Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
YOU reckon Des Hasler’s a tough coach?

You should listen to Moses Mbye talk about his mum.

In an age when so many young footballers walk around with so many hang-ups, this young Bulldog is a breath of fresh air for the game of rugby league.

Full of confidence yet in no way arrogant, it is easy to see why the 22-year-old who grew up without knowing his father has already been hailed a future captain of the family club Canterbury.

“Mum thinks she is Des Hasler,” Mbye laughed, describing a woman who raised three boys on her own in the town of Tewantin on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast.

“Seriously, she thinks she can coach better than Des.

“I have a book of Mum’s advice. She is all over it.

“She has analysed Wayne Bennett a couple of times.

“She says, ‘Des has got to do this’, ‘Des has got to do that’.

“I go, ‘yeah, yeah, Mum, you’re on the money’.

“Smile and nod, mate. Smile and nod.”

Moses Mbye on the burst for the Bulldogs. Picture: Gregg Porteous

Jokes aside, without his mum Kay, Mbye says he wouldn’t have grown into the young man he is today.

The one Bulldogs fans are counting on to lead them into another NRL finals series.

“We are pretty confident people and we were raised to be really quite independent,” he said.

“Mum played a really big role, she is two parents.

“She is a pretty strong lady and she has had us three boys by herself so we learned to do a few things.”

And Mbye has showed that he learns fast.

At the start of this season, there probably wasn’t a young player in the game under more pressure.

Given Canterbury’s proud winning history and the fact almost every expert had written them off as top-eight contenders.

Most of the questions related to their giant pack struggling with the interchange reduction, and whether Mbye and halves partner Josh Reynolds had it in them to lead the team after Trent Hodkinson’s move to Newcastle.

But to their credit, Mbye and Reynolds formed a strong partnership as the Bulldogs worked their way up the ladder to be sitting fourth before Saturday night’s showdown against Wests Tigers.

“The main pressure was I guess wearing the jersey of the past players,” Mbye said.

Moses Mbye makes a break for the Bulldogs against the Broncos.

“There has been quality number sevens in this club.

“You know, Turvey (Steve Mortimer) was here and then Terry Lamb came along.

“(Brent) Sherwin took them to a premiership, and Hodkinson came in and played State of Origin and a couple of grand finals.

“For me, it was like I have got to really pick up where they left off.

“I pretty much put the most pressure on myself.”

Asked if three straight wins have proven the Bulldogs are worthy contenders this year, Mbye predicted the best was still to come.

“We have slotted into the four, the goal now is to stay there,” he said.

“We have managed to string a couple of wins together.

“Three is good. Four will be even better.

“I still don’t think we have strung an 80-minute performance together.

“But we have showed some patches of good quality football and the quality we are able to play. The focus for us is probably executing that for 80 minutes.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/50f1526f6862798d904cbb21cca40e12

Status
Not open for further replies.