Bulldogs target Panthers young gun Charlie Staines for 2021

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I’m not sold on Staines, finishes of a few backline plays by putting ball over the line
I haven’t seen anything brilliant yet
Sure his good, but the some on here are frothing on him is ridiculous
I was the same as you, but then watched his juniors highlights and Burton's. They link very well together. What impressed me most in his debut was the pass he made on his inside at full pace to set up a try, incredibly crisp and not easy to hit at pace. Kids got that natural instinct like Addo-Carr. Meaney is quick to, be he lacks in that game sense like these guys.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m not sold on Staines, finishes of a few backline plays by putting ball over the line
I haven’t seen anything brilliant yet
Sure his good, but the some on here are frothing on him is ridiculous
His tries were not exactly walk overs and his first try assist was Addo-Carr like. What we probably haven't seen is much of his defense....

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I felt the same after his game where he bagged 4 tries, then I saw the game he scored an absolute pearler in the corner - he later went off injured, the kid’s a player.

I would love a possible spine of

1) Staines
6) Burton
7) Foran ( for experience)
9) B Smith
14) Averillo

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t reckon Penrith will let him go . Dylan Edwards is a solid fullback but nothing special. They might see Staines as their long term fullback

Thats the problem with targeting guys like Staines and Burton. They would be on next to nothing at Penrith so letting them go doesn’t really help them salary cap wise . If Luai or Cleary went down in round 1 next year they have Burton for cover
I agree Edwards is more a solid back up nothing fantastic. They done also have Tyrone May in the halves who is a pretty good player so I think Burton is further down the pecking order and could be a real chance of moving on.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After 2mil over 4 years ......
He could be worth it . People scoffed when the Knights initially signed Ponga after 2 games for 650k. Look at what a bargain that turned out to be. If he is a fullback then it could work out to be a bargain.

There is always the risk though that it turns out to be another Brad Abbey moment though.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He could be worth it . People scoffed when the Knights initially signed Ponga after 2 games for 650k. Look at what a bargain that turned out to be. If he is a fullback then it could work out to be a bargain.

There is always the risk though that it turns out to be another Brad Abbey moment though.
I'd pay it... What choice do we have really.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I felt the same after his game where he bagged 4 tries, then I saw the game he scored an absolute pearler in the corner - he later went off injured, the kid’s a player.

I would love a possible spine of

1) Staines
6) Burton
7) Foran ( for experience)
9) B Smith
14) Averillo
why are you mentioning Foran? he is not being re signed, the club has already said this.
Staines is worth the risk for sure.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Green 7
Burton 6
Staines 1
Fainu 9
Tamou 8
Leutelle 3
That would be great for 2021

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Green 7
Burton 6
Staines 1
Fainu 9
Tamou 8
Leutelle 3
That would be great for 2021
Leutelle has just signed with the Storm (thankfully) and Fainu cant play until his court date which I think is sometime in July-August next year - thats assumming he avoids going to jail
Apart from that, good team

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Zerotackle Staines’ agent is looking for a 4 year $2m deal. No away this kid is worth that much after 2 games

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Ponga is in a different class though. If I'm not mistaken he played at state level in rugby, afl and basketball as well as league. He is an out and out freak!!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Ponga is in a different class though. If I'm not mistaken he played at state level in rugby, afl and basketball as well as league. He is an out and out freak!!!
Hey man I did similar when I was younger, where's my multi million dollar contract :tearsofjoy:

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Panthers youngster Charlie Staines asking for a $2 million deal

Staines is reportedly seeking a four-year deal worth a total of $2 million deal from NRL clubs, according to Fox Sports’ James Hooper.

He has wasted no time testing his value in the market after given permission to negotiate by the Panthers.

Staines is currently sidelined due to a hamstring injury suffered during his side’s win over Manly on August 1.

The 19-year-old has scored six tries from the two games, showing he has all the tools to be a quality NRL player.

There is set to be plenty of clubs queuing up to try and sign the young gun.

Staines’ best position is fullback, which explains why his agent has come up with the $2 million price tag.

HMM not sure how I feel about this, personally $300 - $350 for 2years is ok and if he plays well then we can up the price because he has not played FB in FG as yet so still untested ... but I am sure Baz will know what to offer him so let's watch this space???? Up the DOGGIESSSS!