Bulldogs sign Jack Cogger for 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I've been told he wasn't dropped it was a pelvis injury that kept him out of first grade. If that's the case then maybe that's a good argument against your case.
He was out for a couple of months due to injury and only started to come good towards the end of the season, but hey let's just crush him before he even comes here.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Not at all. Knights have no cap pressure to the point where the NRL has threatened to fine then for it, meanwhile the Roosters had a loaded roster and a 700k+ year player compared to minimum wage player in Cogger.

Knights gain absolutely nothing from releasing him, they are also in the process of releasing Hodko so Cogger is at worst a 4th choice half for them this season. Knights will probably push for a player trade.
Yes I understand Newcastle can make him stay.
However if he has a chance this season to start in the first grade team I think they should release him.
Swings & roundabouts, it won't be long before the knight are on the other side of a similar conundrum.

I think the right thing to do is let him come to the dogs for the 2018 season.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not at all. Knights have no cap pressure to the point where the NRL has threatened to fine then for it, meanwhile the Roosters had a loaded roster and a 700k+ year player compared to minimum wage player in Cogger.

Knights gain absolutely nothing from releasing him, they are also in the process of releasing Hodko so Cogger is at worst a 4th choice half for them this season. Knights will probably push for a player trade.
I’d gladly give up Frawley for Cogger, makes perfect sense for both teams actually.

Knights get a player who is probably just going to be a decent squad option with there halves combo already set and has a good attitude and I think his personality would fit in perfectly with the people in Newcastle. Even though Frawley only has 10 games more experience the Cogger he has a more mature game style and so he can come in for any injuries and not take to long to settle in.

We however need a younger player who can inject some creativity into the side especially after the last few years and a player who while might take a few games to settle in can be the cornerstone of the side over the next decade. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they asked for Cleeland instead which also would make sense for both sides.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yes I understand Newcastle can make him stay.
However if he has a chance this season to start in the first grade team I think they should release him.
Swings & roundabouts, it won't be long before the knight are on the other side of a similar conundrum.

I think the right thing to do is let him come to the dogs for the 2018 season.
The Knights will do what is best for them, simple as that really. I can totally understand if they don't release him as the club comes first.

Aceman

Waterboy
Reaction score
Lets have faith in Pay that he sees something good in this kid. He has worked with him before and has chased him hard. He got his man. Im excited. Its been awhile since our club has chased junior talent. Love him to come across early. His old man was a real tough head and competitor. Fresh talent and fresh start for our club. Cant wait for the season to start.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury not giving up on Newcastle granting halfback early release to join Kennel this year

CHRISTIAN NICOLUSSI, The Daily Telegraph
15 minutes ago

CANTERBURY are hoping Newcastle will have a change of heart and grant Jack Cogger an early release to join Kieran Foran — rather than spend a whole season in reserve grade as the Knights’ fifth-string playmaker.

On the same day the Bulldogs confirmed Cogger would head to Belmore for 2019 and 2020, Knights officials formally told Cogger and his management he would not be granted an early exit.

Mitchell Pearce, Connor Watson, Brock Lamb and even out-of-favour Trent Hodkinson are all ahead of Cogger in the Knights’ halves pecking order.

Should the Knights start the season well and there are few injuries, they might only then be tempted to give Cogger their blessing to join the Dogs before the June 30 deadline.

Canterbury coach Dean Pay spent time with Cogger in the NSW under-20s team, and knows the chance to play regular first-grade football along side a player like Foran would be much more beneficial for the Australian Schoolboys halfback.

Pay said “we’d jump at the chance if Jack became available now’’, and would have no issues plonking the eight-game rookie in the halves on the back of a late club preparation.

As it stands, the two pre-season trials against Canberra on the Sunshine Coast and Penrith at Belmore Oval will decide if Matt Frawley, Josh Cleeland or Nu Brown gets the honour of partnering Foran in round one.

Kieran Foran will be given ”limited game time’’ in just one of the pre-season hitouts.

