Bulldogs sign Jack Cogger for 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
This signing raises more questions than it answers. It shakes and unsettles things more than it improves. Let's say Cogger is given an early release and partners Foran in 2018 what happens to Frawley? The bloke has been training with the team in the halves and has just started to work on combinations with Foran. What would he be thinking? What happens to Cleeland? His name has been mentioned a few times this off-season. There is no doubt that the bloke is looking forward to 2018 and getting an opportunity. Cogger's signing is extremely demoralising to him you would think. What about Nu Brown? This signing suggests that he will only ever be a utility.

Maybe you are right and Cogger is only a depth signing? But then what happens to Lewis and Benji's bro King (because Cogger and Cleeland would be the halves for the isp side).

This is a conundrum. Someone needs to help me and the club solve this.
Would be curious to know what sort of coin was spent on him. Have a look at how Hasler's approach of not dropping players turned out for us. This is suppose to be professional sport where you earn your spot and then play harder to keep it. Maybe Pay is intentionally doing this stuff to show and prove to these guys that if they want to be a part of this than you MUST earn it. I'm all for competition as it truly brings the best out of those who have what it takes, those that falter can get fuked for all I care. Players need to give the coach no choice but to pick them!!!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This signing raises more questions than it answers. It shakes and unsettles things more than it improves. Let's say Cogger is given an early release and partners Foran in 2018 what happens to Frawley? The bloke has been training with the team in the halves and has just started to work on combinations with Foran. What would he be thinking? What happens to Cleeland? His name has been mentioned a few times this off-season. There is no doubt that the bloke is looking forward to 2018 and getting an opportunity. Cogger's signing is extremely demoralising to him you would think. What about Nu Brown? This signing suggests that he will only ever be a utility.

Maybe you are right and Cogger is only a depth signing? But then what happens to Lewis and Benji's bro King (because Cogger and Cleeland would be the halves for the isp side).

I wouldnt be too worried about any of these signings. They were haslers signings, and Pay has every right to build a team that he wants.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, you are right.

I wonder what happens with Mbye if he doesn't succeed at fullback?
Clearly Pay doesn't rate him as a halfback either

Neither do I but I'm sure he would do well as a 5/8

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think a lot of people are forgetting we also lost keighran to the panthers, so if nothing else cogger is his replacement, and a depth signing. But if he is good enough then he may become oir long term hb.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Lol who gives a fkuk what they are thinking or if they are emotionally upset. We in the busniness to win

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley,
Even if he is by far the worst half in the comp their is no need to rubbish him like that.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I see Brown on the bench as a utility player. He's a big enough body to slot in anywhere from 6/7/9, and maybe second row/lock but playing as a third half (like some clubs did last year).

Cleeland, Lewis, Marshall King, Wakeham, Cogger, Frawley ... gees we have some halves at the moment.

My concern is that the Knights didn't even bother to offer him a contract, meaning either he isn't that great (they deem him less than Lamb/Pearce/Hodko) or has been promised a first grade spot with us (which means the others listed above will consider moving on).

If we don't get him this year, then I have concerns. Why would you put heart and soul in if you are most likely to be replaced in a years time.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley, Please not Frawley,
Me thinks you will be disapointed

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Even if he is by far the worst half in the comp their is no need to rubbish him like that.
He simply isn't good enough, ask anyone that watched our ISP side play. I have said it so many times, but our ISP side was a better team without him in it.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

How does this signing raise questions? If anything Cogger’s signing possibly gives us the answer to our halfback dilema ( I say POSSIBLY loosely) Not one of our current halves have exactly stood up and grabbed the position by the neck and made it their own have they? Nor have they made the club and coach say this is the guy that’s going to be our halfback for the next decade! Frawley, Cleeland, Brown and co have no right to whinge about the Bulldogs signing a great young half with potential, they are all early to mid twentys and have had many a chance at many clubs to prove they are deserved of the starting halfback postion yet they have not done so. To be honest I don’t have a good feeling about any of our current halves, none of them inspire me, merely make me believe they are only gap fillers til we find our next long term solution.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He simply isn't good enough, ask anyone that watched our ISP side play. I have said it so many times, but our ISP side was a better team without him in it.
Im not saying hes great but he did some decent things in FG...

2 games I can think of VS Brisbane set the win up with his short kicking

VS Parra took it to extra time with his dummy and run and try under post

He has ability.. too early to write him off, especially with our dud attack under our Ex Coach

Between Frawley & Cleeland I dont know whos better but I wont write any of them off yet

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
GRRR, I remember round 12 1982 as we were leading Wests until just after half time. Trevor was on the hill eating a meat pie & got the call up for the bench. He came on & scored 2 tries to win the game for them.
Lets hope his dad teaches him a few things.. looks like hes got the right DNA

zac hollywood

Waterboy
Reaction score
Think this is the first real recruitment from the new structures. Pay knows him and what he can bring. Guess we need to accept that Deano knows what he is after and he got his man...
anybody who watched this kid play a handful of first grade games will see this kid is rubbish what a waste of a signing people will say hes only 20 but the kid has nothing even brown said he wasn't up to it

Status
Not open for further replies.