Bulldogs Stats for 2019

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Looks like Lewis did most of the kicking, and only played 2 extra games than Foran

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
In unhappy news, the Bulldogs conceded the most post-contact metres of any side in 2019 with 512m on average.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Would like to see a comparison for post-contact metres conceded between first half of season and second half of season...

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I remember we were dead last half way through the season and most people agreed we needed a new coach.

I also believe we had a dead cat bounce towards the end of the season the same as the year before.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Stats are inline with what I saw watching last season.
3 wins from 14 games killed the season by the half way point.
Hopefully we see a much improvided start to the season in 2020.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
2020 can only be better.!!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cant break tackles, poor post contact meters, 56 tries total? Wtf didn’t even know that was possible. That’s horrid :p Morris and Goodwin had 42 between them in 09 and we had 56 or something in total :sweat:

Poor middle defence. Most contact meters against.

To be honest we grossly overachiever to finish where we did. Our late run in the last 2 season glossed over a lot of our issues. But because of that form it gives the coach and board ammunition that we are on the rise.

Statistically we aren’t competitive. And roster wise there aren’t many worst teams.

Yet we go about by locking up the likes of Lewis who isn’t a half full stop, I don’t even know why. Maybe because he is a Lewis?

I have mentioned it before. I’m happy to write off 2020. But if we aren’t a strong team by 2021 (that’s what the board and ceo led us to believe with their propaganda). Then no one survives. Not the coach, not the board, not the players.

When you look at those stats you can tell the team isn’t good enough. So unless we start upgrading our rosters we won’t improve. Hopefully the board doesn’t think Britt, leilua, katoa etc is what we need :sweat:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Cant break tackles, poor post contact meters, 56 tries total? Wtf didn’t even know that was possible. That’s horrid :p Morris and Goodwin had 42 between them in 09 and we had 56 or something in total :sweat:

To be honest we grossly overachiever to finish where we did. Our late run in the last 2 season glossed over a lot of our issues. But because of that form it gives the coach and board ammunition that we are on the rise.

Statistically we aren’t competitive. And roster wise there aren’t many worst teams.

Yet we go about by locking up the likes of Lewis who isn’t a half full stop, I don’t even know why. Maybe because he is a Lewis?

I have mentioned it before. I’m happy to write off 2020. But if we aren’t a strong team by 2021 (that’s what the board and ceo led us to believe with their propaganda). Then no one survives. Not the coach, not the board, not the players.

When you look at those stats you can tell the team isn’t good enough. So unless we start upgrading our rosters we won’t improve. Hopefully the board doesn’t think Britt, leilua, katoa etc is what we need :sweat:
We have money to spend. A little bit going into next season and a lot going into 2021. You'd think we have to spend it (we have to some way or another). It'll just depend how and who. Our team is honestly 2m (at least) under the salary cap after retaining players. That's due to back ended contracts and paying players to play at other clubs. We should be a top eight team if we recruit properly for 2021. If we get everything right it'll be another three to five years post 2021 until we're up their with the Roosters and Storm (maybe also Raiders now) - a dominant top four team. This is because we're going to have a lot of player on overs (or a courple on big contracts) and we need to be in a position where we can resign and recruit like a top team (for value or less). If we get everything wrong we basically restart to process.

Last edited:

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We have money to spend. A little bit going into next season and a lot going into 2021. You'd think we have to spend it (we have to some way or another). It'll just depend how and who. Our team is honestly 2m (at least) under the salary cap after retaining players. That's due to back ended contracts and paying players to play at other clubs. We should be a top eight team if we recruit properly for 2021. If we get everything right it'll be another three to five years post 2021 until we're up their with the Roosters and Storm (maybe also Raiders now) - a dominant top four team. This is because we're going to have a lot of player on overs (or a courple on big contracts) and we need to be in a position where we can resign and recruit like a top team (for value or less). If we get everything wrong we basically restart to process.
Yeh totally agree. Any semi professional administrator would smash is out of the park. Open roster spots and money to burn. We did the right thing in shedding all the dead wood that Hasler stupidly paid over for. And his final gift should be gone by 2021 (Foran)

So like you said if we can’t recruit smartly and bring in both competent first graders/rep players and rising stars then the board, coach and CEO have failed miserably, just as bad if not worse then dib and castle.

