News Bulldogs tipped for late Benji Marshall play after Burton release attempt falls through

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People saying averillo ia still raw for fullback clearly never saw ben barba coming through lol
I saw Barber coming through and Folksie wouldnt play him so he and his manager bitched for a season and even then , whilst his attack was excellent, he was a woeful defender for about a season and a half. I rate averillo but i would prefer he starts in centres versus FB or 5/8

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lad on Facebook seems confident we will get Marshall.said we will know within 2 weeks
Having his little brother here will help, and benji wouldn’t say no if we offered him the chance to go out on a high and finish his career along side Jmk and winning the GF :tongueclosed: One massive fairy tale ending (it’s a win win) !!

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having his little brother here will help, and benji wouldn’t say no if we offered him the chance to go out on a high and finish his career along side Jmk and winning the GF :tongueclosed: One massive fairy tale ending (it’s a win win) !!
Playing along side his younger brother might be cool but not too sure about winning a Grand Final in our colours.
He is a stop gap 12 month solution at best in my opinion.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Playing along side his younger brother might be cool but not too sure about winning a Grand Final in our colours.
He is a stop gap 12 month solution at best in my opinion.
Bro... I was just trying to be enthusiastic and bring some good vibes giving it’s Xmas time and nearly the end of 2020, GF or not. Will still be awesome to witness, and stop gap or not, I won’t mind benji in the blue an white at all. In fact I’m all for it for 12 months..!!!

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bro... I was just trying to be enthusiastic and bring some good vibes giving it’s Xmas time and nearly the end of 2020, GF or not. Will still be awesome to witness, and stop gap or not, I won’t mind benji in the blue an white at all. In fact I’m all for it for 12 months..!!!
No offence intended mate, all good
i am also super keen for season 2021 to roll around and watch a much improved team.
If TB wants him well then fair enough

Woofwoof1980

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Benji will provide good ball to our outside backs. Still has a wicked pass and he takes on the line putting doubt in defensive lines. I actually watched a fair bit of his play last season.... had a few stinkers but overall he was solid. He has lost a lot of pace and that wicked step. I reckon if he comes Baz will use Avo at 5/8 and Benji off the bench as a backup if Jake is struggling.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Think it was more Kevin Moore who was giving him limited opportunities. Not so much Folksey.
The famous niff nuff line about the kennel came from Folkes holding Barba back in 2008. Bloke was a kid and didn’t deserve to play Fg full time like Averillo

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The famous niff nuff line about the kennel came from Folkes holding Barba back in 2008. Bloke was a kid and didn’t deserve to play Fg full time like Averillo
I remember the year before barba killed it he couldn’t catch a bomb and i was at a members day and a little kid asked ben ,why cant you catch any bombs lol was so funny

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In reality, Averillo doesn't add any more than Meaney as fullback. He is a half, nothing else.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Given Baz was a 5/8 hopefully this will all be worked out by him and the coaching team, f me this thread has some traction and rehashing of the same shit over and over again :tearsofjoy:

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
In reality, Averillo doesn't add any more than Meaney as fullback. He is a half, nothing else.
This is getting pretty frustrating.

There isn't a path for him at the club in the halves, but he has enough raw talent to find a spot for him in the side.

Best case scenario, he owns the fullback role. Worst case scenario he doesn't. At least we have an answer.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to Averillo at 14 next year rather than straight into full back, but we don’t have the depth so put him at full back and hope he is a confident enough to organise defence. It appeared he has some good instincts and hopefully can support better than what we have scene in the last few years. Our spine is shit for next year hopefully he can be a spark.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
How about widdop?
If we do buy a veteran Benji will be him, let him compete with Avo during the season for the right price and no guarantee either will play first grade

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

There isn't a path for him at the club in the halves, but he has enough raw talent to find a spot for him in the side.

Best case scenario, he owns the fullback role. Worst case scenario he doesn't. At least we have an answer.
It's Speedy, of course it's frustrating :tearsofjoy:

As I've said multiple times on here people need to stop focusing on positions and instead focus on roles. The role Jake plays @ fullback could very well be very similar to that of 5/8.

People also need to accept that fact that he IS going to struggle and may or may not play every game at fullback or even play at all...but that doesn't mean he isn't going to be successful long-term for us.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Everything Averillo does indicates he is a half. Only Barrett will decide that or not.
He has all the attributes to develop into a good half. I know Burton is coming, but in the mean time
there doesnt appear to be anyone else to fill in at 5/8. I'm not sure what you mean by there being no path.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Everything Averillo does indicates he is a half. Only Barrett will decide that or not.
He has all the attributes to develop into a good half. I know Burton is coming, but in the mean time
there doesnt appear to be anyone else to fill in at 5/8. I'm not sure what you mean by there being no path.
Let's assume everyone is injury free, let's also assume Averillo develops on a fairly steady trajectory playing at 5/8 in 21:
What happens when Burton gets here?