Bulldogs sign Corey Harawira-neara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/09/01/harawira-naeras-selfless-club-first-move/
Corey Harawira-Naera had every right to put his feet up and rest after concussion ruled him out of last night's NRL match.

The NRL finals are looming and he’s played every game in the top grade this year; with HIA protocol forbidding him to take the field until today the Panthers gave him the option to reset the body and take a week off.

Instead, he insisted on playing with the Intrust Super Premiership team.

The Panthers, of course, were more than happy to accommodate given how high they prioritise success through all grades, but the decision typifies the ‘club first’ attitude that any sporting organisation, let alone Rugby League, would love to have.

“I didn’t know I could get a run, when I got told I jumped at it straight away,” Harawira-Naera tells NSWRL.com.au.
“They gave me the option, but I’d rather play than get a week off to be honest; I don’t like rest, the body seizes up a bit.
“I failed [the concussion test] about three times, but they ended up giving me clearance on Wednesday and I got my three days, so obviously I couldn’t play on Friday night.
“I haven’t played too many minutes lately, so it was good to get some big minutes out.”

James Maloney stated earlier in the week that the reason Penrith have been successful throughout the grades is the continuity in coaching philosophies.

The ISP side has been flying; they secured the minor premiership by six competition points and have now booked a spot in the Preliminary Final.

Harawira-Naera hasn’t played a single game in the Intrust Super Premiership this year, yet those similar philosophies made the transition seamless.

“I didn’t have to come in or blow up or talk too much. Everyone knew their role and all I had to do was my role and that made it a lot easier. The boys have been playing well all year.”

He played on the right edge in what turned out to be a brutal Qualifying Final against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

28-18 was the final score, but the Bulldogs almost stole it at the death when they scored back-to-back tries and has one hundred per cent of possession for a 10 minute period.

They forced three consecutive dropouts, but the Panthers kept turning them away, something Harawira-Naera was proud to be a part of.

“That’s what wins you games,” he says.
“They got a bit of momentum and got a few tries there and it was up to us to stop them.
“There’s no real superstars or standouts everyone has been just doing their job, ‘Marto’ [Liam Martin] has been killing it all year, ‘Kaido’ [Kaide Ellis] too, the list just keeps going on.
“All you’ve got to do is your job and then you never have to do anymore than you have to; it’s pleasing to get the win today for the boys and we’ll see how we go in the next few weeks.”

For Harawira-Naera, it was pleasing to play with the talent that’s at the base of the NRL’s doorstep.

Liam Martin and Kaide Ellis are two of many, but he is also extremely impressed with fullback Caleb Aikens and rising star William ‘Billy’ Burns.

“Caleb is knocking on the door again for another NRL game I reckon, he’s safe as days and he’s gaining confidence with every game,” Harawira-Naera says.
“He’s another reason why they’re sitting at the top of the table, he’s been so consistent this year and his metres are really good.
“[Burns] is a gangly ‘fella’ isn’t he? He’s been playing really well and he’s still under-20s age.
“I heard he got a hat-trick this year, I think he’s having a laugh, but he’s got a bit of weight to put on.
“He’s killing it now so it’s going to be good to see him once he fills out a bit more.”

With the Panthers in the NRL finals, that will be Harawira-Naera’s major focus moving forward.

A win against the Storm last night was perhaps the kick they needed to get themselves into gear, but that performance was no surprise to any Panthers’ insider.

“Whatever team they would have put out the boys trained that well that I knew that they were going to be in it,” Harawira-Naera says.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d rather a gun centre than a hooker. I’d promote Woolford next year and train him hard in the off season. Reimis was interviewed on the radio and said his preferred position is centre. So maybe go after a gun winger. I don’t think Crichton is a gun winger at all.

Foran better stay fit next year(which I doubt) because cogger is just shit. Our squad is no where near the squad we need ATM. The players we have bought so far like Meaney, Cogger and Crichton could all turn out to be flops.
I agree not impressed with any of our recruits so far, seen em all play, most go missing a lot in games, hope im wrong but i guess all will help our isp team next year, that really doesnt help our 1st grade team, the only rock star i have seen is the Prince also R.Martin is adequate in the second row but no rock star until he gets a chance to aim at those posts that is.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/09/01/harawira-naeras-selfless-club-first-move/
Corey Harawira-Naera had every right to put his feet up and rest after concussion ruled him out of last night's NRL match.

