Official Bulldogs SG Ball Cup 2021

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
SG Ball results: Manly unleashes track star Tolutau Koula in loss to Canterbury
Manly unleashed a young gun tipped to become one of the NRL’s fastest players ever in the latest round of SG Ball, but it wasn’t enough against a dogged Canterbury.

There’s no stopping Bulldog Paul Alamoti Picture: Julian Andrews.

There’s no stopping Bulldog Paul Alamoti Picture: Julian Andrews.

Blink, and you’ll miss him.

We’re talking about Tolutau Koula — Manly’s young track star, who could one day overtake Josh Addo-Carr and Xavier Coates as the NRL’s fastest player.

Koula, a Sea Eagles’ NRL Development Player, was injected into the club’s SG Ball side for the first time on Saturday and he snatched an exciting hat-trick against the Bulldogs.

Canterbury ultimately edged Manly 26-24, but Koula’s astounding speed was on full display as he bolted 60 metres to cross in the second half.
Manly's Tolutau Koula storms to the try line. Picture: Julian Andrews.

Manly's Tolutau Koula storms to the try line. Picture: Julian Andrews.

His pace is hardly surprising, given the outside back broke the AAGPS Athletics 100m record clocking just 10.58 seconds back in 2019. But Koula sure excited fans at Brookvale.

The Bulldogs showed real grit in the thrilling clash, clawing back from a 14-point deficit in the second half to steal the win and retain their undefeated status.

“To comeback and win 26-24 and to defend the last five minutes on their line and win the game, it was unbelievable,” Bulldogs SG Ball coach Mitch Lewis said.

“Manly are a good team, they’ll be there come the end of the season.”

“He’s told me all year how much he loves running out of dummy half. We’ve played teams where that didn’t really suit, but today was his day … he was absolutely phenomenal,” Lewis said.

Bulldog Danny Ghantous looks to offload. Picture: Julian Andrews.

Bulldog Danny Ghantous looks to offload. Picture: Julian Andrews.

“Our no. 11 Diego Bravo-Graham was great too, he wasn’t supposed to play, but we had an injury overnight … he backed up and played 70 minutes.”

The Bulldogs now sit third on the ladder, behind the Rabbitohs and Raiders.

Around the grounds, South Sydney put 62 points on the Bears. The Bunnies‘ right edge attack was on fire once again, as winger Evan Manning scored his third hat trick of 2021.
The Raiders recorded another big score, downing the Knights 52-32 in Queanbeyan to retain their spot on top of the table. Parramatta and Illawarra also recorded Round 5 wins.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well done boys!!
Undefeated and coming 3rd? Crazy.
They got fucked over a few weeks ago when their game against Victoria was cancelled and they were both awarded a point each so that’s keeping them from first.

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
My mate's report. He didnt give me the detailed play by play like longtime did (well done and thanks). We deserved to be in front 10-6 at half time. Manly struggled to complete sets. 2nd half. Both Todd and Cox our country front rowers off. Manly score 3 tries in 4 sets. The no.22 (story above) was near untouchable and more than matched Alomoti. We're down 24-10 with 24 minutes to go. Coach sends both front rowers on. Game changes immediately. Good go forward, more time for half Oneil and 5/8 Foran and we are all over them. Between our tries, Manly panic, give penalties and we put on 3 tries in 10 minutes. We're up 26-24 and even with few hiccups at end, we held them. He reckons Todd no. 8 was carrying an injury, he was solid but went off earlier in first half than normal. Cox is a workhorse wirh a good off load. I mentioned Longtimes comments to him re the front rowers. He agreed but still reckons they are guns. The last few weeks, when they are off, we're ordinary, when they're on, we win. He is old school and loves front rowers. He reckons they will make it. No 3 Eli had his best game. Ghantous great in attack. He cant work out why we put a short winger in this week. BUT he believes the Team is the real deal!

Longtimedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My mate's report. He didnt give me the detailed play by play like longtime did (well done and thanks). We deserved to be in front 10-6 at half time. Manly struggled to complete sets. 2nd half. Both Todd and Cox our country front rowers off. Manly score 3 tries in 4 sets. The no.22 (story above) was near untouchable and more than matched Alomoti. We're down 24-10 with 24 minutes to go. Coach sends both front rowers on. Game changes immediately. Good go forward, more time for half Oneil and 5/8 Foran and we are all over them. Between our tries, Manly panic, give penalties and we put on 3 tries in 10 minutes. We're up 26-24 and even with few hiccups at end, we held them. He reckons Todd no. 8 was carrying an injury, he was solid but went off earlier in first half than normal. Cox is a workhorse wirh a good off load. I mentioned Longtimes comments to him re the front rowers. He agreed but still reckons they are guns. The last few weeks, when they are off, we're ordinary, when they're on, we win. He is old school and loves front rowers. He reckons they will make it. No 3 Eli had his best game. Ghantous great in attack. He cant work out why we put a short winger in this week. BUT he believes the Team is the real deal!
Todd and Cox were good in attack. Cox has been really good in all the games so far. He was off in defence today. The first 15 minutes they both got caught out by Manlys quick scoots around the ruck. They did sure it up after that. I not surprised he was carrying injury as he has been great every other game. I read 22 for Manly broke a 100 mtr record for 19 year olds. He carved us up.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
In the games iv seen Cox n Bailey have been very good and the number 3 played well against Penrith.
A couple of forwards have been consistent with poor handling and putting on the "handbrake" prior to collision.
Rajab was in the ball side two years ago - passing was excellent then but didnt run much - dont think he played last year - this year his running game is so much better and passing still very good

Lomdiddydawg

Waterboy
Reaction score
They can’t play the way they did today leading into finals. Heard the coach wasn’t happy. I don’t blame him. Not the best they have played but if this is their worst then that’s pretty good.
Jersey Flegg will benefit from having more of the SG Ball guys in their team.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Lomdiddydawg

Waterboy
Reaction score
Wow SG Ball boys have been undefeated all season, lucky to come away with a draw. Great start for first 15-20min then all over red rover. They need to pull their finger out next week against the Rabbitohs cause these SG Ball boys are our future.
Laziness and complacency kicked in today but no room for that next week. Hopefully the draw today was a wake up call.