. FMD that happens often when you run the ball, when anyone runs the ball.

His kicking was pretty good, aside from the speculator at half time I saw nothing wrong with any of his kicks. He was 1 of 3 kickers, Reynolds, Mahoney and him. When Burton plays he will do pretty much the same amount of kicking with the same amount of distance required.

Game sense wise, FMD (again) he had enough "game sense" to set up the Okunbor try, that wasn't on until he set it up with a spot on cut out pass (they have to be good for Okunbor to catch them). He was the one backing up to receive the late offload from Kiraz that lead to the Averillo break and was also the one backing Averillo up and possibly would have scored if Averillo didn't get ankle tapped. Flanagan also ran the block play (that Mahony dummied to) that drew the defence for the Sutton barge over. For the Thompson knockers it was his fast play the ball that made that play possible.

Always a Bulldog
He is very good as a link player when breaks are made - is consistently in position.

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
I’m with you here mate. Cannot for the life of me figure out what people are so upset about. He runs the ball, he gets trapped with it. He passes, doesn’t create anything.
For comparison, Reynolds had 2 runs for about 8 meters and got just as, if not more smashed than Flanagan, and Josh is the ball runner.
Can Flanagan be better? Fuck yeah. Could the rest of the team? Bloody oath. It’s their first fucking hit out in a new spine, with a new coach, trying new structures. He’s been sub par overall since he’s been with us, that’s obvious. But give the bloke a fucking chance to prove what he’s learnt in the off-season instead of jumping down his throat.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’m with you here mate. Cannot for the life of me figure out what people are so upset about. He runs the ball, he gets trapped with it. He passes, doesn’t create anything.
For comparison, Reynolds had 2 runs for about 8 meters and got just as, if not more smashed than Flanagan, and Josh is the ball runner.
Can Flanagan be better? Fuck yeah. Could the rest of the team? Bloody oath. It’s their first fucking hit out in a new spine, with a new coach, trying new structures. He’s been sub par overall since he’s been with us, that’s obvious. But give the bloke a fucking chance to prove what he’s learnt in the off-season instead of jumping down his throat.
Na Reynolds is better because he did a thing and then did another thing :tearsofjoy:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
@Critta Magic on a side note, you weren’t kidding about Preston. Fuck me dead. Impressive.
Yes he looks like a great pickup. Was only going off his highlights, some reserve grade games and what everyone else was reporting on from preseason training.