1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

WWOS MOLE Bulldogs sign Sione Katoa from Panthers

Discussion in 'Rumour Archive' started by cyborg66, Sep 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue & White Dynamite

Blue & White Dynamite Forum Regular Gilded

Not fussed on the signing, however, the part I’m most excited about is “Lichaa is not expected to be re-signed” Nuff said...

2. AlphaPapaBravo

AlphaPapaBravo Immortal

Yep Lussick has been really good this year. Dunno what he's going to do though as his mate Hastings is leaving for Wigan. Would have been way better signing than Katoa

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. craigo

craigo Forum Regular

Remember when mike said we signed api. Yeah that deal was non existent

4. Gabe

Gabe Forum Regular

For young players with no NRL experience like Robson in this instance it would primarily be a footballing decision:
    - Development opportunities and pathway to NRL game time.

We don't have a coach that players are thinking I can learn and take my game to another level under this block, if anything it is the exact opposite.

5. Slovenia Steve

Slovenia Steve Forum Regular

Look. As an outsider in all of this we do have to ask ourselves a few questions.

When looking at signing a hooker what choice is this guy IF we're actually signing him? I mean, we've pretty much gone to our 4th or 5th choice signing have we not? And he's now 4th choice hooker at the Panthers who stole our 3rd choice signing from us if we believe everything?

Looking at this rationally, he's really down on our pecking order for signings is he not? I'm all for waiting for the right buy, and many times a 2nd or 3rd choice signing turns out better than the 1st choice so let's hope that's true in this case. But I can certainly see why people are concerned ... if this is true.

Now, if it was this Billy guy from Souths then I could be happy but this guy? I don't know. I'm struggling to believe that it's true if I'm honest, and that the Dogs are really trying to cover their tracks after screwing up the Api signing

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Natboy II

Natboy II Forum Regular

You’re guessing mate

7. Natboy II

Natboy II Forum Regular

They didn’t screw up the Api signing.
    He was using us to get more money and wanted to follow Barrett anyway. I’m glad we didn’t sign him. Injury prone and a Manly reject

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. GrogDog

GrogDog bad attitude

With the lack of anything to crow about at 9 available at the moment I would have thrown 1 year at Luke and given us another year to keep an eye out for a real long term option. Whether that's another year for a player from reggies to progress or wait for someone to come onto the market worth getting. JMK at worst could learn something of him and give ourselves some time. No point in continuing to purchase 3rd or 4th string hookers when that's all we have had since Ennis.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Noeasyday

Noeasyday Forum Regular

I thought he looked pretty good when playing big minutes in the 9.
    Solid in defence and sharp in attack. Great acceleration out of dummy half, but still needs to learn the subtleties around the hooking role.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Faz

The Faz Forum Regular

We had a top class hooker in Damien Cook and we punted him. So basically we deserve the Katoa signing. You reap what you sow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Natboy II

Natboy II Forum Regular

I hate Des with a passion but we can’t blame him for this one, if true ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dingo

Dingo Go the dogs Gilded

Is this even true? Nothing from club yet.

13. GrogDog

GrogDog bad attitude

Didn't he see no talent in him (Cook) and move him on?

14. GrogDog

GrogDog bad attitude

Probably because they know even if true then it's underwhelming news....

15. Natboy II

Natboy II Forum Regular

Yeah I’m talking about Katoa mate

16. GrogDog

GrogDog bad attitude

Isn't that suppose to be underwhelming too though? Bugger all highlights on youtube and can't remember noticing him when playing??

17. Natboy II

Natboy II Forum Regular

I think you need to read the original comment and my response mate.
    He was saying we deserve this signing and I’m just saying if true it’s a new signing and not Des.

My mates at Penrith are very happy we are linked to him. I’ll give him a chance and fresh slate if he comes to us

18. COVENS

COVENS Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member Gilded

My understanding is Des was the catalyst in turning Cook from a fringe fullback/winger into a hooker. We wanted to retain him but Souths offered more money and a better chance of starting.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Blueandwhiteblood1968

Blueandwhiteblood1968 Kennel Enthusiast

Lichshit is the worst 9 in the history of league, Lichshit was turned to shit by Hasturd and never regained consciousness, maybe Pay can turn Katoa into Cra-Katoa but any hooker is better then Lichshit.

• Like Like x 1
  20. kap123

kap123 Waterboy

I’ll admit, Katoa isn’t the best hooker on the market. But people comparing him to Lichaa is just unfair. Lichaa was given the starting gig in first grade for 3-4 years behind a decent forward pack and couldn’t make anything of it.

Katoa hasn’t set the world alight at Penrith, but he hasn’t really had the opportunity. It is Clearys choice to have him as 3rd/4th choice hooker and you are really splitting hairs between him, Kenny and Egan. Let’s be honest, Clearys opinion is not the be all and end all. He would definitely be regretting letting DWZ go.

Reed Mahoney and the Eels performance on Sunday showed that you don’t necessarily need a hooker like Cook to win games. Yes a running game out of dummy half is great but JMK is developing this quite well. A hooker that can pass quickly and accurately off the deck This will win games and the bulldogs proved that this year with their

If he is on a reasonably low wage, than I back this signing.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.