If we aren’t a top 4 team (something we haven’t done since 2012) by middle of the next decade then the powers that be fucked up hugely.

I do admire some moves the board made. The return of Mark Hughes for one resonated with me. The mending with the Hughes clan. They did bring some of the family club back.

But bullfrog built some of the toughest teams over his years. And was a master negotiator. If our vision moving forward is Lewis, Elliott, tolman, Britt and katoa. I would be hugely disappointed.

We cant judge and criticise at the moment because none of us on here honestly know the vision of the club. So that’s why I am happy to wait until 2021. Give them 12 more months to make their moves. But if we aren’t competitive or a top 8 team in 2021 and aren’t a top 4 team beyond that and be in the conversation with the roosters and raiders and storm and co. Then no one involved with the club deserves to retain their position.

We lived through 3 years of park footballers representing our famous club because of gross mismanagement of previous staff and administrators. We put up with it because of the story line that the board “made the tough choices” and it will get worse before it gets better. So if the better doesn’t start in 2021 and they don’t deliver something to bring the fans some joy. Then they all deserve the sack from staff, to coaches to players.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Well articulated - I don’t think there’d be too many who’d disagree with this.

So let’s hope for decent improvement in 2020 and major overhaul / improvement for 2021.

Agree totally - if the results don’t come by 2021, a clean out will be required everywhere - board room, locker room and coaches box.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeh totally agree. Any semi professional administrator would smash is out of the park. Open roster spots and money to burn. We did the right thing in shedding all the dead wood that Hasler stupidly paid over for. And his final gift should be gone by 2021 (Foran)

So like you said if we can’t recruit smartly and bring in both competent first graders/rep players and rising stars then the board, coach and CEO have failed miserably, just as bad if not worse then dib and castle.

If we aren’t a top 4 team (something we haven’t done since 2012) by middle of the next decade then the powers that be fucked up hugely.

I do admire some moves the board made. The return of Mark Hughes for one resonated with me. The mending with the Hughes clan. They did bring some of the family club back.

But bullfrog built some of the toughest teams over his years. And was a master negotiator. If our vision moving forward is Lewis, Elliott, tolman, Britt and katoa. I would be hugely disappointed.

We cant judge and criticise at the moment because none of us on here honestly know the vision of the club. So that’s why I am happy to wait until 2021. Give them 12 more months to make their moves. But if we aren’t competitive or a top 8 team in 2021 and aren’t a top 4 team beyond that and be in the conversation with the roosters and raiders and storm and co. Then no one involved with the club deserves to retain their position.

We lived through 3 years of park footballers representing our famous club because of gross mismanagement of previous staff and administrators. We put up with it because of the story line that the board “made the tough choices” and it will get worse before it gets better. So if the better doesn’t start in 2021 and they don’t deliver something to bring the fans some joy. Then they all deserve the sack from staff, to coaches to players.
100% agree - great post.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Stats can be a funny thing that sometimes tell a different story. Post contact meters for example we were 2nd in 2018 (with Klemmer) and 12th this year and yet we still finished top 3 metres gained per set in 2019 without him. Tries conceded from penalty's we were the 4th worst and yet only 9th in total penalty's conceded. We also finished top 3 for meters gained from kicks.

No.1 for completed sets but second last this year for tackle breaks and last in 2018 for the same, No.1 for meters gained from offloads but worst for the same against us....?

So that tells me we can hang onto the ball for 6 tackles better than most, cant bust tackles one on one but are pretty good at making ground from offloads. We are shit at defending after giving away penalty's when it really counts, struggle to wrap the ball up in tackles, and we are coming from too far back in our own half starting our sets which explains why we have the biggest kick gains.

We had two things change from about June, we got a genuine tackle breaker in DWZ and we found some attitude in defence won a couple of games and found some belief. I would love to see the stats from June to last round because I bet we had significant improvement in defence numbers and tackle busts.

We appear lack play the ball speed from a Cameron Murray or a Payne Haas type, and are missing an extra tackle breaker especially coming out of our own end like a Semi R or Blake Ferguson. If we have money to spend I would try for an x factor winger or centre and a damaging young forward with a super quick play the ball and an offload. We seem capable of putting offload plays together so with a quicker play the ball and a couple of DWZ type tackle breakers we should see more try's and points. That said, I am sure the "world is ending" brigade will say no Foran so we are fucked.., but I think with the players we have and the ones recruited particularly Stimson and with hopefully an another tackle breaker like DWZ coming to us things might be better than you think.