“I know Jack well and he’ll suit our club,’’ Pay told The Daily Telegraph.

“We’re looking for a young half we can move forward with, we have Kieran, so there’s a good opportunity for him to learn off one of the best.

“He’s a level-headed kid, he’s got all the skills, and Kieran and the rest of the group would help bring those skills to the fore. He’ll be a good fit for us.

“He’s already here for 2019 and 2020, so if he came early it would create healthy competition for the position. That can only be a good thing for the club.’’

The Knights signed Kalyn Ponga 12 months ago and had hoped North Queensland would grant him an early release, only to be forced to wait a season.

The Knights will weigh up injuries and the form of their halves by the early rounds before they re-visit Cogger’s departure.

“We formally requested a release, and they’ve formally replied, telling us he won’t be released. We’ll abide by the umpire’s decision and Jack will do his best for the Knights this year,’’ Cogger’s agent Michael Newton said.

Once the Gold Coast landed the signature of Brenko Lee before Christmas, the Dogs freed up more room in their cap to accommodate a player like Cogger for this season.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...r/news-story/6ed30b6392650b2e738e10594946c1f1

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It would be stupid for them not have Brown on the bench. His a half by nature who played a few games at centre when he was a junior and trained at Hooker all of 2016 and trained as a lock throughout all of 2017. Sharks wanted to keep him and was meant to replace Gallen as the lock of the future for them.

He can comfortably play Halfback, five eight, Hooker and Lock and can cover Centre and Second Row pretty solidly.

My question if he was such a good halfback why didn't he start there for a Samoan team that was lacking halves?

He struggled to get a bench spot didn't he?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Pretty dirty knights are going to hold a kid back from first grade. I get that it does nothing for them. I even get it strengthens the enemy potentially. Though it’s bs the kids playing for a career and he is their 5th back up. Dirty ***** I’d see to it that we don’t return anything to them and that we have a crack at any other good kids they got

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Better to lose a player, than to have an unhappy player bringing the rest of the team down.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
My question if he was such a good halfback why didn't he start there for a Samoan team that was lacking halves?

I think he was injured for a couple of games and was put into hooker for the others, whereas they had established halves playing all the way through I think.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I haven't seen him pass a ball, but hears the key points from a conversation I had with someone that knows him extremely well through the junior footy system on the Central coast.

On the field
- Toukley RLFC junior
- He is one of the top junior halves comming through, up there with Watson and Lamb but has fallen off the radar the past few years because of injury.
- Has captained every team he has played in, including rep teams.
- Quick
- Big heart
- He is still a little small at 82kgs. This may be why he has had a few injuries.

Off the field
- Absolute class act
- Smart boy, got a high TER and studying phycology.
- School captain
- Heavaly involved in coaching kids and managment of tournaments from a young age.

Sounds like a traditional no. 7 and the kind of kid you want around the club long term if he can establish himself as first grader.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
So he's not 100% confirmed in first grade.. and Pay wants him to battle it out with Cleeland, Brown, Frawley for that spot.

I have a bad feeling we could lose some halves depth as a result of this.

If he isn't here this year, I'm sure the other options wouldn't appreciate Pays' comments about "wanting a half we can move forwards with".

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Better to lose a player, than to have an unhappy player bringing the rest of the team down.
And that's the Knights decision. If that situation comes up then they will have to deal with it in whatever way they see fit.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So he's not 100% confirmed in first grade.. and Pay wants him to battle it out with Cleeland, Brown, Frawley for that spot.

I have a bad feeling we could lose some halves depth as a result of this.

If he isn't here this year, I'm sure the other options wouldn't appreciate Pays' comments about "wanting a half we can move forwards with".
If the halves have any balls they will fight for their position. It will be a good thing if we clear the dead wood players like Frawley if anyone thinks we are winning a comp or even making the finals with him at halfback then they are in dreamland.

Last edited:

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score

Yeah Ben Roberts was halfback and was awful

Status
Not open for further replies.