Official Bulldogs sign respected assistant coach David Furner

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Furner has a good rep as an assistant, mostly based on his time at the Cowboys with a Premiership in 2015, which many would agree was a Thurston lead era. Before that a loosing record as head coach at Canberra (43%) and since then he has been flicked from the Leeds Rhinos only 15 games into a 3 year contract (33%). Back to the assistant coach's role this year, how good has he been going at Newcastle, a long way from stellar with that roster and the huge amount of money that they have spent.

Much like Barrett, I'll wait my judgement on him until I see who we recruit and then how we play.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Would love to see a candid interview of Furner about coming to the dogs and his reasons etc. See what he really has to say. Walking away from a team feautring talent like Ponga and actually competing would be hard. Face value Barrett seems like he's making some good choices.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Good appointment for sure. Let’s see how things unfold over next 12 months but it does seem he’s keen to be a Head Coach again so we may not have him that long. Risk either way with success at Dogs or shit results as I see it.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Im intrigued as to how different the roles are, something ill probably never know. :(
Luke Lewis spoke about this exact thing a while back before a game on ABC. He revealed that it was the assistant coach he would go to talk about individual stuff about his game. Players don't like going to the head coach, because they feel it might give him reason to drop them. So whenever he was worried about an area of his game he'd go to the assistant to have a chat and get advice. A good assistant coach helps individual players out with issues in their game, but is discreet about it so they continue to go to him with trust.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Very astute, I can get onboard with this signing...

Hard nut Furner, hope our forwards are ready...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Would love to see a candid interview of Furner about coming to the dogs and his reasons etc. See what he really has to say. Walking away from a team feautring talent like Ponga and actually competing would be hard. Face value Barrett seems like he's making some good choices.
I think a decent part of his decision was getting back to Sydney as his family were here whilst he’s been commuting/staying in Newcastle. That said, you still don’t take a job if your gut tells you it’s a wrong move so obviously something has made him buy into the vision as he said. Pretty sure those plans are being held pretty closely by the footy club given various other upheavals...

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s just heaps more involved being a head coach where an assistant can usually focus on the football side of things.
I've done both and your 100% correct, it's not as high pressured being an assistant coach and way more fun and satisfying as well.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Dunno if anyone can answer this, but would David be one of the most experienced Assistant Coaches we have ever signed? He is certainly more experienced at the top level than all of our recent ones; SG, whoever was under Hasler, Dymock...

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And even have nick potter behind the scenes too ex fg coach too very handy line up thus far with Furners appointment

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's been rumoured for a while but that's a great move to get Furner who is such a highly rated and experienced assistant.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good move, hopefully they can teach some old Dogs new tricks.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the first time,since that prick hasler left,I’m starting to see some bright lights at the end of the tunnel,we have 2 highly respected coaches,3 new signings,which along with a squad that is very young and still learning,has been competitive in just about every game,I’m sure positives will come for us

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes 2 young coaches with ambition,given what we have endured over the last few years,can we really get any worse,I’m positive that we will b playing semi final football in the coming years.if you’ve lived in Newcastle you’d know y he is coming to Sydney,it’s a shithole,unless u live near the beach