It also says in my opinion that effective and painful DEFENCE should be our our No.1 priority to build everything else around and it must be on the money in round 1.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Stats can be a funny thing that sometimes tell a different story. Post contact meters for example we were 2nd in 2018 (with Klemmer) and 12th this year and yet we still finished top 3 metres gained per set in 2019 without him. Tries conceded from penalty's we were the 4th worst and yet only 9th in total penalty's conceded. We also finished top 3 for meters gained from kicks.

No.1 for completed sets but second last this year for tackle breaks and last in 2018 for the same, No.1 for meters gained from offloads but worst for the same against us....?

So that tells me we can hang onto the ball for 6 tackles better than most, cant bust tackles one on one but are pretty good at making ground from offloads. We are shit at defending after giving away penalty's when it really counts, struggle to wrap the ball up in tackles, and we are coming from too far back in our own half starting our sets which explains why we have the biggest kick gains.

We had two things change from about June, we got a genuine tackle breaker in DWZ and we found some attitude in defence won a couple of games and found some belief. I would love to see the stats from June to last round because I bet we had significant improvement in defence numbers and tackle busts.

We appear lack play the ball speed from a Cameron Murray or a Payne Haas type, and are missing an extra tackle breaker especially coming out of our own end like a Semi R or Blake Ferguson. If we have money to spend I would try for an x factor winger or centre and a damaging young forward with a super quick play the ball and an offload. We seem capable of putting offload plays together so with a quicker play the ball and a couple of DWZ type tackle breakers we should see more try's and points. That said, I am sure the "world is ending" brigade will say no Foran so we are fucked.., but I think with the players we have and the ones recruited particularly Stimson and with hopefully an another tackle breaker like DWZ coming to us things might be better than you think.

It also says in my opinion that effective and painful DEFENCE should be our our No.1 priority to build everything else around and it must be on the money in round 1.
Defence is overrated.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

No.1 for completed sets but second last this year for tackle breaks and last in 2018 for the same, No.1 for meters gained from offloads but worst for the same against us....
Klem can make post contact metres, but he fucks it up for the next runner cos he takes so long to get to the play the ball after he's stopped, giving the defence ample time to get back.

We probably finished so high in metres gained from kicks because that's just about all we do on 5th tackle is kick the shit out of it. We rarely succeed in running it on the last, our lack of line breaks counts toward this.

Thank CHN for the offloads.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Klem can make post contact metres, but he fucks it up for the next runner cos he takes so long to get to the play the ball after he's stopped, giving the defence ample time to get back
I 100 % agree with you thats why I quoted it. Klem would mostly hit the line, turn and struggle backwards another 5-10 metres hardly ever offloading in traffic and dying with the ball for ages on the ground. I think the post contact metres stat can be misinterpreted..Loved him but not sad his $800k slow ass his now at Newcastle.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Defence is overrated.
Overrated?? Ok so the Rorters were second (14.2) only to the Storm (12.1) last year in points conceded and won the comp, have been in the top defences for the past 5 or 6 years pretty much and have been in the GF or there about over that time. The Storm have been at the top of the defence tables for years and I think from memory they have gone pretty well also with some nice silverware.

We ended up with 19.9 average for the year but for the last 10 rounds we averaged just 13.9 and won 7 from 10..

Yep, overrated.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Overrated?? Ok so the Rorters were second (14.2) only to the Storm (12.1) last year in points conceded and won the comp, have been in the top defences for the past 5 or 6 years pretty much and have been in the GF or there about over that time. The Storm have been at the top of the defence tables for years and I think from memory they have gone pretty well also with some nice silverware.

We ended up with 19.9 average for the year but for the last 10 rounds we averaged just 13.9 and won 7 from 10..

Yep, overrated.
Yes, overrated. Because Lewis.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there's a stat for the "average time the ball takes to reach the second receivers hands after a play-the-ball", we'd be last by a country mile. That extra few metres for the opposition defence, created by our shit dummy half and first receiver clearances, is the main reason we can't score tries. I thought we got some bloke last year to work with the players on the basics of footy! Passing off the ground, catch and pass... pretty simple concepts for most NRL players, especially dummy halves and first receivers.

I guess there's always Renouf, Wakeham, Averillo, and the eternal hope of the off season to keep me going.