News Bulldogs unlikely to bite back until 2021 as Pay muzzles expectations

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It might be painful for Canterbury fans to hear, but coach Dean Pay admits the Bulldogs won't realistically push for finals football until 2021.

Pay is doing his utmost to get the best out of the NRL's youngest and least experienced squad and would love "another three to four Dallin Watene-Zelezniaks" in his roster.

Salary cap pressures mean the Belmore club will not be in a position to make a play for a big-money signing next season – Kieran Foran will not be shopped around, despite being on $1.2 million for the next campaign, Pay says – and while Joe Stimson makes his way up from Melbourne, Pay says a No.9 remains at the top of his 2020 wish list.

Just as Nathan Brown was given three years to rebuild Newcastle, and is only now starting to reap the rewards, Pay, who is into his second year in the top job at Belmore, hopes Canterbury and their passionate fans will show the same sort of patience.

It will be up to the board if they persist with him long enough for him to reap the rewards of what he is attempting to sow.

Justin Holbrook is one man being linked to Pay's job. But the incumbent coach is old school and doesn't get bogged down with the speculation.

The job has its challenges; there are good days and bad days, like every other job, except you're under more scrutiny than most," he said. "I knew that when I got into it.

"All I can control is what I'm doing here. My job is to build this team into a top-four team. We want to get there as soon as we can, and if that's 2021, great, but we need to make sure we keep developing these young players and bringing the kids through.

"Once we get our cap under control, we can then go and buy another quality player like Dallin. I'd love three or four Dallins playing in different positions, which would bring us up to being a force in this competition.

"Right now we'll take a couple of steps forward and then a couple of steps back because of how young these guys are. That's the reality of it.

"Once these guys get to 50 or 60 NRL games by [2021], they'll feel like regular first-graders.

"The way I look at it, I need to leave this place in better shape than when I first got here. It might not look it on the field, but we're putting in some good processes that will help get us to where we need to be."

Few give the Bulldogs any chance of upsetting the Sydney Roosters on Sunday afternoon at ANZ Stadium and Canterbury's cause will not be helped by the absence of Foran, who ran out of time to return from a hamstring injury.

Foran ran three times during the week but physio Tony Ayoub thought it was best to give him at least one more week.

RELATED ARTICLE

NRL 2019
Roosters stalwart Aubusson set to break records with new deal
The big-money playmaker showed glimpses of his best against Wests Tigers and Cronulla, only to injure himself in both games.

"'Foz' is champing at the bit to get back out there, and if he can stay injury-free and string some games together, he'll get back to what he's capable of and even go past it, I know he will," Pay said.

Pay, whose new support staff consists of Craig Wilson, Dave Hamilton and Mark Hughes, also said Dylan Napa was excited to take on his former club again, and if there was one criticism of the representative front-rower, it's that he is "probably trying too hard".

Josh Jackson continues to try his heart out each week – his effort to deny Corey Oates a try last round was inspirational – while the return of Aiden Tolman is a huge plus.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bu...pay-muzzles-expectations-20190726-p52b5r.html

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
"The way I look at it, I need to leave this place in better shape than when I first got here. It might not look it on the field, but we're putting in some good processes that will help get us to where we need to be."
Hopefully this is a cryptic quote!

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Man said he wants to leave this place in a better shape when in reality he’s destroying the place

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah Pay can leave the club in a better position just by stepping aside so Holbrook can take over.

Last edited:

aymz maz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
“I need to leave this place in better shape than when I first got here” hmmmmmm

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Pointless article, they should be talking to our 2020 coach about 2021, not our 2019 coach.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
“I need to leave this place in better shape than when I first got here” hmmmmmm
That doesn’t mean anything in his eyes he probably reckons that he’ll be there next year when in reality he won’t

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So he says his main priority is to find a 9 for the 2020 season.
- Jayden Brailey apparently sgned with knights.
- Jake Turpin apparently knocked us back
- Jacob Liddle re signed with Tigers
- Api Korisau might be an option but Warriors going for him hard
Danny Levi is definitely not the answer, bearly an improvement on what we have.

I think he missed the boat on a quality 9 for next year

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
we do need a hooker for the 2020 season, but if we sign anyone except Turpin (or Brailey, but apparently he is going to the Knights, I don't want to sign Koroisau because it helps the Manly cap) I don't think i'll be impressed with who it is.

which young players are we developing? Reimis is our only young player that hasn't been dropped this year afaik. Reimis has also had a very poor season.

when we get our cap sorted we need better players then Dallin. we need at least 1 player that is up there as the best in the game (e.g. Trbojevic, Latrell).

it's impossible to leave the team in better shape than when Pay got here unless he's given the keys to the 2021 roster. I don't care what anyone says, Des more then struggled with a squad that still had its best players, Pay currently has no one. I also believe the best players don't need a good coach to perform.

I give us little to no chance to beat anyone besides the Titans (which I have no clue how they're in a worser position then us, they've just built a bad squad not being under salary cap restrictions). We currently have 5 wins so we're actually doing better then I expected currently.

I think it's safe to say that Foran will never be injury free and it was rumoured that we even tried to medically retire him last year. We've heard enough about IF Foran can be injury free and at this point it is a fact that he can't be. I do agree that he's a good footballer (maybe even worth what we're paying him) when he's on the field tho.

Napa is only playing in the side because of how much he is on (and was also meant to be a big signing). I don't think he should be in the starting side and we should be DEVELOPING Ogden. Napa is an impact player and not worth 650k. If you looked closer towards the end at his time at the Roosters they also saw him as just that. Also he has now lost his origin spot.

Josh Jackson has looked better as the season has gone on. I think he's struggling to play long minutes tho. Doesn't help when we're losing possension and defending for large periods of time.

don't mention Oates unless you're going to sign him.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why can’t we be like Real Madrid, they’ve had like 4 coaches in the last year lol
Big clubs act accordingly, we don’t act like a big club anymore

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why can’t we be like Real Madrid, they’ve had like 4 coaches in the last year lol
Big clubs act accordingly, we don’t act like a big club anymore
Real Madrid can spend endless amounts of money and already have a stacked team. They can get the best coach available and even coaches currently at other clubs. If you come to the Bulldogs now it's borderline suicide to your career. Next year will be better then last and the year after will be ideal - competing for top 8 (Pay coming out saying that himself is realistic and true). That's why we still have Pay.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Real Madrid can spend endless amounts of money and already have a stacked team. They can get the best coach available and even coaches currently at other clubs. If you come to the Bulldogs now it's borderline suicide to your career.
my point is the big clubs don’t tolerate shit performances and failure