The NRL finals are looming and he’s played every game in the top grade this year; with HIA protocol forbidding him to take the field until today the Panthers gave him the option to reset the body and take a week off.

Instead, he insisted on playing with the Intrust Super Premiership team.

The Panthers, of course, were more than happy to accommodate given how high they prioritise success through all grades, but the decision typifies the ‘club first’ attitude that any sporting organisation, let alone Rugby League, would love to have.

“I didn’t know I could get a run, when I got told I jumped at it straight away,” Harawira-Naera tells NSWRL.com.au.
“They gave me the option, but I’d rather play than get a week off to be honest; I don’t like rest, the body seizes up a bit.
“I failed [the concussion test] about three times, but they ended up giving me clearance on Wednesday and I got my three days, so obviously I couldn’t play on Friday night.
“I haven’t played too many minutes lately, so it was good to get some big minutes out.”

James Maloney stated earlier in the week that the reason Penrith have been successful throughout the grades is the continuity in coaching philosophies.

The ISP side has been flying; they secured the minor premiership by six competition points and have now booked a spot in the Preliminary Final.

Harawira-Naera hasn’t played a single game in the Intrust Super Premiership this year, yet those similar philosophies made the transition seamless.

“I didn’t have to come in or blow up or talk too much. Everyone knew their role and all I had to do was my role and that made it a lot easier. The boys have been playing well all year.”

He played on the right edge in what turned out to be a brutal Qualifying Final against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

28-18 was the final score, but the Bulldogs almost stole it at the death when they scored back-to-back tries and has one hundred per cent of possession for a 10 minute period.

They forced three consecutive dropouts, but the Panthers kept turning them away, something Harawira-Naera was proud to be a part of.

“That’s what wins you games,” he says.
“They got a bit of momentum and got a few tries there and it was up to us to stop them.
“There’s no real superstars or standouts everyone has been just doing their job, ‘Marto’ [Liam Martin] has been killing it all year, ‘Kaido’ [Kaide Ellis] too, the list just keeps going on.
“All you’ve got to do is your job and then you never have to do anymore than you have to; it’s pleasing to get the win today for the boys and we’ll see how we go in the next few weeks.”

For Harawira-Naera, it was pleasing to play with the talent that’s at the base of the NRL’s doorstep.

Liam Martin and Kaide Ellis are two of many, but he is also extremely impressed with fullback Caleb Aikens and rising star William ‘Billy’ Burns.

“Caleb is knocking on the door again for another NRL game I reckon, he’s safe as days and he’s gaining confidence with every game,” Harawira-Naera says.
“He’s another reason why they’re sitting at the top of the table, he’s been so consistent this year and his metres are really good.
“[Burns] is a gangly ‘fella’ isn’t he? He’s been playing really well and he’s still under-20s age.
“I heard he got a hat-trick this year, I think he’s having a laugh, but he’s got a bit of weight to put on.
“He’s killing it now so it’s going to be good to see him once he fills out a bit more.”

With the Panthers in the NRL finals, that will be Harawira-Naera’s major focus moving forward.

A win against the Storm last night was perhaps the kick they needed to get themselves into gear, but that performance was no surprise to any Panthers’ insider.

“Whatever team they would have put out the boys trained that well that I knew that they were going to be in it,” Harawira-Naera says.
How the fuck was he allowed to play in the isp finals. Dont you have to play a minimum of 8 isp games to be eligible?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
How the fuck was he allowed to play in the isp finals. Dont you have to play a minimum of 8 isp games to be eligible?
Nope, there's an obscure (and frankly BS rule) whereby if your NRL team is in the final series, you can drop players back a grade to play NSW Cup (without having played a single NSWRL game all season). Only condition is that the NRL game is played BEFORE the NSWRL game. However given we are not in the finals series, it would not suprise me if the club appeal this one.

https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/nsw-qrl-nrl-player-eligibility.110615/

To be eligible for the Intrust Super Premiership NSW final series a player must meet the following criteria:

Played the majority of/equal number of matches in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW prior to the final series commencing, or;
NOT ELIGIBLE - Has not played a match in Intrust Super Premiership this year prior to finals series.

