BULLDOGS UPGRADE

Mike Z

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
At least now we have an upgrade from Montoya, Holland and Cogger with COTRIC, JAC, FLANAGAN & also BURTON

Are you sure we are still Called THE BULLDOGS?

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dare say that they'll leave the name as is for at least a couple more years.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
At least now we have an upgrade from Montoya, Holland and Cogger with COTRIC, JAC, FLANAGAN & also BURTON

Are you sure we are still Called THE BULLDOGS?
I can't see us going back to "the Berries" or "CBs".

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes just look at the players we signed last off season vs this off season.

Mike Z

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It is a big turnaround, Dean PAY didnt have any money in salary cap. I believe he deserved 1 more year to prove himself. I dont blame him for the last 3 years. I don't think any coach would have done any better.
We did not win any wooden spoon in that time.
Important to note on paper we have had the worst team in the NRL in the last 2 seasons

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It is a big turnaround, Dean PAY didnt have any money in salary cap. I believe he deserved 1 more year to prove himself. I dont blame him for the last 3 years. I don't think any coach would have done any better.
Important to note on paper we have had the worst team in the NRL in the last 2 seasons
What about the fitness, come on mate Pay was hopeless

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree on your points regarding no money in the cap to spend & the worst roster, but unfortunately I think it would have been hard for Deano to attract the players that TBaz has landed even with the coin to spend.
I just don't think they would have come over, just my opinion though.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Although I agree to an extent he deserved a year or two with money to spend, I think the common opinion and belief is that this was just the inevitable decision that was going to happen anyway.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What about the fitness, come on mate Pay was hopeless
We could debate this every day till the season starts and then some. It's easy to point the finger at fitness, when a team defends most of a game because they have no attack, no strike players, no one to create something from nothing, get precious minutes off while the goal kicker converts multiple tries. Eventually even the fittest players will get fatigued when they aren't scoring points and controlling the pace of the game.

Reminder, the Chooks faded at 3/4 season because Robinson over trained them in the pre season and then the effwit did it again in the Covid break.

Go Dogs

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Although I agree to an extent he deserved a year or two with money to spend, I think the common opinion and belief is that this was just the inevitable decision that was going to happen anyway.
Pay would have resigned tolman for $1m a season. NO THANKS

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I agree on your points regarding no money in the cap to spend & the worst roster, but unfortunately I think it would have been hard for Deano to attract the players that TBaz has landed even with the coin to spend.
I just don't think they would have come over, just my opinion though.
Agreed mate, and Just to add to that, if Pay were to attract the same signings, it might have been at the expense of an extra $50-$100k each signing. After 5-6 signings that’s adding up quickly. The Baz factor has definitely helped attract some young talent, especially in the halves.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed mate, and Just to add to that, if Pay were to attract the same signings, it might have been at the expense of an extra $50-$100k each signing. After 5-6 signings that’s adding up quickly. The Baz factor has definitely helped attract some young talent, especially in the halves.
It helped big time that in the Panthers great run last year, just about every single player interviewed quoted just how much TBaz improved their personal game and credited him for going to the next level in attack.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also think winning those last five or six games at the end of 2019 didnt do us any favors and gave the team a false sense of where we at as a team....

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Buying all these Panther players is somewhat of a worry. They didnt exactly set the world on fire at the Panthers.
Its looking good, but I think he should look further afield for good players.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Pay did his bit. But it was time to move on. Otherwise we'd have been St George with Mary and lost 10 years because he didnt have the team, or he was hard done by with injuries, or he is an old boy so deserved respect.

Fact of the matter is we have Averillo with a dozen or so games (and maybe 1 in the spine), we have wakeham with about the same. Cogger probbaly got 25 or so games, Harper got 2, and we failed to give Meaney any quality time at fullback in a abysmal team to see if he could develop (funnily when he was dropped to the wing he was finally hitting his straps).

Instead we were giving time to Zelezniak who isnt a fullback and never will be, gave time to hoppa who is just way way way too slow to be a fullback. We played smith at centre even though we didnt have any winger at all. We put 35+ games into Lewis who seemed out of his depth about 10 games in. And we kept on giving game time to Crichton, Holland and Montoya (no surprise that 2 are gone as soon as Barrett arrives, and I think Crichton will soon follow).

So to say that Pay would have done well and built this team is a bit rich. I think he is a nice person, and definitely put his all into the role. But there is no harm to say thank you for your time Dean, thank you for the sacrifices you have made for the club, but we needed a new direction and a new age approach, which i think even before a tackle is made in anger we have achieved with Barrett.

We struggled for 3 years with pay, but more importantly we failed to see if Averillo could be a Fullback, we dont know what Wakeham is capable of, Cogger only got a handful of games in a row before constantly getting dropped. So the best man to take us into a new era and a premiership contender is definitely not Pay, but infact Baz