Official Bulldogs sign Bronson Xerri for 2024 season on two-year deal despite doping ban

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yet players do worse shit and get less severe punishments. That is how much of a joke the system is.
Wasn’t too fussed about signing him. I’m not a fan of roids in sport, but also believe that once you do your time, you should be welcomed back. 4 years out of competition is fucking severe, make no mistake, but they’re the rules in the NRL. In MLB as comparison, it’s usually less than a season, which is too lenient imo. I guess they don’t follow wada.
Correct.

The NRL is a signatory to WADA and as such abides by the WADA rules, one of which is 4 years for using performance enhancing drugs.

Most US professional sporting organisations aren't signatories to WADA, they each have their own rules including testing and suspensions. For example the NBA would be 25 games, NFL 4 games and NHL 20 games, boxing is the longest at 2 years.

Always a Bulldog

Reaction score
Correct.

The NRL is a signatory to WADA and as such abides by the WADA rules, one of which is 4 years for using performance enhancing drugs.

Most US professional sporting organisations aren't signatories to WADA, they each have their own rules including testing and suspensions. For example the NBA would be 25 games, NFL 4 games and NHL 20 games, boxing is the longest at 2 years.

Always a Bulldog
4 games, that's a clean sport right there haha

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has raised this thought, maybe because nobody wants to see it come to fruition BUT

Now that we have Xerri locked in for 2024 -

Could it possibly mean that along side him on the right edge we re sign his good friend & lifelong team mate Kyle Flanagan against popular demand?

Even though this is not my preference, it could still be a real possibility that no one on here has considered could happen.

An off contract season for Kyle should bring the best out of him - then Gus & Ciro will judge if his best is good enough.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Correct.

Always a Bulldog
4 games for using steroids? Thats a fucking joke!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has raised this thought, maybe because nobody wants to see it come to fruition BUT

Could it possibly mean that along side him on the right edge we re sign his good friend & lifelong team mate Kyle Flanagan against popular demand?

Even though this is not my preference, it could still be a real possibility that no one on here has considered could happen.

An off contract season for Kyle should bring the best out of him - then Gus & Ciro will judge if his best is good enough.
I highly doubt we re-sign someone because they have a friend on the roster. That would be rediculous!
Im also certain that gus will have reinstated the club first, team second, individual last motto we used to live by as a club.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I highly doubt we re-sign someone because they have a friend on the roster. That would be rediculous!
Im also certain that gus will have reinstated the club first, team second, individual last motto we used to live by as a club.
I'm not suggesting for one second that they re sign him because he is Xerri's mate, I just made the statement that he is his good friend & played with him through the grades.

What I am saying is that with the lack of good NRL quality halfback options on the Market, this could be a real possibility that none of us are prepared for or would be happy to accept.

It could really happen & no one on this forum has considered that possibility.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I don’t think it’s a risk the club would take, we have had two years to see something and he hasn’t produced. To wait a few more months and then lose out on Mitch Moses the only decent halfback on the market would be dumb business from us.

his only hope is that we miss out on mitch and then we have no choice but to roll the dice.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I do not think Flannagan is anywhere near as bad as most on here .... his defense and support play is top notch, and i saw signs of some extra distance in his kicking game towards the end of last season. He obviously lacks a running game but many good number 7's of the past have been limited in that aspect and let's be honest he hasn't had many options for his passing game during his time at The Dogs.

Apart from Moses (who i really want) i am struggling to see many other halfbacks who are both upgrades and available at this time.

I am expecting a decent season from him but much like JMK people will have made up their minds and declare him as being shithouse no matter what.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I do not think Flannagan is anywhere near as bad as most on here .... his defense and support play is top notch, and i saw signs of some extra distance in his kicking game towards the end of last season. He obviously lacks a running game but many good number 7's of the past have been limited in that aspect and let's be honest he hasn't had many options for his passing game during his time at The Dogs.

Apart from Moses (who i really want) i am struggling to see many other halfbacks who are both upgrades and available at this time.

I am expecting a decent season from him but much like JMK people will have made up their minds and declare him as being shithouse no matter what.
He is shithouse. Gus has said we need a 7. We do. Badly.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If the left side gels this season and develops a good combination then it would make sense to leave them alone and not change it next year. It would then be logical for Xerri to slot into the right side, him, RFM and Kiraz would be a potent combination on that flank.

Or he could slot into left side if that doesn’t gel, him and JAC together would be the fastest centre/wing in the NRL.

Always a Bulldog

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a risk the club would take, we have had two years to see something and he hasn’t produced. To wait a few more months and then lose out on Mitch Moses the only decent halfback on the market would be dumb business from us.

his only hope is that we miss out on mitch and then we have no choice but to roll the dice.
I'm saying that missing out on Mitchell Moses is a real big possibility and if that happens, then what do we do???

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting for one second that they re sign him because he is Xerri's mate, I just made the statement that he is his good friend & played with him through the grades.

What I am saying is that with the lack of good NRL quality halfback options on the Market, this could be a real possibility that none of us are prepared for or would be happy to accept.

It could really happen & no one on this forum has considered that possibility.
You didnt have to say it, it was insinuated. Unless he absolutely kills it this year, he will not be re-signed. This is why no one is considering this possibility, because the chance of Flanagan killing it are more then 1000/1. In any case, Rajab or BBO are far better prospects, and one of them will likely take over his position if no star halfback is signed.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

It looks like Flanno is improving!! :tearsofjoy:

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You didnt have to say it, it was insinuated. Unless he absolutely kills it this year, he will not be re-signed. This is why no one is considering this possibility, because the chance of Flanagan killing it are more then 1000/1. In any case, Rajab or BBO are far better prospects, and one of them will likely take over his position if no star halfback is signed.
Insinuated or misinterpreted - either way, doesn't really matter.

What matters is that even though so many on this forum could not stand the idea of this happening, it still is a chance of happening with the odds far differing between everyone's personal opinions - which is good because we are all entitled to have our own.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Insinuated or misinterpreted - either way, doesn't really matter.

What matters is that even though so many on this forum could not stand the idea of this happening, it still is a chance of happening with the odds far differing between everyone's personal opinions - which is good because we are all entitled to have our own.
I really dont think it is a chance of happening. So im not concerned personally.