Bulldogs target Panthers young gun Charlie Staines for 2021

Bulldogs_4eva

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Panthers youngster Charlie Staines asking for a $2 million deal

Staines is reportedly seeking a four-year deal worth a total of $2 million deal from NRL clubs, according to Fox Sports’ James Hooper.

He has wasted no time testing his value in the market after given permission to negotiate by the Panthers.

Staines is currently sidelined due to a hamstring injury suffered during his side’s win over Manly on August 1.

The 19-year-old has scored six tries from the two games, showing he has all the tools to be a quality NRL player.

There is set to be plenty of clubs queuing up to try and sign the young gun.

Staines’ best position is fullback, which explains why his agent has come up with the $2 million price tag.

HMM not sure how I feel about this, personally $300 - $350 for 2years is ok and if he plays well then we can up the price because he has not played FB in FG as yet so still untested ... but I am sure Baz will know what to offer him so let's watch this space???? Up the DOGGIESSSS!
Agreed $330k for a rookies for me is overs but to bring him here sounds ok however 2yrs is fine and if he is a gun at FB than re sign for a higher amount

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is this too much to ask for
1 Staines
2 DWZ
3 Cotric
4 Hopoate
5 Averillo
6 Burton
7 Green
8 Pangai jr
9 Smith
10 Ogden
11 Doorey
12 RFM
13 Jackson

14 JMK
15 Elliott
16 To'omaga
17 Hetherington
Grand final 2021 here we come :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bear in mind the Titans signed Tino for 700k before this season. That contract is a steal now. The Knights did the same thing with Ponga. The Warriors tried to sign Dylan Brown for 600k before he'd played one FG game and that would have been worth it in hindsight.

I'd take a chance on Staines at 450k... People also need to understand he isn't a winger and has been a dominant fullback his whole junior career. He's one of the best young players in the competition. So he's not your average overhyped youngster.

Last edited:

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He could be worth it . People scoffed when the Knights initially signed Ponga after 2 games for 650k. Look at what a bargain that turned out to be. If he is a fullback then it could work out to be a bargain.

There is always the risk though that it turns out to be another Brad Abbey moment though.
I’d pay it too tbh. Pity we threw that coin at Green though.
Should still have some room to make a play.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
1 Staines
2 DWZ
3 Cotric
4 Hopoate
5 Averillo
6 Burton
7 Green
8 Pangai jr
9 Smith
10 Ogden
11 Doorey
12 RFM
13 Jackson

14 JMK
15 Elliott
16 To'omaga
17 Hetherington
Grand final 2021 here we come :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
It shouldn’t be tbh

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ponga is in a different class though. If I'm not mistaken he played at state level in rugby, afl and basketball as well as league. He is an out and out freak!!!
True his not in the same class as Ponga , but this kid has big wraps on him as well. I probably think that the length of the contract is more the risk than the actual amount. Had it been 2 seasons I would happily roll the dice based on there not being any quality number 1 available.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
True his not in the same class as Ponga , but this kid has big wraps on him as well. I probably think that the length of the contract is more the risk than the actual amount. Had it been 2 seasons I would happily roll the dice based on there not being any quality number 1 available.
Id consider a scaled contract, first year 350k, second 400k, third, 450k and fourth 500k. Maybe even some oncentives for rep footy. Thats fair imo.
Also, if he is as good as everyone thinks, he may well sell himself short and decide after 2 years he wants more or he will cry for a release.
Theres just too many unknowns to give a rookie a 4 year contract. His manager is dreaming!!! Imagine if we signed meaney on say 350k for 4 years? Even the great Sherwin struggled after signing a 4 year deal. And Allzbulldog would be screaming from the top of his soap box.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Id consider a scaled contract, first year 350k, second 400k, third, 450k and fourth 500k. Maybe even some oncentives for rep footy. Thats fair imo.
Also, if he is as good as everyone thinks, he may well sell himself short and decide after 2 years he wants more or he will cry for a release.
Theres just too many unknowns to give a rookie a 4 year contract. His manager is dreaming!!! Imagine if we signed meaney on say 350k for 4 years? Even the great Sherwin struggled after signing a 4 year deal. And Allzbulldog would be screaming from the top of his soap box.
Shifty signed for five years. But I agree, a four year deal for a young prospect like him doesn't make sense for the club or Staines.

The only person that would benefit is the agent with the commission from a four year deal. Who knows if there's even any truth to it. It could just be more Hooper garbage.

Whatever Staines does, it's more likely he signs a two or three year deal for his next contract.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Shifty signed for five years. But I agree, a four year deal for a young prospect like him doesn't make sense for the club or Staines.

The only person that would benefit is the agent with the commission from a four year deal. Who knows if there's even any truth to it. It could just be more Hooper garbage.

Whatever Staines does, it's more likely he signs a two or three year deal for his next contract.
Thats exactly what its about! His agent wanting money NOW!!!

Bluebarry

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1 Staines
2 DWZ
3 Cotric
4 Hopoate
5 Averillo
6 Burton
7 Green
8 Pangai jr
9 Smith
10 Ogden
11 Doorey
12 RFM
13 Jackson

14 JMK
15 Elliott
16 To'omaga
17 Hetherington
Maybe if this happens as well , like season ending injuries in Rd one to ,
Tedesco , Cleary, Reynolds and the rest of the A Lister's lol , nah just kidding bro hope is what keeps us coming back every week look forward to it coming true though

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
On Facebook Staines mum arced uo and said it's all ridiculous and BS. I believe her

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People saying he only finishes off and backs up.
Are going to get embarrassed when they see him play a couple of full seasons at fullback.
Meaney has nothing on this kid.
But our club and fans love being mediocre, so i say hes no chance of being in the clubs sights.
Too much upside to him to come play for us.
We will probably take edwards who is a terrible balance for our team so staines can stay and strenghen penrith.
Thats the shit our board does.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's no substitute for speed ...

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What’s Staines dome to deserve a 500k contract per season
Played a couple of games....
Worlds gone mad

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What’s Staines dome to deserve a 500k contract per season
Played a couple of games....
Worlds gone mad
Ponga had multiple highlight reels, this guy guy has a ~1 minute video showing he's lightning fast and has good support play. Isn't going to do anything for a team that can't get him into space or create. I'm not even sold even if it was for 300k, I'm yet to see what he brings that Meaney doesn't. Anyone on the wing for that Panthers team would (literally almost all of them, go re watch, it's the other players around him) of scored the tries Staines has. Also never heard of this guy before his NRL debut (at least with Ponga and Grant there was a lot of hype). Burton's the impressive one (even in Staines highlight reel!).

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We should be targeting all good young prospects including Staines. 400K per year not completely insane for someone who looks promising with incredible speed. Green was a terrible choice, if we were going for experience or a gap year filler, they should have persisted with Foran.