Official Bulldogs vs Raiders Pre-season Challenge - Team List and Game Discussion Thread.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also Flanagan is the key
Over the last five years opposition teams have waltzed down field and been able to either score or put in attacking kicks at ease - the dogs on the other hand have struggled to make metres with any consistency - if the dogs can at leasts match other teams through the middle Flanagan might be able to make a difference - to be effective Flanagan, like most halves, needs the forwards to get momentum and metres.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Over the last five years opposition teams have waltzed down field and been able to either score or put in attacking kicks at ease - the dogs on the other hand have struggled to make metres with any consistency - if the dogs can at leasts match other teams through the middle Flanagan might be able to make a difference - to be effective Flanagan, like most halves, needs the forwards to get momentum and metres.
I hope so, because it’s been no surprise that every game we play the last three years, we know we’re gonna lose because that’s how we’ve been perceived our club to be. If we stand up on Sunday to show the raiders we ain’t your bashing club and we are here for serious business then I think a lot of teams will naturally be somewhat scared of what we are capable of now.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm keen to see how Sutton looks. I rated him at Canberra as a solid, workmanlike forward but last year he was disappointing. Stuart can do that to players though, especially forwards with how much he fucks with their minutes/role..

Supposedly he's had a good preseason and Gus and Ciraldo are impressed with him.. He seems like he'll start at lock, so he could surprise people this season. He's a good defender and makes decent metres on his runs.
In The Bye Round Podcast Mason rates him highly, believes he has the mongrel to be a Bulldogs style forward, never take a backwards step, be a little crazy when stepping over the while line and don't let anyone think they have it over him. If Mason sees that in Sutton then we are in for an interesting season.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
In The Bye Round Podcast Mason rates him highly, believes he has the mongrel to be a Bulldogs style forward, never take a backwards step, be a little crazy when stepping over the while line and don't let anyone think they have it over him. If Mason sees that in Sullivan then we are in for an interesting season.

Always a Bulldog
Sullivan?

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Think you meant Sutton. I have high hopes for him to be a better version of Jacko.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Plenty times the forwards have us in perfect field position only to be let down by the spine.
Ive sat there deja vu groundhog day watching it unfold that many times thinking well thats the end of that then, we got nothing, same shit every week.
Then we're on the back foot burning energy defending blown opportunities.
I hear what your saying and yes our forward pack has been soft but tries = momentum, possession, confidence and wins.
Relying on the forwards so Flange can get a clue doesnt fill me with confidence.
Anywhos new coach, new team, new year. Hopefully he can do a job for us.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Plenty times the forwards have us in perfect field position only to be let down by the spine.
Ive sat there deja vu groundhog day watching it unfold that many times thinking well thats the end of that then, we got nothing, same shit every week.
Then we're on the back foot burning energy defending blown opportunities.
I hear what your saying and yes our forward pack has been soft but tries = momentum, possession, confidence and wins.
Relying on the forwards so Flange can get a clue doesnt fill me with confidence.
Anywhos new coach, new team, new year. Hopefully he can do a job for us.
The halves havent been good enough when opportunities presented, my point is the opportunities have been rare. Whilst the new players will hopefully improve team performance im more interested in how the new coach impacts the players who hav been at the club over the last few years.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
DateMatchStadiumTime (AEDT)
Thursday February 9thNew Zealand Warriors vs Wests Tigers Mt Smart Stadium6pm
Friday February 10thNewcastle Knights vs Cronulla SharksCentral Coast Stadium5:55pm
Friday February 10thSouth Sydney Rabbitohs vs Manly Sea EaglesCentral Coast Stadium8pm
Saturday February 11thMaori vs Indigenous All Stars – WomenRotorua International Stadium1.30pm
Saturday February 11thMaori vs Indigenous All Stars – MenRotorua International Stadium3.45pm
Saturday February 11thParramatta Eels vs Penrith PanthersBlueBet Stadium6pm
Saturday February 11thSt George Illawarra Dragons v St HelensWIN Stadium8.05pm
Sunday February 12thMelbourne Storm vs Sydney RoostersGMHBA Stadium1.50pm
Sunday February 12thCanberra Raiders vs Canterbury BulldogsAck Weyman Oval3.55pm
Sunday February 12thNorth Queensland Cowboys vs DolphinsBarlow Park6pm
Sunday February 12thBrisbane Broncos vs Gold Coast TitansSunshine Coast Stadium8.05pm

DateMatchStadiumTime
Friday February 17thNewcastle Knights vs Parramatta EelsCentral Coast Stadium5.55pm
Friday February 17thSydney Roosters vs Manly Sea EaglesCentral Coast Stadium8pm
Saturday February 18thSt George Illawarra Dragons vs South Sydney Rabbitohs Glen Willow Stadium3.30pm
Saturday February 18thPenrith Panthers vs St Helens (World Club Challenge)BlueBet Stadium6pm
Saturday February 18thBrisbane Broncos vs North Queensland CowboysSunshine Coast Stadium8.10pm
Sunday February 19thNew Zealand Warriors vs Melbourne StormOrangetheory Stadium12.50pm
Sunday February 19thWests Tigers vs Canberra RaidersBelmore Sports Ground2.55pm
Sunday February 19thCanterbury Bulldogs vs Cronulla SharksBelmore Sports Ground5pm
Sunday February 19thDolphins vs Gold Coast TitansMoreton Daily Stadium7.05pm

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The halves havent been good enough when opportunities presented, my point is the opportunities have been rare. Whilst the new players will hopefully improve team performance im more interested in how the new coach impacts the players who hav been at the club over the last few years.
Dont think we will get much of a read with the the first trial. Hopefully improvements across the board to be seen round one with a full strength squad.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Useless trivia - Ack Weyman oval is named after Michael Weyman's dad who did alot for rugby league in Moruya.

Michael Weyman won a comp for St Merge in 2010. He also started going bald when he was 12

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Useless trivia - Ack Weyman oval is named after Michael Weyman's dad who did alot for rugby league in Moruya.

Michael Weyman won a comp for St Merge in 2010. He also started going bald when he was 12
Mick also has a statue down there and it was moved to the oval when his old man's statue was built.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s my concern for 2023 mate, aside from Sutton we have the same muscle minus Vaughan from 2022 ..

Interested to see what Mahoney’s magic can do … and how Ciraldo has them playing ..

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Results of trials are irrelevant imho - on the assumption that the top squad, forwrad anyway plays the first 25 minutes im most interested in

- do the forwards make metres -
- do the forwards offer any domination aggression in defence
- does Thompson show any improvement - is he the first shoulder in defence, does he make metres
- who from the bench plays in the middle and how well they play
- defence of Alamoti and Averillo
I. Expecting a lot more then you then. This is a very understrength Raiders team, so im expecting a solid win!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree. I can see Ciraldo trying to use Alomoti as Brian To’o style winger and Kiraz with some height on the other side. Especially if Joash Papalli works out as a fullback in the next 18 months. I’m hoping that Burns only plays half a game at fullback and we get a look at Papalii on Sunday.
If a team kicks to our left edge, JAC sprints back to gather the ball and bring it out as far as he can, then we hit them with Alamot and Kikau. Theyre gonna regret it!!