Participated in a minimum of 8 matches in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW prior to the final series commencing,
or;
NOT ELIGIBLE - Has not played a match in Intrust Super Premiership this year prior to finals series.

The player’s NRL team is still competing in the NRL competition (if the higher grade is eliminated on the same weekend prior the Intrust Super Premiership NSW match), or;
E.G If the NRL team is eliminated on Friday or Saturday and the Intrust Super Premiership NSW match is on the Sunday, players who do not qualify under any other clause will be permitted to play on that Sunday only.
THIS IS THE DODGY RULE THEY USED TO QUALIFY HIM! There is conjecture that this should ONLY apply to finals series games however (i.e if the team is in NRL finals series).

The player has qualified in a lower level or qualified in NYC, or;
NOT ELIGIBLE - Cannot play Flegg.

The player has failed to gain selection in the NRL final series (these players will be required to have played in 2 lower level competition final matches to be eligible to continue playing in that final series) therefore eliminating any of the previous eligibility criteria, or;
NOT ELIGIBLE - Has not played 2 lower level competition finals matches (YET). Would have to play Prelims to apply.

If a player has participated in an equal number of matches in a higher level or lower level competition at the conclusion of the regular season, the player will then qualify for the lower level final series and therefore be eligible to play in the higher level final series.

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
meaney
crichton
hoppa
montoya/holland
smith
foran
lewis
tolman
seggy (hopefully)
klemmer
rfm
chn
jacko

danny
ogden
martin
elliot

this is what im hearing will most likely be our starting team depending on pre season.
martin will be a bench/reserve grader. My source strikes again on chn haha.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
meaney
crichton
hoppa
montoya/holland
smith
foran
lewis
tolman
seggy (hopefully)
klemmer
rfm
chn
jacko

danny
ogden
martin
elliot

this is what im hearing will most likely be our starting team depending on pre season.
I reckon Elliot could be a gun bench player. He goes hard and he’s got half decent footwork which puts him through gaps, could work wel on more tired players

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
meaney
crichton
hoppa
montoya/holland
smith
foran
lewis
tolman
seggy (hopefully)
klemmer
rfm
chn
jacko

danny
ogden
martin
elliot

I don't get playing Martin off the bench, either start him or drop him back

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Corey Harawira-Naera Joins the Pack
Author
bulldogs.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 3 Sep 2018, 09:15 AM
Share on social media
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have added a further piece to their new-look squad for next year with the signing of exciting Penrith back-rower Corey Harawira-Naera for the next four years.

The talented 23 year-old, who was born in New Zealand, made his NRL debut for the Panthers in 2017, scoring a try in his first match against Newcastle.

He has currently made 44 NRL appearances for the Panthers over the past two seasons, scoring 13 tries.

Bulldogs Chief Executive Andrew Hill was delighted to be able to sign someone of Harawira-Naera's quality:

"Signing someone of Corey's calibre and potential is a great coup for the Bulldogs and comes on the back of a strong finish to our 2018 season. Dean Pay and his coaching staff have helped develop some talented young players this year and the addition of Corey to the squad will add both quality and strength to our forward pack for next season and beyond."

CONFIRMED.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As I read this I got disturbing flashbacks of the last ‘talented’ 23 year old backrower we signed for 4 years.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
meaney
crichton
hoppa
montoya/holland
smith
foran
lewis
tolman
seggy (hopefully)
klemmer
rfm
chn
jacko

danny
ogden
martin
elliot

Have you heard anything about us chasing any centres/wingers?

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of money did he sign on for?

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
meaney
crichton
hoppa
montoya/holland
smith
foran
lewis
tolman
seggy (hopefully)
klemmer
rfm
chn
jacko

danny
ogden
martin
elliot

What about Sue?

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't get playing Martin off the bench, either start him or drop him back
Chn and rfm are way better than martin. Martin has no footwork at all. While the two both have great footwork at the line and both are very hard to handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.