Official Bulldogs vs Jets NSW Cup Grand Final - Team List and Discussion Thread

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Okunbor is just big and black with crazy hair, that's about as good as it gets with him. He has feet for hands at times, can't tackle, isn't a damaging runner for someone he's size and he isn't the smartest footy player. What he needs is a full year in the same position, no more moving him around, let him develop in one position and maybe then he MAY be able to crack first grade, but right now it looks like he won't ever be good enough.

Harper with a full pre-season should be given the first crack at the vacant centre position, I don't think he will ever be a superstar in first grade but he can be a really good centre in the Dean Whare ilk. If I'm not wrong he has a young family over in NZ and we should do everything we can to bring them over otherwise he will get homesick and we could lose a potentially quality player.

doggyrock

Waterboy
Reaction score
Okunbor is just big and black with crazy hair, that's about as good as it gets with him. He has feet for hands at times, can't tackle, isn't a damaging runner for someone he's size and he isn't the smartest footy player. What he needs is a full year in the same position, no more moving him around, let him develop in one position and maybe then he MAY be able to crack first grade, but right now it looks like he won't ever be good enough.

Harper with a full pre-season should be given the first crack at the vacant centre position, I don't think he will ever be a superstar in first grade but he can be a really good centre in the Dean Whare ilk. If I'm not wrong he has a young family over in NZ and we should do everything we can to bring them over otherwise he will get homesick and we could lose a potentially quality player.
Jayden is only 21. He killed it in 20’s maybe just taking some time adjusting to playing in the open grade.
A full offseason and another year in Cup and he will hit his straps. 2020 he will be 23 years old.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If people can't see any sort of potential in Okunbor then you ***** are fried or just racist. There are plenty of positives in his game, just as there are negatives, but these negatives aren't things that will be there forever.

He lacks plenty of polish as a winger but he simply has fuck all experience playing there, a full off season training in that role could make a major difference to his game. His athletic ability is great and people claiming he isn't strong or fast are just taking the piss.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If people can't see any sort of potential in Okunbor then you ***** are fried or just racist. There are plenty of positives in his game, just as there are negatives, but these negatives aren't things that will be there forever.

He lacks plenty of polish as a winger but he simply has fuck all experience playing there, a full off season training in that role could make a major difference to his game. His athletic ability is great and people claiming he isn't strong or fast are just taking the piss.
I agree! He looks better on the wing then he has in any other position. He does make a lot of post contact meters and does have decent top speed he just lacks acceleration and takes a while to get going.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What a day! What a win!

The 2400 km we travelled to watch the finals series was well and truly worth it and as I said to club legends and current ISP players alike yesterday the day was always going to end the way it did. They deserved their premiership and they deserved our support. This year has been a difficult one for Dogs fans ( and players) both on and off the field but it was so surreal when the siren sounded and we were proclaimed ISP NSW Champs for 2018.Finally a glimmer of hope for the future to put beside the much improved performance of our first grade side late in the season.

There were some nervous times yesterday but I thought the defining moment was the monumental defensive effort when Newtown were pressing our line for set after set late into the game, some from the normal ebb and flow of the game some from some terrible errors from us. . At least three times it looked like the Jets were try bound but the boys dug deep and found something to keep the try line intact. They had a period in the game in the first half where it was all Newtown, set after perfect set ,a total of 20 or so and a ten nil deficit to boot. The try just before half time one of hope and a belief that the second half would be better.

We had plenty of wounded, Burr, who revealed to us after the game the horrific gash on his heavily bandaged finger and hand courtesy of a circular saw accident one week earlier, of course it had opened up again no surprise considering the way he threw himself into the game; Beast knocked pretty much for six but a recovery and a return from the head bin, Taulau who suffered a painful hip injury that the Dr and physio worked hard on on the sideline and eventually required some heavy duty padding and a pain killing injection. Cerruto and Beast went into the game with uncomfortable ankle injuries suffered at training during the week, not enough to stop them from playing but enough to put a scare into the camp.

The beautiful after match marriage proposal by Ren To'omaga with the help of his teammates bearing the words will you marry me?

The amount of support we had at the ground was phenomenal and at one stage the trainer implored us to amp it up as the boys were struggling. Watched the replay this morning and you could hear us loud and proud. Chris Smith commented after the game that the players could really hear us and it was somewhat motivational and lifting for them. A big crowd of nearly 9000 at an Intrust game was unbelievable .......although I was puzzled as to why a lot of the Cronulla fans left before our game as Newtown is their feeder club and quite a few of their boys were playing.

The presentation ceremony however left a lot to be desired, principally thanks to Channel Nine who did not want to be late for the program that followed our game. The Newtown Captain began to walk towards the stage but was called back into their huddle so the MC just said "perhaps we will move on", no proper handing out of the winners medals and a very hurried huddle onto the stage to sing the victory song and streamers. Not much in the way of post match interviews by Nine either but plenty from 2GB , Steele Sports and a few others. Once again not much positivity from any of the Channel Nine crew although Gus sat on the fence and could not make up his mind. I don't care though ;the important ones, the players and the fans had the belief and the positivity and at the end of the day that is what matters.

