News Bulldogs set to seek salary cap relief for second time in three months

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just read that Gllen has come out and said injuries are just part of sport, in reference to Pays complaints about the current system.
He went on to suggest that of you want to minimize the amount of money lost, dont buy rep players, or dont pay overs for players

How fucking dumb is this ****!! Seriously. First of all, Pay didnt sign Foran, and more importantly, regardless of what you pay, thesystem is fucked!!! As it stands, the club whom the I hired player plays for is the one that cops the entire amount of money lost for their stat player to play a rep game on the NTLs behalf.
In his defence his head has been bashed in for 20+ years. He has a point but I wouldn't listen to it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We will apply the same strategy this year as the one that delivered DWZ.

Wait for the season to start and then pounce on a quality player that is not loving life at their current club

These guys usually have a point to prove and we welcome them with open arms
Would that even work? Foran and Smith would be back at that stage.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul Gallen you irrelevant fuck tard. How have we paid overs for Chris Smith you clown?

kissed on the dick hack footballer he is.

won 1 premiership between salary cap breach years, makes it a massive * forever cheats.

drug cheat

played fuck loads of NSW games forever hogging the ball like it was his last pay packet to give us 1 fricken win.

LOSER of the HIGHEST order.

fuck off back to under your rock clown.

Last edited:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh well, thats the token gesture, better than nothing when we used to get nothing.
Greenberg doesn't always see the big picture.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
A few things, one, we only have 29 players registered so we have a spot available. Two, from what I have heard we have kept around the 5% of Cap available (~$480k) that the NRL allows, same as we did last year. And three, we have development player spots free, so we can promote/demote. Lastly, we don’t have to finalise the roster until 30th June.
Add it up and we have wiggle room in Cap space, player #’s and the time to fit pretty much any scenario. Which, the way I look at it, is rather smart Salary Cap and player roster management.
We will apply the same strategy this year as the one that delivered DWZ.
Wait for the season to start and then pounce on a quality player that is not loving life at their current club
These guys usually have a point to prove and we welcome them with open arms
Would that even work? Foran and Smith would be back at that stage.
It's complex, there's salary cap compliance, no of players and timing to consider. Plus within those constraints, the actual payment of cash (salary, match payments, etc) is irrelevant because we can afford it. I know it's obvious to some, but the NRL doesn't write us a cheque for $350k and we hand that cheque over to the player we choose to replace Foran for however many games he misses. The Salary Cap is a whole of year measurement, $9.6m from November 2019 to October 2020. Effectively the NRL says that we now have $9,600k + $350k = $9,950k for the year. With $350k allocated for Foran's replacement, plus whatever the NRL allocates for Smith and for his replacement. Plus we may have the 5% ($480k) currently spare in our Cap that the NRL allows.

FWIW I have run a number of scenarios past 2 player agents and they are as confused as we are. Before any player's contract can be registered with the NRL they (ther NRL) has to agree to it. So there would have to be some lengthy negotiations between us and the NRL on exactly how to achieve what we want.

As a result the permutations are almost endless, in simple terms we can, say, recruit a player to "replace" Foran and pay him up to $350k for the time Foran isn't playing. Then we can add him to our roster if we are still at 29 players, and pay him whatever his contract is. For example we recruit,say, a $500k a year player and pay him $350k while Foran isn't playing and then $150K for the rest of the season. There's ample justification for it as he's filling in for Foran so we have to pay him a higher rate than when he isn't filling in for Foran. At the other extreme we could recruit an $830k a year player and pay him $350k while Foran isn't playing and then $480K for the rest of the season.

Complex, as I said.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Too many blows to the head for gallen
I knew the day would come Alzz - we actually agree on something! :-).
Gallen should, in your terms STFU and go boxing - which will result in him making even less sense.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good so they should it shouldn’t be pay it has to be one of the management staffers and find a worthy replacement

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Be great to get compensation, and then go after someone like Harry Grant who is struggling to get a start at Melb and can't be transferred to the Tigers at this point. He looks like a star in the making, and it would be great to have one spine position setup for the future.