News Bulldogs to kick off $3 million spending blitz with retention of key trio

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury have kick-started one of biggest signing sprees in the club’s history as they attempt to retain almost $3 million worth of talent beyond 2020.

On the back of an impressive finish to the 2019 season, NRL.com understands the Bulldogs are set to announce a number of key re-signings in the coming weeks as they look to extend the contracts of at least half a dozen players.
Headlining that list is Kiwi international Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, who is on the verge of announcing a two-year extension at the Bulldogs until the end of 2022.

Watene-Zelezniak, who signed an 18-month contract with Canterbury after departing Penrith mid-season, was a revelation for the Bulldogs since his switch and is expected to be rewarded with a new deal in the coming weeks.

The 24-year-old fullback, who has already played 116 NRL games since his Telstra Premiership debut as a teenager in 2014, finished the year as one of the form players of the competition despite his struggles earlier in the year at the Panthers.
Canterbury are also expected to be bolstered by the retention of Will Hopoate and exciting youngster Reimis Smith - two of Canterbury’s best players in a vastly improved 2019 season
Smith played 23 of the club’s 24 games this season, while Hopoate has played in every game for Canterbury the past two years.

The Bulldogs have also opened discussions with skipper Josh Jackson and Adam Elliott, both now free to accept formal offers from rival clubs as part of the NRL’s November 1 anti-tampering rule.

While negotiations with the pair aren’t as developed as some of the previous names mentioned, the Bulldogs are hopeful both players will re-commit to the club by the time the first ball is kicked in March.

The club has also indicated it would like to retain half Lachlan Lewis, one of 17 Bulldogs players who became free agents on Friday as they come off contract at the end of next season.
Only one player, back-rower Corey Harawira-Naera, is contracted beyond the end of 2021 at the Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs have also been linked with Sydney Roosters superstar Latrell Mitchell, with Fox Sports reporting that a person linked to Canterbury is believed to have met with the Australian centre about a possible switch.

Canterbury are also in the market for Broncos young gun David Fifita about a potential switch despite Brisbane's confidence he will remain at Red Hill.

After a couple of years of struggle, shedding millions of dollars worth of talent, the Bulldogs are finally in a position to be huge players in the marketplace.

Their first priority is to retain the core of the squad they believe will lead the club into a successful new era, with several key announcements expected in the coming weeks

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Elliott’s going to get a monster deal because he’s a senior player isn’t he....

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hahaha next minute members get a email “Elliot commits for 10 years on the same deal as Latrell”

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Elliott &Lewis:coldsweat::coldsweat::coldsweat:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hang on a minute surely we aren’t signing DWZ, Smith and Hoppa on a million a year deals? Or does that include Jackson and Elliott too?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hang on a minute surely we aren’t signing DWZ, Smith and Hoppa on a million a year deals? Or does that include Jackson and Elliott too?
Hoppa/DWZ 550k
Smith 300k

Surely we aren't offering them anymore than that?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Thought you rated Lewis
Lol. He defenitely deserved the opportunity, but fuck me I want a half that can run and ball play and not just make tackles. Scenes when Latrell has a melt down because he isn't getting Keary like ball from Lewis lol.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please,please, pleeeeaaaasseee not the Idiot

Please?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah that would be the ball park numbers you’d want.
Ideally I'd only want DWZ and Hoppa on around 450k with Smith on 250k... probably not happening.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lol. He defenitely deserved the opportunity, but fuck me I want a half that can run and ball play and not just make tackles. Scenes when Latrell has a melt down because he isn't getting Keary like ball from Lewis lol.
I’d keep him and play with Wakeham when Foran is gone.
I think if we did end up with Mitchell we would have some great combinations, RFM could run riot with Mitchell.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Nice to see most of the kennel still has a hate hard on for Elliott..... lol

He’ll sign on for a decent wage without costing an arm and a leg and he will offer value for that money.

I’m glad the kennel critics aren’t running the club.

I look forward to the day he recommits and the kennel collectively blows a gasket :D

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ideally I'd only want DWZ and Hoppa on around 450k with Smith on 250k... probably not happening.
Yeah I don’t like the chances of keeping them for that paying a little bit more would still be ok.