Bulldogs V Raiders Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
VENUE & TIME: ANZ Stadium, August 14, 7.30pm (AEST)
COVERAGE: Fox Sports
HEAD TO HEADPlayed 55, Bulldogs 32, Raiders 23
LAST TIME: Bulldogs 18 – Raiders 10 at Canberra Stadium, Round 10, 2010

WALKING WOUNDED: Brisbane-bound prop Ben Hannant is out of the Bulldogs side this week due to an Achilles injury, forcing coach Kevin Moore to shift Jamal Idris from the centres into the back-row and Michael Hodgson to the front-row. Promising Toyota Cup player Daniel Rauicava will make his NRL debut in the centres. Raiders lock Josh Miller was knocked out early against the Panthers and will miss this game with concussion, giving Shaun Fensom a call-up to a five-man bench. Trevor Thurling is the new lock.

FORM: The Bulldogs said an official goodbye to their already slim finals prospects in Newcastle last Sunday when they were blown off the paddock in no uncertain terms by the switched-on Knights. It was a must-win game for both sides, but only one team turned up to play – a statement justified by the fact the Dogs were down 30-0 after 60 mins. For a club with such a competent roster of players, the results this season have been largely unacceptable, especially when compared to last year. The Raiders' season was all-but over when trailing by 14 points at half-time of their match against the Panthers on Monday night, but coach David Furner's choice of words at the break obviously had an effect as the Green Machine went on to produce one of their finest halves of footy this season in the second stanza. They will need to maintain the rage over the final four rounds of the comp to be any chance of featuring in September action.

WHO'S HOT: Young Raiders centre Jarrod Croker put in one his better attacking performances of the season in his team's come-from-behind win over the Panthers. Presented with some clean, early ball, Croker found plenty of space down the left-edge to finish with the most metres in attack for his side. His goal kicking has also improved out of sight, landing five conversions from as many attempts.

WE THINK: Just because Canberra have more to play for does not mean they have the right to go into this game against the Bulldogs as favourites. The Raiders are certainly capable of blowing teams away as we saw against the Knights in Round 19 and the Panthers during the second-half last Monday night, but they also have a tendency to drop their bundle just when something is expected of them. This match has the potential produce yet another one of those outcomes. The Bulldogs no longer have to walk the finals tightrope and could benefit from having this significant pressure eased. They will not want to put in a below-par performance in front of their already disappointed home fans and as a result will be extremely difficult to topple here. With Ben Roberts back in the halves alongside Kimmorley and the electrifying Ben Barba expected to come into his own off the bench at the back-end of each half, the care-free Bulldogs should get the job done. Bulldogs by 6.

http://sportal.com.au/league-news-display/preview-bulldogs-v-raiders-96555

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
Honestly I want the Raiders to win. They are one of the few teams left that I would like to see make the finals and could stand them winning the GF. Also if it means they keep the eels out of the eight I will be happy :grinning: whats another loss to us...

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Warbs better be back.

Last edited by a moderator:

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Is it wrong for me to hope we lose??

It will piss me off if we actually win and bring back those "where was this all year" thoughts. Plus I would rather them make the 8 than the Eels.

I do hope Rauicava has a blinder though.

Q-Tip

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I hope we win, not just for a bit of pride but also to give the General and Noddy a decent farewell.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I hope we put 50 on them in the most brutal display of the year... Oh wait..

Status
Not open for further replies.