I was lucky to get John Olive's match worn socks and they will be framed and placed in the man cave with the proper acknowledgment of ISP Grand Final Premiers 2018. Oh, okay, I asked him if I could have a sock and he then promptly took off his boot, removed his sock handed it to me and said " What the heck...have both". Sweaty and striking of dencorub but nonetheless treasured. The jerseys were sent out mid week to have the appropriate embroidery put on acknowledging the game and the date and the players were from reports a bit overwhelmed; those jerseys will now be a constant reminder of their achievement.

To a man the players thanked us for our continued support and belief in them and it made me feel very proud in that they were thanking US after they had put everything on the line ; it was their defence, their team work, their attack, their sweat and energy after all that got them over the line.

Jayden Okonbur made me eat my words yesterday; after some very sketchy performances and moments during the year, he stood tall and played out of his skin. He will benefit from this experience and he will grow and hopefully will be able to push himself that much more to be the special player that a lot at the club believe he can be. He is still a baby I guess and still finding his way, perhaps with the players with have signed for next year he will get to make a wing position his own rather than floating between the 11 and 2.

Some players will be leaving us definitely, some still up in the air about their future but yesterday they all worked together as one; as Bulldogs, to bring home the prize, one they truly deserved.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What a day! What a win!

The 2400 km we travelled to watch the finals series was well and truly worth it and as I said to club legends and current ISP players alike yesterday the day was always going to end the way it did. They deserved their premiership and they deserved our support. This year has been a difficult one for Dogs fans ( and players) both on and off the field but it was so surreal when the siren sounded and we were proclaimed ISP NSW Champs for 2018.Finally a glimmer of hope for the future to put beside the much improved performance of our first grade side late in the season.

There were some nervous times yesterday but I thought the defining moment was the monumental defensive effort when Newtown were pressing our line for set after set late into the game, some from the normal ebb and flow of the game some from some terrible errors from us. . At least three times it looked like the Jets were try bound but the boys dug deep and found something to keep the try line intact. They had a period in the game in the first half where it was all Newtown, set after perfect set ,a total of 20 or so and a ten nil deficit to boot. The try just before half time one of hope and a belief that the second half would be better.

We had plenty of wounded, Burr, who revealed to us after the game the horrific gash on his heavily bandaged finger and hand courtesy of a circular saw accident one week earlier, of course it had opened up again no surprise considering the way he threw himself into the game; Beast knocked pretty much for six but a recovery and a return from the head bin, Taulau who suffered a painful hip injury that the Dr and physio worked hard on on the sideline and eventually required some heavy duty padding and a pain killing injection. Cerruto and Beast went into the game with uncomfortable ankle injuries suffered at training during the week, not enough to stop them from playing but enough to put a scare into the camp.

The beautiful after match marriage proposal by Ren To'omaga with the help of his teammates bearing the words will you marry me?

The amount of support we had at the ground was phenomenal and at one stage the trainer implored us to amp it up as the boys were struggling. Watched the replay this morning and you could hear us loud and proud. Chris Smith commented after the game that the players could really hear us and it was somewhat motivational and lifting for them. A big crowd of nearly 9000 at an Intrust game was unbelievable .......although I was puzzled as to why a lot of the Cronulla fans left before our game as Newtown is their feeder club and quite a few of their boys were playing.

The presentation ceremony however left a lot to be desired, principally thanks to Channel Nine who did not want to be late for the program that followed our game. The Newtown Captain began to walk towards the stage but was called back into their huddle so the MC just said "perhaps we will move on", no proper handing out of the winners medals and a very hurried huddle onto the stage to sing the victory song and streamers. Not much in the way of post match interviews by Nine either but plenty from 2GB , Steele Sports and a few others. Once again not much positivity from any of the Channel Nine crew although Gus sat on the fence and could not make up his mind. I don't care though ;the important ones, the players and the fans had the belief and the positivity and at the end of the day that is what matters.

I was lucky to get John Olive's match worn socks and they will be framed and placed in the man cave with the proper acknowledgment of ISP Grand Final Premiers 2018. Oh, okay, I asked him if I could have a sock and he then promptly took off his boot, removed his sock handed it to me and said " What the heck...have both". Sweaty and striking of dencorub but nonetheless treasured. The jerseys were sent out mid week to have the appropriate embroidery put on acknowledging the game and the date and the players were from reports a bit overwhelmed; those jerseys will now be a constant reminder of their achievement.

To a man the players thanked us for our continued support and belief in them and it made me feel very proud in that they were thanking US after they had put everything on the line ; it was their defence, their team work, their attack, their sweat and energy after all that got them over the line.

