News Bulldogs set to table bumper $3.5m Burton deal as Gould’s recruitment drive continues

Arazern

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Very sad if 3.5 over 4 years is correct, better off with Munster with that stupid money.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Lol you lot are a bunch of nutbags.

Burton is 22, this is his first full season as a starting NRL half, he has been tasked with igniting one of the worst attacks in the NRL era, and for the most part, he has done an excellent job of it. Young sides are going to have days where everything goes wrong, and so are young playmakers. If people are expecting Burton to not have hiccups along the way, they are living in lala land, to be honest.

How many 22-year-olds are there who have already played origin, won a Dally M positional award and are the main playmaker of their team? 3.5 million is a bit over what I would have liked us to pay him, but you know what? He's a future superstar of the game. If that is what it takes to lock him up, it's money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

I bet a lot of the people blowing up about this (reported but as yet unconfirmed) figure are the same people who would be blowing up if we let him go and he went on to become an elite superstar at another club. If the club is willing to pay that much, it's because they know they have something special. Gus is no idiot.

MOVE.80

M-Power
Reaction score
Lol you lot are a bunch of nutbags.

Burton is 22, this is his first full season as a starting NRL half, he has been tasked with igniting one of the worst attacks in the NRL era, and for the most part, he has done an excellent job of it. Young sides are going to have days where everything goes wrong, and so are young playmakers. If people are expecting Burton to not have hiccups along the way, they are living in lala land, to be honest.

How many 22-year-olds are there who have already played origin, won a Dally M positional award and are the main playmaker of their team? 3.5 million is a bit over what I would have liked us to pay him, but you know what? He's a future superstar of the game. If that is what it takes to lock him up, it's money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

I bet a lot of the people blowing up about this (reported but as yet unconfirmed) figure are the same people who would be blowing up if we let him go and he went on to become an elite superstar at another club. If the club is willing to pay that much, it's because they know they have something special. Gus is no idiot.
Well said, Flanagun.

If you weren't partnering him in the halves he probably could've commanded $9.3m per season.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Well said, Flanagun.

If you weren't partnering him in the halves he probably could've commanded $9.3m per season.
Wow, if that's the case I wonder how much he would be worth if Wakeham or Avo were still playing 7.... lol

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wheres announcements, we got flogged the other day, ease our pain.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I believe some recalibration of a player's worth is necessary since it looks like the Salary Cap will be increasing from the current $9.2m ($9.7m before the Covid 6% discount) to somewhere around $12m. AND there are still only 30 players included, with a 30% increase in the Cap the simple maths is a player that was worth $500k this season is now worth $650k next season. Where ~$1m this year was pretty close to top dollar, next year that bar is $1.3m.

But wait there's more, most players with carry over contracts into next year (or further) won't have ratchet clauses, so they will still be on what they are on now unless there is mutual (club and player) renegotiation. Since the limit is still 30 players that means those negotiating new contracts for next year (like Burton) are in a very strong bargaining position to get more than a 30% pay rise. Other players will just have to catch up when their contract renewal time comes around.

Players and their agents have already recalibrated their negotiations and I certainly hope that our club (via Gould's spreadsheet) has too, otherwise we are going to get left behind.

Always a Bulldog