Bulldogs vs cows match thread

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jackson has filled in at centre tho.

It's a mute point to argue.

Ciro has picked Okenbour. Has his reasons that many of us can't fathom so we'll just have to see how it pans out.
Gus addresse this.

With concussion affecting every single game nowadays, Okunbor gives flexibility off the bench of a potential back + forward.

Okunbor did okay off the bench against NZ. Got through a fair amount of tackles, and made a few runs.

It’s not a bad ploy - but we’ve also been lucky that we’ve been minimally affected by concussion 4 rounds in.

All in all - is it a dumb decision? No, you cannot say that.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it comes back to winger being the most disruptive to a teams shape when lost to injury, HIA etc.
In theory (apparently) Okunbur can cover that possibility while also filling as a middle....apparently....
What it really highlights is our lack of fit middles and versatility in the squad at this stage.
Gus addresse this.

With concussion affecting every single game nowadays, Okunbor gives flexibility off the bench of a potential back + forward.

Okunbor did okay off the bench against NZ. Got through a fair amount of tackles, and made a few runs.

It’s not a bad ploy - but we’ve also been lucky that we’ve been minimally affected by concussion 4 rounds in.

I think it is a desperate decision

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Gus addresse this.

My opinion is its a dumb decision. Sorry.

Topine is the better, more versatile utility.

Even Kyle Feldt hasn't been turned into a forward and he shows more potential as a winger turned forward than Oki. Forward play ...must be a piece of cake if a failed winger gets a go at it...learning it in first grade as well.

But as I've said several times....it's Ciro's call not any of ours.

We just have opinions as loyal, committed fans.

Ciro gets paid to make the calls. His decision. We've had quite a few coaches trying to turn players into something they're not by changing their playing/style position.

Let's wait and see if Topine gets a go and then compare the two of them and their value to the team. We'll all be better placed to confirm our own opinions on this issue...right or wrong :grinning:

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its easy to gloat when they have match officials piggy backing them the whole game and a dropkick bunker official who lays the boot into us every opportunity they get. We will see who will be laughing at seasons end.
They won at home by 2 points against a bottom 4 team whos forward pack had been decimated with injuries.
As you said, we'll see season end whos coach performs better.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Reynolds back this week replacing Brown, personally can't see how this works unless there's other changes to our bench and forward pack. Brown has been playing about 40m at lock for us and there's zero chance Reynolds is capable of doing that.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My opinion is its a dumb decision. Sorry.

Topine is the better, more versatile utility.

Even Kyle Feldt hasn't been turned into a forward and he shows more potential as a winger turned forward than Oki. Forward play ...must be a piece of cake if a failed winger gets a go at it...learning it in first grade as well.

But as I've said several times....it's Ciro's call not any of ours.

We just have opinions as loyal, committed fans.

Ciro gets paid to make the calls. His decision. We've had quite a few coaches trying to turn players into something they're not by changing their playing/style position.

Let's wait and see if Topine gets a go and then compare the two of them and their value to the team. We'll all be better placed to confirm our own opinions on this issue...right or wrong :grinning:
Get over Topine.

He clearly isn’t getting a run in this squad, even when we’re 2 starting forwards and a benchy down.

Also - he is our 3rd string utility.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Get over Topine.

He clearly isn’t getting a run in this squad, even when we’re 2 starting forwards and a benchy down.

Comparing the 2 players is all.
Topine the better player.
Get over yourself and stop replying so the debate can finish.
Ciro picks the team. End of.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Reynolds back this week replacing Brown, personally can't see how this works unless there's other changes to our bench and forward pack. Brown has been playing about 40m at lock for us and there's zero chance Reynolds is capable of doing that.
Where you hear this? Is there a presser I missed or something.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Comparing the 2 players is all.
Topine the better player.
Get over yourself and stop replying so the debate can finish.
Ciro picks the team. End of.
Get over myself?

Geez. I tell you to look past the Topine selection and ask yourself why Topine is behind a host of players. Get over myself? Sure dude.

Ill stop putting forward suggestions and continue to troll.

And just an FYI - Topine was listed on our extended last weekend - and yet, Reynolds is jumping him after the Brown injury. He is the depth to our depth.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People seem to forget that Okunbor is a 2nd rower (forward) turned winger, at some point he was always going to return to his roots (sic).

Exactly and he sees far more than we ever will.

Always a Bulldog
Stop talking sense mate.

There are some Graham Annesley-like people here- clearly on the spectrum, and it bloody well shows.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Get over Topine.

He might get a run this week but honestly I don't know how so many on here don't get it. Okunbor who has a larger frame covers the wing, centre and forwards whereas Topine has a smaller frame and covers centre, forward and hooker (poorly). Okunbor simply offered more value because Brown was already available as cover for hooker and player than can cover the wing is better than one that can cover the centres as having to play Averillo or Alamoti on the wing is far from ideal.

So many can't seem to look past our circumstances or dislike for certain players right now. Ideally we have Brown, two out and out props and then whoever Ciraldo feels likes going with in the 4th spot. Obviously we can't do that so Ciraldo is doing his best to try and find a solution with what we have available.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly I can’t stand Okunbor but he hasn’t really done much wrong this year

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He might get a run this week but honestly I don't know how so many on here don't get it. Okunbor who has a larger frame covers the wing, centre and forwards whereas Topine has a smaller frame and covers centre, forward and hooker (poorly). Okunbor simply offered more value because Brown was already available as cover for hooker and player than can cover the wing is better than one that can cover the centres as having to play Averillo or Alamoti on the wing is far from ideal.

So many can't seem to look past our circumstances or dislike for certain players right now. Ideally we have Brown, two out and out props and then whoever Ciraldo feels likes going with in the 4th spot. Obviously we can't do that so Ciraldo is doing his best to try and find a solution with what we have available.
STOP TALKING SENSE FFS

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Get over myself?

Geez. I tell you to look past the Topine selection and ask yourself why Topine is behind a host of players. Get over myself? Sure dude.

Ill stop putting forward suggestions and continue to troll.

And just an FYI - Topine was listed on our extended last weekend - and yet, Reynolds is jumping him after the Brown injury. He is the depth to our depth.
Dills like yourself keep harping on going round and round in circles.

It's just a personal opinion on the strengths and weaknesses of different players.

I said I think Topine is the better player than Okenbour. You won't be changing my opinion.

I said Ciro picks the team. We don't. I'm fine with that. I think Topine would bring a lot of energy but if CC rates Topine a 3rd stringer then so be it. It's not my problem.

Now go away and start an argument with someone else.