Official Bulldogs vs Raiders NRL Trial - Sat 23rd Feb - Discussion Thread

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need quality or at least adequate outside backs that can at least defend. Okunbor has been average since sgball - makes the same mistakes year after year. Olive still hasn't learnt to defend. Montoya went ok today. Harper general makes good decisions defensively but offers little in attack. Probabaly better off using a mobile back rower in the centres.
Yes Chris Smith

Old Dog 63

Waterboy
Reaction score
Saddler's been in the rehab squad so probably just part of his recovery plan. Still, I have no idea either. Has anyone seen him play?
I saw him play most of his junior football. He was an absolute standout. Not sure how he will go in the big league. The dogs have done their best to hide him

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lewis and Foz will be the halves for round one but I didn't think Cogger was too bad today..

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
It's not that a number of the players are shit or wont amount to anything. Players like Okonbur, they are good for where they are in development, but just not ready for fg yet.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thought we looked pretty good today tbh. Well the team that will resemble the starting team looked good.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t know about that.
Meany was fine at fb and hoppa was devastating at center.
Hoppa did sfa at centre
Or did I watch a different game
Meany isn’t even in the same class as hoppa
Needs to be eased in and may start from the wing first

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lewis an foz deff need to start, if we can do what we did the first half an keep that going throughout the 80 mins and not drop off too much we will be very competitive this year, and should be in the 8.!!
Saw some great things today and it’s only a trial game after all..so many positives to take away from today going into round 1.

DOGGIES 4 LIFE.

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bring on the Warriors
3 out of our first 4 games we can win

We need to target first month because a great start will get our season going unlike last season (1/4) and we played catch up all year
Are tickets on sale for round one in NZ yet? Or only for Warriors supporters? Ticketmaster.co.nz has them up but not ticketek, but need a code for ticketmaster. Do you know anything? Cheers

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I thought Crichton was quite strong today to be honest. He’s a quick little pocket rocket. Gets involved plenty and makes metres. He’ll be good for us.
He made a huge blunder from a kickoff letting the balll go over sideline, but that was it.

I'm 52 and 30kg overweight, and John Olive shows me anything is possible!!
I hope come contract time we do not extend the Olive branch to John.

CHN has me worried... not sure about him...
Give him time to warm into the role. He's a very good edge runner but today was largely playing with the Intrust team on the Cogger side.

Okunbors defence lost us the game
Okunbor was made to look bad by friggin John Olive.

Olive was doubling up on Coggers marked number (not trusting his inside man), which left Okunbor defending a 2 on 1 overlap. Even Brett Morris couldn't have stopped the tries on that side today.

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Roosters wouldn't beat the Toronto wolf pack with a 10-nil 2nd half penalty count & a player sent to the bin for 10 doing fuck all. If these typical bias calls are gonna happen again this year I'm done. Just hope the team we had in the 1st half play too good so it takes it out of the refs hands but I doubt it.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We only won 1 out of 3 trial matches in 2012(and also lost to Canberra), not saying we will have a similar year as that but I wouldn't take to much away from this match.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hoppa did sfa at centre
Or did I watch a different game
Meany isn’t even in the same class as hoppa
Needs to be eased in and may start from the wing first
I think people just looked at his number (4) reality is he played fullback for majority of first half and set up (hand in all our tries bar R Smith)

Hoppa at the moment shits on Meaney

He simply has to be our starting fullback if we want to score points as his combination with halves and Holland is on point