Jayden Okonbur made me eat my words yesterday; after some very sketchy performances and moments during the year, he stood tall and played out of his skin. He will benefit from this experience and he will grow and hopefully will be able to push himself that much more to be the special player that a lot at the club believe he can be. He is still a baby I guess and still finding his way, perhaps with the players with have signed for next year he will get to make a wing position his own rather than floating between the 11 and 2.

Some players will be leaving us definitely, some still up in the air about their future but yesterday they all worked together as one; as Bulldogs, to bring home the prize, one they truly deserved.

You get a best post alone for travelling 2400km!

It was a disgrace the way the presentation ceremony was handled & it was all because of Channel 9 wanting to get to the news. These guys put their bodies on the line for 12 months to achieve yesterday's win & to be treated like that was disgraceful. A treasured memory for all concerned ruined. Perhaps the NSWRL can have the match 20 minutes earlier next year. Geez Channel 9 spend an hour before NRL games talking nothing but crap, so why not have a bit more of the celebrations.

The way the Newtown Captain was portrayed on the telecast was that he refused to come up, so if you what you say is true, I stand corrected.

Even though Gould refused to commit to supporting either side on the day, the commentary team ALL were barracking for the Jets. And their commentary was pretty poor as they hardly ever focused on the game, rather clever little stories, most of which we have heard before.

Malla

Reaction score

It was a disgrace the way the presentation ceremony was handled & it was all because of Channel 9 wanting to get to the news. These guys put their bodies on the line for 12 months to achieve yesterday's win & to be treated like that was disgraceful. A treasured memory for all concerned ruined. Perhaps the NSWRL can have the match 20 minutes earlier next year. Geez Channel 9 spend an hour before NRL games talking nothing but crap, so why not have a bit more of the celebrations.

The way the Newtown Captain was portrayed on the telecast was that he refused to come up, so if you what you say is true, I stand corrected.

Even though Gould refused to commit to supporting either side on the day, the commentary team ALL were barracking for the Jets. And their commentary was pretty poor as they hardly ever focused on the game, rather clever little stories, most of which we have heard before.
How painful was it listening to Soward?

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
How painful was it listening to Soward?
Alana Ferguson is even more painful. Surprising that for someone who plays the game she regularly has no idea what she's talking about and I'm not just talking about getting player names right but also the tactics.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Alana Ferguson is even more painful. Surprising that for someone who plays the game she regularly has no idea what she's talking about and I'm not just talking about getting player names right but also the tactics.
Yet if it was tactics on how to iron creases out of clothes, or get stubborn stains off blouses... she'd absolutely murder it.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

If that is what you have to do your support your side so be it.

It did look as if the Newtown Captain was going to go up on stage as he moved 5 or so metres away from the team huddle, stopped, looked back and then promptly went back to the huddle. Don't know what it was all about but if it was a refusal pretty disgraceful then.

The ISP is not a big consideration even from the NRL and I have been told from some in the know that there is little communication between them. Nothing for the losers yesterday either just medals for the winners and a hasty trophy hand over.

We pretty much bagged the Newtown blokes all game for being offside etc. but come full time as they went off we did make the effort to congratulate them for getting to the GF a fact that they acknowledged and thanked us for. At the end of the day they would have been shattered and their season all for nothing as lot like it would have been if we had lost.

No mention of anything about the players on the field feel good stories but we expect nothing less. Even their man of the match was a quick little throw away line from Alanna Ferguson.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yet if it was tactics on how to iron creases out of clothes, or get stubborn stains off blouses... she'd absolutely murder it.
She has no idea, can't talk properly and she isn't even attractive.

She is purely there because she is a female.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
She has no idea, can't talk properly and she isn't even attractive.

She is purely there because she is a female.
Come on mate she isn't bad sort ....
But the rest you are correct lol

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Eastwood was best on park by a mile
I don’t know how he does it but he knows how to hit the opposition. And probably going to be on the outer here with most but like to see him signed for another year his so loyal to the dogs.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People need to get over Cleeland (he is not being retained apparently), or watch this seasons games again.

Whilst there are certainly some good qualities to his game, there are two really bad ones (and that's what is keeping him from first grade).

1. He comes out of the line in defence fast. This is fine if you hit your player and wrap up the ball. If you do neither (which is often the case), you create a +1 defensive overlap other players have to plug, and it often results in a try on that side (or a line break).

2. He plays 40 minutes of football, which for an organising half is NOT good enough. Watch most games of his and he goes missing for half of it.

Next year we have Jack Cogger coming over, and Brandon Wakeham will have to make the step up (too old for NYC next year).

Burr I totally agree with. I'd even add Greg Eastwood on a cheap contract for another 12 months. He's been brilliant in the past month odd.
I reckon if Eastwood does not get a contract elsewhere he would probably stay and play ISP again on minimal wage, the bloke really loves this club, so glad to see him win a premiership albeit not the top grade one(which should have had in 2012 but that's another story lol)

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Youd think hell get a deal with someone next year