Bulldogs target Panthers young gun Charlie Staines for 2021

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That assumption that were going after Burton is also based on Finchie saying that were talking to him (as well as Nasheed and Holland). By only offering Foran/Green/Benji a 1 year deal we must be confident in getting Burton or someone else like him

I intentionally left Lewis off the halves list because he is not, and will never be, a 7. The whole issue of Baz calling Lewis is a non-issue for me. He's contacting all players on contract for 21 so it's a standard thing. Telling Lewis he "has a few things to work on" is the understatement of the century - only thing he needs to work on is packing his bags and pissing off - along with the morons that extended him for 1 year

If Baz saw that Tolman, Montoya and Holland needed to go, as did the fans, then obviously he knows Lewis is in the same category so he'll be gone next year
Well time will tell, us fans can only hope and keep making our fantasy teams that may not happen!
Holland and Nasheed! :laughing:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I barely watch non-Bulldogs games anymore so I have no idea who Mitch Kenny is - I actually thought he was a dud hooker.
Penrith have so many friggin good players, while we have so few, it's ridiculous. I honestly wouldn't be suprised if their CC side flogged our NRL side
Yeah man that's 100% true. They could play all their reserves and slap us in the final round. Eg. 1. Staines/Laurie, 6. Burton, 7. May, 9. Kenny. Still slaps our spine even if Foran was fit lol

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Johns and Fittler also discussed the future of two other off-contract young stars, Penrith's Charlie Staines and Manly's Albert Hopoate.

Staines, who scored four tries on the wing in an incredible NRL debut for the Panthers this season, will move on and become a fullback at the Bulldogs, Johns has predicted.

"I don't think he'll stay, I think he'll move. I think he'll end up at the Bulldogs," Johns said.

Brad Fittler predicted Staines would re-sign at Penrith but Johns asked what position he could feasibly take in the first-placed NRL side.

Fittler responded: "I think they've got a future for him. I think Burton's the one that'll move on, Matt Burton."

Johns: "You've got [Josh] Mansour and [Brian] To'o on the wings, do you see him (Staines) as a fullback? Dylan Edwards has got long-term aspirations to fill that position."

Fittler: "I think he (Staines) will be fullback."

Bear in mind the source is Andrew Johns, so he might be smoking Nasheed.

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Johns and Fittler also discussed the future of two other off-contract young stars, Penrith's Charlie Staines and Manly's Albert Hopoate.

Staines, who scored four tries on the wing in an incredible NRL debut for the Panthers this season, will move on and become a fullback at the Bulldogs, Johns has predicted.

"I don't think he'll stay, I think he'll move. I think he'll end up at the Bulldogs," Johns said.

Brad Fittler predicted Staines would re-sign at Penrith but Johns asked what position he could feasibly take in the first-placed NRL side.

Fittler responded: "I think they've got a future for him. I think Burton's the one that'll move on, Matt Burton."

Johns: "You've got [Josh] Mansour and [Brian] To'o on the wings, do you see him (Staines) as a fullback? Dylan Edwards has got long-term aspirations to fill that position."

Fittler: "I think he (Staines) will be fullback."

Bear in mind the source is Andrew Johns, so he might be smoking Nasheed.
So they are pushing Edwards out? Would prefer Edwards to Staines anyway Tbh

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So they are pushing Edwards out? Would prefer Edwards to Staines anyway Tbh
Edwards has been huge. Never really rated him that highly but his stats have been impressive.

Last week he ran for 338m, 114 post contact metres, 9 tackle breaks.
Precious week ran for 299m, 87 post contact metres, 5 tackle breaks.

All cylinders are firing at the Panthers which helps

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Edwards has been huge. Never really rated him that highly but his stats have been impressive.

Last week he ran for 338m, 114 post contact metres, 9 tackle breaks.
Precious week ran for 299m, 87 post contact metres, 5 tackle breaks.

All cylinders are firing at the Panthers which helps
I think Edwards would struggle to have any sort of meaningful impact with us. At Penrith they have an extremely dominant half in Cleary, Luai supporting him and Api at dh. Edwards would be considered their 4th string playmaker but pretty much has almost no playmaking responsibility and his role is focused more on providing high energy on and off the ball. It works at Penrith but for us no chance.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think we are a really good chance for both Staines and Burton. The longer we don't hear that they have re-signed with the Panthers the more chance we are. Staines' manager has already said they are waiting until November 1 so they can test the market. That's a great sign for us. Also the outstanding form of Cleary and Lui is great for us as well. Burton is too good a player to just be waiting for an injury to get a run. He isn't even in the top 17. Fingers crossed that their TBaz connection and a lack of opportunity at Penrith sees them land at the Bulldogs. They could form half of our spine for many years to come

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton, Staines and B Smith and our team changes IMMEDIATELY, maybe even top 8 “chance” which I’d take right now.

throw in Furner now as assistant coach it’s all positive.

mid we have cash after these 3, Id have a dash at a decent prop.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think whoever we have a Fullback needs to be able to ball play he needs a good passing game. Can't be just a runner. Unless we have two capable halves that are doing that each side of the ruck we need the extra variety in attack. With Foran we were too predicable. Opposition teams just had to keep and eye on Tolman and what side of the field Foran was on to read the plays.

Hoppa is the only player that has done that from the back the last few years (if only he had more speed) and possibly the only other player that could do it would be Averillo. Both Meaney and DWZ do not have passing games.

Does Staines have a passing game or is he more of a runner?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think whoever we have a Fullback needs to be able to ball play he needs a good passing game. Can't be just a runner. Unless we have two capable halves that are doing that each side of the ruck we need the extra variety in attack. With Foran we were too predicable. Opposition teams just had to keep and eye on Tolman and what side of the field Foran was on to read the plays.

Hoppa is the only player that has done that from the back the last few years (if only he had more speed) and possibly the only other player that could do it would be Averillo. Both Meaney and DWZ do not have passing games.

Does Staines have a passing game or is he more of a runner?
He has a passing game for sure. He's probably been the best fullback in the lower grades for a few years.